View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

One of the first words of advice I ever received about officiating camps or evaluations was, "Listen, and keep your mouth shut". The ref who told me this is now in the NBA so I think he knows what he is talking about. I agree with Rut that this evaluator was out of line. However, just as you are learing how to be a better official, he may be learning how to be a better evaluator and trainer.
If his tactic was to see how you would react, then IMO that is wrong. As long as you treated him with respect, (and I don't think telling him you thought you were working hard to not bend at the waist rather than moving to see a play better, indicates disrepect) he should treat you the same way.I have been fortunate to have been taught by some of the best in the business. Never, ever, did I feel disrespected by them. Did they ever have to speak forcefully to get their points across? Yes. But it was always done in a atmosphere of helping to improve.
Chalk it up to experience. Next time you are evaluated, listen, take what you need, and when you get more experience, discard the clutter. If you need to ask a question, do so in a non-confrontational manner. (such as "I understand what you are saying, but I have a question")
Officiating can be extremely rewarding, and a great career.
(Better than slinging Burgers when you're 16)
Keep up the good work.
Drake