The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
what does this mean? i'm in my 3rd year, new to the forum...i don't want to become "that guy."

/thanks
Welcome to the forum. That particular comment was directed towards the guy who, as R, draws the captains meeting out into some sort of a rules clinic. The kids are barely paying attention anyway, just enough to be able to hear you say they're done.

My meetings are short.
1. 10 seconds for the players to introduce themselves. Half the time, they already know each other.
2. 5-10 seconds on sportsmanship
3. 3 seconds on jewelry
4. 2 seconds to ask my partner(s) if there's anything to add.
5. 1 second for them to say no.

That gives me a 4 second cushion to be gone in thirty seconds.

Some guys will also ask for speaking captains, another 10 seconds at most.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Welcome to the forum. That particular comment was directed towards the guy who, as R, draws the captains meeting out into some sort of a rules clinic. The kids are barely paying attention anyway, just enough to be able to hear you say they're done.

My meetings are short.
1. 10 seconds for the players to introduce themselves. Half the time, they already know each other.
3. 3 seconds on jewelry

many thanks...
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
what does this mean? i'm in my 3rd year, new to the forum...i don't want to become "that guy."

/thanks
If you're referring to Snaqwell's signature, then "that guy" refers to the official who spends the captains meeting telling the captains useless information that he/she is either not listening to or will forget by the time he/she gets back to their team.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 01:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If you're referring to Snaqwell's signature, then "that guy" refers to the official who spends the captains meeting telling the captains useless information that he/she is either not listening to or will forget by the time he/she gets back to their team.
There are times when some of that info is good to mention.

At some club tournaments that I work, the players often play at one gym, only to play at another gym for the semi-finals and/or finals.

Gyms they're moving to have possibly confusing markings, such as two types of rectangular keys, two three-point lines, etc. One gym even has a very thick OB line around the court, but in actuality, the OB line is just inside that thick black "line", being a 2" wide white line. The rest of the court marking are in the white as well.

So if I believe that the players are experiencing "this gym" for the first time, I do mention it to the captains. I also mention it to the coaches as well.

It's an ounce of prevention instead of a pound of complaining when I whistle an unexpected OB (or other) call.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

My meetings are short.
3. 3 seconds on jewelry

...that's mine...except I introduce my partner(s) and myself when R...and minus #3.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
It's interesting to read/see the different tolerances of different officials...weather reading scenarios here or actually watching officials in real live games.

Since we are presently talking about handing out Ts (or not)...here is a scenario to consider:

Your partner calls a shooting foul. While s/he is going to report the foul...you go to Lead to administer the FT. A player is holding the ball, but as you approach...the player either places the ball on the floor or simply rolls it away.

What do you do?

If you want some rule guidance (or not)...10-3-5b

Well, since nobody...yet...wants to answer my question...I will.

If a player sets the ball down or rolls it away...I give them a chance to go get it. I don't think I have ever had a player not do what I instructed them to do.

I did, however, have to whack a player the other night.

My partner had called a shooting foul on a player. As I was approaching L to administer the FT...said player looked at me and rolled the ball away. I smiply said, "go get it"...I then turned to the players, on the line, and advised them "to give the ball to the official". As I turned around the player underhand threw the ball to me with...let us say, with some considerable force.
I guess I was feeling extra nice this night...because I was only going to let this H.S. kid off with a warning on how to give the ball to an official. As I started to inform the boy...he interupted and said, "I didn't do nothin'". Again, I was being extra nice (for me)...and started to speak, he said "I didn't do nothin'". I calmly dropped the ball...picked up my whistle...and WHACK! As I approached the table the Coach looked at me and said, "I have a player replacing him."

The coach didn't put the "whacked" player in the rest of the 1st half.

At halftime...the AD let us in the lockeroom...and I said to him, smiling, "hey, I'm not really being grouchy tonight." He said, "this kid is like that all the time in school, he back talks the teachers ALOT, he has an attitude problem."

The coach did not put this player in the rest of the game. His team did win the game...but, it was with no help from this player.

After the game...the coach was walking through our "dressing room" and I just said, "Hey Coach, you didn't really have to keep that kid out the whole game, unless you just wanted to." He said, "Yeah, but that kid needs some discipline...I knew you were going to get him and I had a player going to the table when he threw that ball to you." He thanked me and away we went.

I later heard that this kid is the starting QB and is mouthy in football as well.

Hopefully, this will turn out to be a positive learning experience for him...we can only hope.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Last season (I think), right after a TO call in a JVB game, A1 decides to take a three point shot rather than give the ball to my partner, who was asking for the ball. He launches the shot, then heads for his bench. My partner gave him two chances to get the ball, which he ignored.

T
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
There are times when some of that info is good to mention.

At some club tournaments that I work, the players often play at one gym, only to play at another gym for the semi-finals and/or finals.

Gyms they're moving to have possibly confusing markings, such as two types of rectangular keys, two three-point lines, etc. One gym even has a very thick OB line around the court, but in actuality, the OB line is just inside that thick black "line", being a 2" wide white line. The rest of the court marking are in the white as well.

So if I believe that the players are experiencing "this gym" for the first time, I do mention it to the captains. I also mention it to the coaches as well.

It's an ounce of prevention instead of a pound of complaining when I whistle an unexpected OB (or other) call.
This falls under the, "know your animal" category.

At this point in the HS/NCAA season my captains & coaches meeting is the same.
Me: "Questions, comments, concerns?"
Captains/coaches: No
Me: "Ok best wishes!"
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
It's interesting to read/see the different tolerances of different officials...weather reading scenarios here or actually watching officials in real live games.

Since we are presently talking about handing out Ts (or not)...here is a scenario to consider:

Your partner calls a shooting foul. While s/he is going to report the foul...you go to Lead to administer the FT. A player is holding the ball, but as you approach...the player either places the ball on the floor or simply rolls it away.

What do you do?

If you want some rule guidance (or not)...10-3-5b
Many seasons ago I handed out a T for this very thing. Called a travel on A1, the 'star' point guard. She rolled her eyes and turned to head up the court, me standing 5 feet away hands out for the ball. She tossed it across the gym. Whack. Coach asked why and when told nodded her head. At the same time, had one this year looking right at me and dropped the ball to the floor. Told him to get it, he did, no T.

As to the general discussion: I am not T happy. This year, one to a player, one to a HC both for unsporting behavior. In my area we are CONSTANTLY told by the state, our assignor, and our area supervisor that we don't penalize unsporting behavior nearly enough. I bet I hand out TEN for every ONE that is given by a partner. In the last five years, I have seen ONE that I didn't give out myself. I don't see how people get by without dealing with behavior problems. Lack of nuts is how I view the problem. I don't see what the big deal is. Someone acts like a clown, I penalize the behavior, we move on. I won't come across the floor to give one when my partner is standing right there, but sometimes it's hard! I see situations where I swear the coach is trying to get a T to fire their team up or whatever it is howler monkeys do. Nothing happens. Official lets coach stand ten feet out onto the court yell, scream, stomp, nothing happens. Crazy.

Last edited by biggravy; Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 10:28pm.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

"Come on Call the foul".

I would have obliged him just as you did. Good call.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

This year after the end of the first quarter (about a second or two) horn a player launches a full court shot and then proceeds to his bench which is on the side of the gym where he launched his shot from. I walked past him and told him either he gets the ball or I get his coach to go get it. Had the ball in my hands before I could finish my next step.