The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

3 Man Lead Question

I was reviewing some game film and came across a play that I missed. I was in the Lead after a defensive rebound was secured. I am opposite table and the girl secures the rebound in the center of the lane and facing the table where the Center is. I am looking at her back in the Lead, while the Center has a good view of her front. A defender comes in and I "see" her arm go around the player with the ball and in the direction of where she is holding the ball. The offensive player gives the common shake off trying to (what I presumed) get the ball loose. I go up with the held ball, but in reviewing the tape my partner in the Center is starting to go up with the foul but doesnt as I come in with the held ball. However it should have been a foul.

Is there any way to handle this type situation as the Lead? If you are blocked like this should you leave the call to the center official as he has a view of the front of the player and play (if the action happens up front)?

Thanks!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

My take...dont guess and trust your partners to see fouls that are "gotta gets" on plays like this.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Take this as just advice, not saying right or wrong: I used to feel like "I've got to have something." Now I realize that is why we have partners. Watch the play, see your partner in your peripheral vision. If you see he is watching the play, trust your partner while you are stepping to get a better angle if possible. It's okay to have nothing there. What I'm curious about, if we have a double whistle on a tie up sitch where my partner has a held ball and I have illegal contact that allowed B1 to tie up that ball, I'm coming in HARD with the foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
I was reviewing some game film and came across a play that I missed. I was in the Lead after a defensive rebound was secured. I am opposite table and the girl secures the rebound in the center of the lane and facing the table where the Center is. I am looking at her back in the Lead, while the Center has a good view of her front. A defender comes in and I "see" her arm go around the player with the ball and in the direction of where she is holding the ball. The offensive player gives the common shake off trying to (what I presumed) get the ball loose. I go up with the held ball, but in reviewing the tape my partner in the Center has a foul and it shold have been a foul.

Is there any way to handle this type situation as the Lead? If you are blocked like this should you leave the call to the center official as he has a view of the front of the player and play (if the action happens up front)?

Thanks!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Take this as just advice, not saying right or wrong: I used to feel like "I've got to have something." Now I realize that is why we have partners. Watch the play, see your partner in your peripheral vision. If you see he is watching the play, trust your partner while you are stepping to get a better angle if possible. It's okay to have nothing there. What I'm curious about, if we have a double whistle on a tie up sitch where my partner has a held ball and I have illegal contact that allowed B1 to tie up that ball, I'm coming in HARD with the foul.
He didn't go up all the way or he probably would have, in fact he didn't have a whistle, just arm movement.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
My opinion...unless it's absolutely, clearly, a clean held ball, call the foul. From your description of the play, which we've all seen many times, it's unlikely that contact did not occur to "gain the advantage" of placing a hand on the ball. By opting for the held ball, you'll be making "decisions" on that play all night. By calling a foul, you send the message that it will be good clean defense, or a special place on the bench picking splinters. You could classify it as a "game management foul".
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
My opinion...unless it's absolutely, clearly, a clean held ball, call the foul. From your description of the play, which we've all seen many times, it's unlikely that contact did not occur to "gain the advantage" of placing a hand on the ball. By opting for the held ball, you'll be making "decisions" on that play all night. By calling a foul, you send the message that it will be good clean defense, or a special place on the bench picking splinters. You could classify it as a "game management foul".
Boo. Absolutely, couldn't disagree more. Don't guess.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 06:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
That says it all right there. You're blocked. Therefore you're guessing. Guessing is never good. You're never going to guess right 100% of the time.

The right call when you're blocked is always no call.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 25, 2011 at 07:02am.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 06:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
"Game Management" is calling a foul on a player when you never actually saw a foul committed?

Lah me.....

You've got me confused (which isn't that unusual). Aren't we supposed to be making decisions on every play? They're all different, aren't they? Every time a defender reaches in to try and tie up the ball, we have to decide whether they fouled doing so, tied it up or we should let play continue. Period. We sureasheck shouldn't be calling it a foul every time in the name of "game management".

My opinion is that's bad advice. From the description of the play, the official was blocked and couldn't see anything. You should only call a foul if it's absolutely, clearly a foul. You should only call a held ball if it's absolutely, clearly a held ball. If you start guessing, guess wrong and it wasn't a foul, what message do you think you're sending in that case?

The play is what it is. It doesn't have to be anything.

Never call what you can't see.

JMO

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 25, 2011 at 07:46am.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 07:01am
This IS My Social Life

Open Hand Option?

"When in Nome, do what the Nomans do." Here in the Alaska-like conditions of the area across the lake from Rut some crews include in the pregame the question, "Are you going to be crashing with an open hand, or with thumbs up?"
With the "crash with the open hand" option upon an apparent held ball situation, one official will whistle, close in with an open hand to stop the clock just prior to giving the thumbs up, then take a split second to glance at a partner to see if he also has a whistle. This allows the brief opportunity to see if your partner, having a better view of the play, is coming in with a fist in the air. If so, the fist usually wins and the open hand is lowered to yield to his call. If, as sometimes happens when two players firmly grasp the ball and one yanks the other across his/her body, the held ball caused the foul, then a brief caucus clarifies that and they go with the held ball.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 07:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
"When in Nome, do what the Nomans do." Here in the Alaska-like conditions of the area across the lake from Rut some crews include in the pregame the question, "Are you going to be crashing with an open hand, or with thumbs up?"
With the "crash with the open hand" option upon an apparent held ball situation, one official will whistle, close in with an open hand to stop the clock just prior to giving the thumbs up, then take a split second to glance at a partner to see if he also has a whistle. This allows the brief opportunity to see if your partner, having a better view of the play, is coming in with a fist in the air. If so, the fist usually wins and the open hand is lowered to yield to his call. If, as sometimes happens when two players firmly grasp the ball and one yanks the other across his/her body, the held ball caused the foul, then a brief caucus clarifies that and they go with the held ball.
You Nomans do realize that you aren't using proper NFHS signals or mechanics, I hope, when you do that. If you look at the correct signal for a jump/held ball...#3 on the chart in the rulebook...you'll notice that the explanation under that signal says "stop clock for jump/held ball." Iow, you're already stopping the clock with signal #3 and the open-hand stop-clock signal ( #2) is never needed for any held ball. It's extraneous.

I'm not saying that isn't a good local mechanic as long as everybody knows it's a local mechanic only. I couldn't really care less about the signal you use. Getting the call right is the important thing.

A better idea though imo in situations like this is to just NOT whistle or signal at all until you're absolutely sure it was either a foul or a held ball. Then make the appropriate call. Doo-doo does happen though. That's why we have blarges. And if we do end up with a foul and a held ball called on the play, well, the officials just have to get together and decide which occurred first.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 25, 2011 at 07:48am.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:04am
This IS My Social Life

10-4 Good Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You Nomans do realize that you aren't using proper NFHS signals or mechanics, I hope, when you do that. If you look at the correct signal for a jump/held ball...#3 on the chart in the rulebook...you'll notice that the explanation under that signal says "stop clock for jump/held ball." Iow, you're already stopping the clock with signal #3 and the open-hand stop-clock signal ( #2) is never needed for any held ball. It's extraneous.

I'm not saying that isn't a good local mechanic as long as everybody knows it's a local mechanic only. I couldn't really care less about the signal you use. Getting the call right is the important thing.
I agree with all stated. And it was something that took a game or so to get accustomed to. It was rationalized to me that there's nothing out of order to stop the clock with an open hand then quickly signal the held ball as the reason for stopping the clock as a seperate gesture. That there were actually two non-foul signals to stop the clock, the upraised open hand and the thumbs up. I won't say that most around here do it, but locally it is especially common amongst the more quality officials. I by no means do it when anyone else on the crew isn't doing it. That lack of uniformity indeed makes it stand out as something too individualistic.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I was reviewing some game film and came across a play that I missed. I was in the Lead after a defensive rebound was secured. I am opposite table and the girl secures the rebound in the center of the lane and facing the table where the Center is. I am looking at her back in the Lead, while the Center has a good view of her front. A defender comes in and I "see" her arm go around the player with the ball and in the direction of where she is holding the ball. The offensive player gives the common shake off trying to (what I presumed) get the ball loose. I go up with the held ball, but in reviewing the tape my partner in the Center is starting to go up with the foul but doesnt as I come in with the held ball. However it should have been a foul.

Thanks!
The key thing here is that you don't see the tie-up. You're looking through a back and guessing. That's been said many times already, so no need to pile on.

If you have a C that doesn't bail, let the C pick this one up. If you're working 2-person, hopefully the L hasn't bailed and is in a good position to help. If not, wait a beat and see if the play resolves itself (ball is clearly tied up or you can clearly see a foul) or if you can get a better angle.

As far as the held ball vs. a foul, clearly your partner didn't have conviction of his call or he would've came in and sold it. I have no problem with me signaling a held ball and a partner calling a foul. Whining coaches are told that the contact lead to the held ball and life goes on.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:26am
This IS My Social Life

Or Versa Vice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Whining coaches are told that the contact lead to the held ball and life goes on.
. . . or that the held ball led to the contact. As when two players have firm grasps on the ball, then one of them yanks and twists, bringing the other's arm in contact with his/her counterpart's body. Seems this is commonly called a foul on the innocent player whose arm just happened to get yanked across the other player's midsection. "The held ball preceeded the contact, coach."
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
. . . or that the held ball led to the contact. As when two players have firm grasps on the ball, then one of them yanks and twists, bringing the other's arm in contact with his/her counterpart's body. Seems this is commonly called a foul on the innocent player whose arm just happened to get yanked across the other player's midsection. "The held ball preceeded the contact, coach."
Oh, sure. I was thinking about the situation where the player goes through the arm to tie the ball up. Certainly it can happen the other way.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought Jeff lived in the Chicago area?