View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil:
Tim -

There is strength in numbers. Here is what I would have done. Have my partner and myself refuse to officiate the game if this coach is allowed to continue coaching for the tournament. Speak to the rest of the refs and get solidarity on this issue. Basically, refuse to officiate any more games until this coach is banned.

This ought to put THEM (the tournament coordinators)between a rock and a hard place, instead of putting YOU between a rock and a hard place.

I should preface my remarks by saying 1) I was not there and do not know how badly this coach behaved (and some can be awful) 2) I accept the premise that this coach was way out of line in the game that he was ejected. 3) I usually agree with what most of you experienced refs say, particularly with regard to game management and dealing with problem situations.

However . . . this is one of those cases where I think you need to deal with the rules and not write them on the fly. This coach may have learned (probably not), may have had a bad day/game, etc. If the league or tournament does not have a suspension policy based on ejection from a game, it is not the place of the referees to stage a walkout. Ref the game, T him up if he is out of line, use your preventive officiating upfront by warning both coaches about zero tolerance for excessive abuse. No need to reference specific cases, just say there have been problems with some teams/coaches and you are on the lookout and will not tolerate that type of behavior. Document all extreme behavior and deal with the coach's association in an appropriate manner.

In addition - Lobby the association to change its policies for ejections. Refuse to ref future tournaments if adequate safeguards are not in place. But do not forsake the responsibility that you accepted when your association agreed to ref the tournament under the rules governing that competition.