The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

How many "T"'s do you call per year?

Last year I called about 15 to 20. I had a shorter fuse and most of my "T"s were good. 1 or 2 I should have been more patient.

This year. Zero in December ( keep in mind I work 6 nights a week and double up 2 to 3 nights a week, so I do a lot of games. I'd say I have about 100 this season total. About 40 of those are HS Varsity. )

January 4. All good calls. 1 for a punch, 2 for players mouthing off and 1 for contact after the whistle.

February 3. All good calls. 2 profanity and 1 coach sounding off after being warned.

That's me. What about each of you?
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

40 this year for HS varsity :0 omg!!!

Last year I had about 7-9 between jv and var -- and this year I had maybe 4 3 Var and 1 JV. None this year on a coach and only 1 last year on a coach.

but 40 in one season!!!!! I cannot comment on whether they were earned or not but I do know around here if it turns out that an official is calling a lot of T's it raises a lot of red flags.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Last year I called about 15 to 20. I had a shorter fuse and most of my "T"s were good. 1 or 2 I should have been more patient.

This year. Zero in December ( keep in mind I work 6 nights a week and double up 2 to 3 nights a week, so I do a lot of games. I'd say I have about 100 this season total. About 40 of those are HS Varsity. )

January 4. All good calls. 1 for a punch, 2 for players mouthing off and 1 for contact after the whistle.

February 3. All good calls. 2 profanity and 1 coach sounding off after being warned.

You've called 100 technicals this year? 40 in varsity alone? I think I've called six which includes one kid reaching over the line and slapping the ball on a throw-in.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

I have refereed 40 Varsity games. About 100 games total.

I have called 7 "T"'s this season.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

During a single night of intramurals at UNH we play about 18 games and average between 1.5 & 2 T's per night (our numbers may be skewed because we T for dunking to save rims & jewelry for insurance reasons) but the majority of T's are for too much talk or the occasional physical altercation.

I tend to throw down a few less T's than average because I put in a good deal of face time with the players and coaches before the game , our referee pool is also kind of small so we are all pretty well known and coaches don't really push us too much.

There was one night 2 months ago that I called 2 T's from the bench as a supervisor (controversial I know) because early in the season some of our officials are very green and the games they ref are preseason games. The last thing I will do is allow their rookie status to dictate how well they're treated during the game. But of course teach a man to fish (or to call his own t's) and he'll have dinner for life.

Last edited by UNH IM Ref; Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 10:47pm.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

***to clarify, it was an intramural game that I called the T's from the bench, not a middle school game. I do very little reffing at unh intramurals and so when I say I use less T's I'm talking about MS and not intramurals.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I used to work 100-120 games per year and maybe had 5 per year.

1 this season. 1 last season.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I don't think the officiating.com server is big enough to handle the number I would post. Maybe I should start a new post: "How many T's do you call per quarter?"
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNH IM Ref View Post
During a single night of intramurals at UNH we play about 18 games and average between 1.5 & 2 T's per night
Please - tell me how you call 1.5 technicals on someone. Sounds cool.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Please - tell me how you call 1.5 technicals on someone. Sounds cool.
You have to call one on the coach's better half.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

How many TF's do I call each year? NOT ENOUGH!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think I have given 4 this year. Only one of the Ts was on a head coach and another (tonight) for dunking and hanging on the rim. The rest were on players for their conduct. That is about the most I have given in some time for conduct. I usually am able to talk people out of stupidity or get them to drop dumb conversations. I think the player Ts were to young coaches that do not know how to control their players. These were totally preventable. Then again you do what you have to do.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I cut back to about 80 games total this year, and I think I have given 1 to a head coach, 1 to an assistant coach, 2 to players for conduct, and had 1 scorebook violation.
I know that doesn't sound like many, but honestly after 15 years, I think coaches know what I take and what I don't.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 12:12am
Huck Finn

I don't know how many I called this season, but I can tell I called more than most on this forum. I will not go into length (yet) about why I call more, but this is a sad situation I've been in.

I agree with MTD; I don't call enough and I don't think all officials call enough. This is a game of speed and skill. Too much other garbage comes into play and talking about it doesn't really work. It is really simple: we are more likely to not do something we are going to get penalized for than if we were only going to get "counseled" for it.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury

2 players, 1 coach.