View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by doghead:
This is an interesting subject and one with which I could definitely use some advice. I am a first year female official. This year I worked about 30 girls' parochial grade school (5th through 8th grades) games, and a few high school girls' scrimmages and a CYO game. In general, it was a good first year. I made plenty of mistakes and learned much from everyone of them. I worked with some real good people who went out of their way to help me learn. Anyway, to the point...I worked this post-season, girls' high school tournament last friday night. One of the coaches was brutal. He screamed at me and my partner (also a woman) the entire game. Maybe it's a lack of confidence at this point in time, but I really didn't have the guts to boot this guy out of the gym. After the game, he bellowed across the floor to my partner "YOU SHOULD NOT BE OFFICIATING!" Is there any advice you can give to a newcomer like myself with regards to "handling" this type of coach? Do you try to "talk" to him to get him to calm down? How much is too much? I've worked very hard to study and know the rules thoroughly this year. I think despite some erroneous judgement calls, I've done an adequate job. Several coaches this year complimented me...I was stunned!!! Thanks for your help in advance...I look forward to reading your replies!

doghead dont get discouraged this is not an easy sport too officiate everything happens in the blink of an eye. positioning and movement is everything out there, keep up the good work. when dealing with coaches im consistent, if they get out of line i will let them know we are not having it! after i do my pregame i call both coaches over and tell them too shake hands and give them the low down. im the official and your the coach so let us do our job and we will let you do yours and this is your warning, t's will be accessed accordingly after the jump ball lets have a good game. and they love it, i have never given a coach a T that didnt deserve it. if you would like to email and ask questions my addy is [email protected]
tim