The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:51pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There are 43 responses to the OP. You have 14 of them -- more than anyone else. Most are variations on the card game crap and add nothing to what is (at least to me) an interesting intellectual exercise.

Cut it out.

Please.
Bob, there are 43 threads in which Billy has posted "excessive" jokes. In 14 of them, you've objected -- more than anyone else.

Cut it out.

Please.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Bob, there are 43 threads in which Billy has posted "excessive" jokes. In 14 of them, you've objected -- more than anyone else.

Cut it out.

Please.
For the record, Bob said what I was thinking.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I personally like the elegance of saying that since he hit his foot he didn't push the ball to the floor but to his foot and therefore didn't start a dribble.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Captain Kangaroo's Magic Words, Please, And Thank You ...

Quote:
Most are variations on the card game crap and add nothing to what is (at least to me) an interesting intellectual exercise. Cut it out. Please. On the OP, I'm ruling it legal.
I also, from the get go, found it to be an interesting intellectual challange. In most of my posts I not only voiced my opinion, and my reasons for said opinion, but also chose to use "pretend" parlimentary procedure, a chess game, and later a poker game, analogy to challenge others to keep the debate going. Seldom did I just post an analogy.

Appreciate the "Please".

Regarding the OP being legal, how about my followup situation?

A1 receives a pass and releases the ball to start a dribble. The ball hits the top of his foot, never touching the floor, and bounces straight up. A1 then catches the ball with both hands, and starts a new dribble? What do you got?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 02:25pm.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A1 receives a pass and releases the ball to start a dribble. The ball hits the top of his foot, never touching the floor, and bounces straight up. A1 then catches the ball with both hands, and starts a new dribble? What do you got?
If I really saw that, legal (assuming there was no other violation).

In practice, I think I'd think the ball had hit the floor.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fumble, Dribble ...

Quote:
Would you consider tihs a fumble followed by a dribble?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fumble, Dribble ...

Quote:
Would you consider this a fumble followed by a dribble?

Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

After going through the dribble and travel rules, assuming that "to the floor" means the ball has to hit the floor to be a "dribble", the play is legal if the player doesnt travel before hand. If this would happen during a dribble, it would be a an illegal dribble in billy's play.

Though I think this play would only occur in bizzarro world because I still cannot imagine any situation to where a dribbler can do this without another player touching the ball.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take a try...

Kicked ball? My reason being, anyone able to get the ball to come immediately back to him may be doing some "purposeful maneuvering" meaning intent. I don't know that I would call that, nobody else has suggested it.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 05:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
After going through the dribble and travel rules, assuming that "to the floor" means the ball has to hit the floor to be a "dribble", the play is legal if the player doesnt travel before hand.
Methinks you're assuming a little too much. By rule (4-15-3), the dribble started when the ball was pushed, thrown or batted to the floor. Iow, when the ball left the dribbler's hand(s).

Are you saying a player that:
1) it's legal to touch the ball twice before the ball hits the floor for the first time
on a dribble?
2) A player can travel during a dribble?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 05:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm ruling it legal.
Interesting.

Explanation as to why it's legal? Scrappy said that the ball was released to start a dribble and the ball was then touched twice by the dribbler before the ball hit the floor. That double-touch was during the same dribble, wasn't it? The definition of a "dribble" says that you push the ball to the floor, not to a foot. What am I missing?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Interesting.

Explanation as to why it's legal? Scrappy said that the ball was released to start a dribble and the ball was then touched twice by the dribbler before the ball hit the floor. That double-touch was during the same dribble, wasn't it? The definition of a "dribble" says that you push the ball to the floor, not to a foot. What am I missing?
If we follow that this is the same as the case play, then it would have to be an illegal dribble any time a player begins a dribble and the ball hits off his foot-even if the ball goes to a defender.

Agree?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 05:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
If we follow that this is the same as the case play, then it would have to be an illegal dribble any time a player begins a dribble and the ball hits off his foot-even if the ball goes to a defender.

Agree?
Why?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 05:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post

Agree?
Um, no. Afaik, by rule touching any other body part except the hand(s) during any single dribble is completely irrelevant. It's a violation to touch the ball twice with either hand during any single dribble. But simultaneously touching the ball with both hands isn't a violation. Doing so merely ends the dribble.

The usual understanding of a single dribble, again afaik, is hand--->floor---->hand. And if you touch the ball twice with a hand at any time between the total hand---->floor sequence, it's a violation.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 06:03pm.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why?
Well, I'm asking. If the violation is for touching a dribble twice before it hits the floor (which is what it appears to me JR is saying), then any time a player begins a dribble and dribbles it off a foot (or knee, gut, head, whatever), that would be touching a dribble twice.

If I'm misreading what Jurassic is arguing, then I need straightened out. Perhaps he's saying that the player catching the ball off his foot is the second touching?