The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

I'm a 16 yr. old baskeball junkie. I play, watch, ref and coach. This year I've signed up with my local officiating association so that I can become certified. Tonight I ran into a serious problem with one of the senior officials. Seven of us took turns officiating a junior-high level intra-squad game. As we moved up and down the court a senior official would shadow us and critique our performance as we went. As you might imagine it was a rather nerve-wracking experience. I've been refereeing relatively high level ball for the past four years (high school JV and under) but have received little formal instruction so my mechanics leave something to be desired. Anyways, the senior official that was shadowing me also happens to hold an executive post in the association. He’s also a bit of a jerk. He’d mentioned a couple times that I was bending at the waist to see plays instead of moving my feet. He called me on it for a third time when I thought I was doing a good job of avoiding it. When I said that I thought I had been doing it properly he went ballistic. “SHUT UP. I think you have an attitude. You’re too cocky. If you don’t want to listen to me than I shouldn’t even bother to come out. I’ve done this a lot longer than you have and I don’t come here to have some kid disagree with me.” Me: “No, sir” Him: “SHUT UP. If you think we’re wrong don’t say anything.” Now ordinarily I’d just take the reprimand and live with it but I feel he was way out of line. I’ve written him a letter that first apologizes, secondly explains why I was having difficulty changing my deeply ingrained habit and thirdly states that I feel he also acted improperly. We’re taught to never tell a coach to shut up- regardless of any insinuations about your honesty or ancestry. Why is it okay for him to show me up in front of my fellow officials, the players and the coaches? My question is should I mail the letter?