The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Attempt At Wrong Basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61502-attempt-wrong-basket.html)

Gargil Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:36am

Attempt At Wrong Basket

6th Grade girls game, A1 recieves inbounds pass from sideline, dribbles to wrong basket and shoots, she misses and moves to get her own rebound, I called traveling. Is this the correct call? because it was not a shot attempt she was basically passing the ball to herself. Was traveling correct??

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 724135)
6th Grade girls game, A1 recieves inbounds pass from sideline, dribbles to wrong basket and shoots, she misses and moves to get her own rebound, I called traveling. Is this the correct call? because it was not a shot attempt she was basically passing the ball to herself. Was traveling correct??

See case book play 9.5(b)

Gargil Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21am

So after looking in the case book it appears I should have called a double dribble, not traveling.

Loudwhistle Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 724161)
So after looking in the case book it appears I should have called a double dribble, not traveling.

correct

bainsey Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32am

I never looked at it this way before, but if A-1 dribbles and makes a layup off Team B's backboard, do we always wave off Team B's points and go with a double dribble against A-1?

It also sounds to me like the points would count if the layup never hits the backboard.

just another ref Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 724172)
I never looked at it this way before, but if A-1 dribbles and makes a layup off Team B's backboard, do we always wave off Team B's points and go with a double dribble against A-1?

It also sounds to me like the points would count if the layup never hits the backboard.

In this case the second "dribble" is not a dribble unless and until it comes back to the player who threw it.

bainsey Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 724176)
In this case the second "dribble" is not a dribble unless and until it comes back to the player who threw it.

Okay, so the "dribble" is complete on the touch from the backboard, and not the backboard itself. Got it. Thanks.

referee99 Mon Jan 31, 2011 01:17pm

Opponents Backboard = Floor ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 724187)
Okay, so the "dribble" is complete on the touch from the backboard, and not the backboard itself. Got it. Thanks.

...in this case. Helps think about it.

mbyron Mon Jan 31, 2011 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 724187)

No, the dribble was complete when the dribbler touched the ball with both hands or held it prior to throwing it at the wrong basket.

The ball touching the backboard doesn't constitute the start of a new dribble unless it comes back down without going through the basket. So if this "shot" is missed, it's an illegal dribble; if made, it's 2 points for the opponent and their ball underneath. Either way, the ball is dead when it comes back down.

Eastshire Mon Jan 31, 2011 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 724235)
No, the dribble was complete when the dribbler touched the ball with both hands or held it prior to throwing it at the wrong basket.

The ball touching the backboard doesn't constitute the start of a new dribble unless it comes back down without going through the basket. So if this "shot" is missed, it's an illegal dribble; if made, it's 2 points for the opponent and their ball underneath. Either way, the ball is dead when it comes back down.

If it comes back down to the same player. If A1 "shoots" at B's basket and the ball hits the backboard and rebounds to A2, all we have is a bounce pass and the ball is live.