View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

I don't care if you take action after the tournament in any of the ways I suggested. But I feel that if you have agreed to referee under the terms of the tournament's rules, the coach's behavior better be completely beyond the pale to back out of that commitment. This is not the first coach that has excessively demonstrated his displeasure and will not be the last. I don't think that telling a tournament when it should suspend a coach is an appropriate action for a referee except 1) in advance of the tournament when you ar dealing with the general case or 2) under extreme conditions that could not be foreseen. I agree that these guys should be suspended for excessive demonstration at kids games, but that is a league/tournament issue. If they don't put it in the league/tournament rules in advance, the officials are sometimes in a bind as to handling these situations. This is especially true of those on the courts, who frequently are not empowered as policy makers. Voice your opinion to the powers that be, then do the game. Again, you can deal with the coach with preventive officiating up front and with Ts during the game. Warn the coach in advance, and kick him out again when he acts up. But ref the game as you agreed to do when you accepted the offer to ref that tournament. And never again if they won't change the rules next time.