The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Legal dribble or not?

A1 receives a pass and releases the ball to start a dribble. The ball hits the top of his foot, never touching the floor, and bounces straight up. A1 then bats the ball to the floor.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
A1 receives a pass and releases the ball to start a dribble. The ball hits the top of his foot, never touching the floor, and bounces straight up. A1 then bats the ball to the floor.
Legal.

However? A1 receives a pass and releases the ball to start a dribble. The ball hits the top of his foot, never touching the floor, and bounces straight up. A1 then catches the ball with both hands, and starts a new dribble? What do you got? (Apologies to Bon Jovi)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Hoops Too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
(Apologies to Bon Jovi)
I thought he owned part of an arena football team?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Hmmm. (NFHS) 4-15-2 states a ball may be batted in the air as long as it is allowed to hit the floor before being hit a 2nd time. Does this player bat the ball "in the air?" I don't think so, but is that the only time a player isn't allowed to bat it twice before it hits the floor? It's the only one I could find.

Tentative answer: legal
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Legal.

However? A1 receives a pass and releases the ball to start a dribble. The ball hits the top of his foot, never touching the floor, and bounces straight up. A1 then catches the ball with both hands, and starts a new dribble?
I think these are essentially the same question. Is it a legal dribble when the ball bounces off the body and not the floor?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Point, Counterpoint ...

Quote:
I think these are essentially the same question. Is it a legal dribble when the ball bounces off the body and not the floor?
They are. That's my point.

Is it a legal dribble when the ball bounces off the body and not the floor?

At least we know that it's not a fumble, the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player’s grasp.

Your move.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 12:54pm.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would say illegal using 4.15.4.D plays a or c. I am thinking a coves it better though. Referring to billy's play

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 12:55pm.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

4.15.4 situation d ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I would say illegal using 4.15.4.D plays a or c. I am thinking a covers it better though.
4.15.4 SITUATION D: While dribbling: (a) A1 bats the ball over the head of an
opponent, runs around the opponent, bats the ball to the floor and continues to
dribble; (b) the ball bounces away but A1 is able to get to it and continues to dribble;
(c) the ball hits A1’s foot and bounces away but A1 is able to overtake and
pick it up; or (d) A1 fumbles the ball in ending the dribble so that A1 must run to
recover it. RULING: Violation in (a), because the ball was touched twice by A1’s
hand(s) during a dribble, before it touched the floor. In (b), even though the dribble
was interrupted it has not ended and A1 may continue the dribble. In (c), the
dribble ended when A1 caught the ball; and it ended in (d) when it was fumbled.
Even though the dribble has ended in (c) and (d), A1 may recover the ball but may
not dribble again. (9-5)

Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Actually, if this is a violation, it's a violation regardless of whether he bats it again after it hits his foot. The violation would be for hitting the foot (the 2nd touch of a dribble before it hits the floor).
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I would say illegal using 4.15.4.D plays a or c. I am thinking a coves it better though. Referring to billy's play
Neither case applies, IMO. a refers to a player who has batted the ball into the air; I don't think the plays in this thread were batted "in the air." c isn't even a violation in the case play.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Never Took My Finger Off The Chesspiece ...

Quote:
At least we know that it's not a fumble, the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player’s grasp.
I retract my last move. Maybe it is a fumble. Did the player intentionally plan to "dribble" the ball off his foot. I can't read minds anymore, but I doubt it very much. So maybe it was accidentally and unintentionally fumbled? You can fumble and dribble, right?

Your move.

Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Actually, if this is a violation, it's a violation regardless of whether he bats it again after it hits his foot. The violation would be for hitting the foot (the 2nd touch of a dribble before it hits the floor).
Going back to 4.15.4.D c shows that hitting the foot is legal.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 01:03pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Is hitting the foot the same as hitting the floor? In this case, I think it is. If not, the ball hasn't hit the floor, so the dribble hasn't started yet. Either way, no violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Going back to 4.15.4.D c shows that hitting the foot is legal.
good point, I just re-read 4-15-2, and it qualifies the 2nd touch (illegal) as being with the hands. It wouldn't be a violation until the player bats it a 2nd time with his hands.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Is hitting the foot the same as hitting the floor? In this case, I think it is. If not, the ball hasn't hit the floor, so the dribble hasn't started yet. Either way, no violation.
I agree it's not a violation, but I think it's because the ball is never batted "in the air."

Change the play, A1, during his dribble, bats the ball in the air over B1's head. He attempts to let it hit the floor legally before continuing the dribble, but his foot gets in the way. It hits his foot and bounces up, then he bats the ball to the floor and continues on his way.

I've got a violatin here, he batted it in the air and hit it again with his hand prior to the ball hitting the floor.