The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
I've never handed out a lot of T's. In my early days though, I did adhere to the advice that certain acts were automatic T's. In retrospect though, many of them were not really necessary. Eg. When a player commits a foul, then slams the ball against the floor and catches it because he's angry at himself, it's probably not a T'able offense in my book. A few words with that player to make sure he's back in the right frame of mind will go further toward game control than calling a technical foul. It's hard to imagine any referee going through too many seasons without issuing a single "T", but if they're a routine part of nearly every game, we may want to re-evaluate our criteria for calling them.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 03:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
I've never handed out a lot of T's. In my early days though, I did adhere to the advice that certain acts were automatic T's. In retrospect though, many of them were not really necessary. Eg. When a player commits a foul, then slams the ball against the floor and catches it because he's angry at himself, it's probably not a T'able offense in my book. A few words with that player to make sure he's back in the right frame of mind will go further toward game control than calling a technical foul. It's hard to imagine any referee going through too many seasons without issuing a single "T", but if they're a routine part of nearly every game, we may want to re-evaluate our criteria for calling them.
While I'm not as concerned with whether a technical foul works to control the game, I agree that in some situations (ball slammed and caught immediately) call for either a quick chat or nothing.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While I'm not as concerned with whether a technical foul works to control the game...
Maybe this discussion should morph into "the purpose of technical fouls".

The "T" was placed into the rule book as a tool to maintain order and sportsmanship. It shouldn't be viewed as a weapon.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 04:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
Maybe this discussion should morph into "the purpose of technical fouls".

The "T" was placed into the rule book as a tool to maintain order and sportsmanship. It shouldn't be viewed as a weapon.
I never said I saw it as a weapon. It's a rule to be enforced. You're right about why, but too many officials try to judge a technical foul after the fact by asking if it made the game better. The answer to that question is irrelevant in determining whether it was a good T or not.

Calling the T when it's needed (due to the behavior) will generally make the game better; but if it doesn't, that doesn't mean it wasn't a good T.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 06:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Here's what happen- Player drives to the basket and deliberately avoids contact and adjusts his shot, he misses, then he yells at me "Come on Call the foul".
I passed on T'ing up a kid this year for doing the same thing and I kick myself for having done so. I did at least get in his ear and advised him that conducting himself in such a manner would not be beneficial for him. He got the message but I still think I should have stuck him.

I haven't worked a lot this year but I don't have many Ts. Only two, one for a player mouthing off after a call (in the same game as the one I passed on) and one for a push after a foul. Players and coaches have been pretty well behaved otherwise.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 06:43pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I passed on T'ing up a kid this year for doing the same thing and I kick myself for having done so.
I've said it many times before, I regret the T's I don't give more than the T's I do.....as I don't regret them at all.

Interestingly enough, I have a game this week with a team where I regret not giving the JV coach a T last yr. While he certainly starts with a clean slate this game, I haven't forgotten........

Does that sound too much like like Padgett?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 08:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've called 4 in 33 games this season. Two head coaches, two players (one because of an incident with another player -- partner got the technical on the other player -- and one just Friday night on someone who demonstrated a bit too much on a foul called by one of my partners). I don't get too caught up with the numbers, although I do look back at situations to see if I think I handled them properly.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I think that this could have been a 'talk to", a warning, or a technical foul. It is one where you have to be there to see and hear how the player said what he said.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Without looking at all the other replies, I would have passed.

Edit: Re-read the OP. Missed the yelled at me part.
I would call it.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 10:55am.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Without looking at all the other replies, I would have passed.
If he yells this in your face you really have no choice but to whack'em!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

It's interesting to read/see the different tolerances of different officials...weather reading scenarios here or actually watching officials in real live games.

Since we are presently talking about handing out Ts (or not)...here is a scenario to consider:

Your partner calls a shooting foul. While s/he is going to report the foul...you go to Lead to administer the FT. A player is holding the ball, but as you approach...the player either places the ball on the floor or simply rolls it away.

What do you do?

If you want some rule guidance (or not)...10-3-5b
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 11:33am.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I have only called one T this year. There were probably times I could have whacked a player or coach but I choose to talk with them instead. I think it serves the same purpose in many ways. I have no problem issuing a T if after a verbal warning, the situation continues. Of course there are those situations that warrant a T immediately. I look at each situation individually. basketball is a competitive sport and this emotions run high - sometimes a warning will put those emotions in check and sometimes it won't.

In the case of the OP, while I like to verbally warn first, if a player yells at me, this is an automatic T. My verbal warning is then that a second T will result in ejection
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:47pm
Esteemed Participant

I gave out 4 T's last week! That's more than I usually have in a season...3 on Coaches: 1) Freshman Boys coach 8 feet out on the court screaming at my partner on an over-and-back call...2)Varsity Boys coach "You three should be ashamed at how badly you are screwing us"...3)Varsity Girls coach chasing my partner down the sideline giving him the big wave-off behind his back. 1 on a player for shoving opponent after the whistle as partner is going to table to report foul.

Weird week...
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't given a T in years but in soccer I hand out yellow cards like candy on Halloween. I wonder how much the other sports you work effect your tolerance. I've only told a coach to knock it off once all season in basketball. Could it be that the level of complaining I receive in soccer has made me too insensitive for basketball?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've had a few like that, too.

what does this mean? i'm in my 3rd year, new to the forum...i don't want to become "that guy."

/thanks