The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 07, 2000, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Paul -

And then the coach will be coaching the next game. T him up twice and eject him. Problem solved. And then coach gets to coach next game, T him up twice and problem is solved. And then.........Circus time. I too am an honorable man and that is why I would not ref a game with such a disgrace to the sport as this coach is. "Up by 45 and he is screaming at the refs and ejected." Gets to coach the very next game. By the way, I coached AAU for both my boys in upstate NY. This very situation happened with one of the coaches. The refs refused to officiate the game and the rules committee did a "rule change" on the fly and suspended the coach for 1 game. The team was also not invited to the tournament following year.NO PROBLEM AFTER THAT.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2000, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Brian -

You have my support on this.

My HS school coach Jack Curran at Archbishop Molloy HS in Jamaica, NY has been coaching for 40 years and was a gentleman on/off the court. Kenny Anderson, Kenny Smith, Brian Winters are just some of the players he coached. I don't ever remember him getting a T.

I would think you would get support for that proposal even from some of the AAU coaches who are fed up with behavior of some of their peers.

Jack
Old Fri Apr 07, 2000, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not to throw more gas on this fire... I found the following regulation in the AAU handbook:

Section IV, D,

1. All teams must have at least two (2) registered coaches on the bench during all games at the National Championship.

I am not sure what the definition of National Championship is, but, does this mean a forfeit if an ejection leaves only one coach?

Old Fri Apr 07, 2000, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

We have 3 registered coaches on my team, so you could in theory be down one and still play. None of mine will get ejected or they can take their card with them! You need to have a card to be on the bench, and you need two coaches at the start, probably in case one gets ejected.

BTW - I would support the rule change as well. Eliminate excessive behavior by "adults" at kids competitions.
Old Sat Apr 08, 2000, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

The aau has modified their reply to me. In [b]Girls Tournament Competition, if a
coach is ejected with two T's he/she must leave the game and facility. They may coach the next game, but, if they are tossed from that game, they cannot coach the rest of the
tourney.

Bottom line, for girls if they are tossed back-to- back, they're out the balance of the tourney.

I forgot the email addresses of the proper aau people to send our "email petitions", but I will post them on a separate thread so anyone who wishes to voice their opinion to them may. I would encourage having local assoc. members send emails as well.