The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

First "T" for this year

I was hoping to not have any.

I have partners that have NEVER called a "T" and I have partners that RARELY called a "T".

2 years ago, I called 20. I was told that was too many. I thought they were all good. But I have become more patient and last year I called 7.

This is my first this year after about 50 games.

Here's what happen- Player drives to the basket and deliberately avoids contact and adjusts his shot, he misses, then he yells at me "Come on Call the foul".

So, I did. A "T" for unsportsmanlike conduct. This happened in the 3rd Q about 1/2 way through the Quarter.

Good "T"? Or am I still too thinned skinned?

Of course his team was losing, but in the end, it was a 1 point game.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

If its a true yell, sure why not?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 09:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Easy T, IMO.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I just thought it was disrespectful. And he did yell, fans in the lower seats could hear him.

We had about 250 to 300 people there.

BTW
Quote:
"Who are my speaking captains? Okay, we're watching for the hand checking tonight, guys, so keep your hands off. We'll try to talk you out of stuff, so if you hear us say to get out of the lane, do it. We'll be playing the black line all the way around; except on the endlines where it's orange. Any questions?" - That Guy
I work with more of these guys than you can shake a stick at.....true.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 10:08pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Here's what happen- Player drives to the basket and deliberately avoids contact and adjusts his shot, he misses, then he yells at me "Come on Call the foul".....Good "T"?
The player gave you an order. 'Nuff said.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 10:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I work with more of these guys than you can shake a stick at.....true.
I've had a few like that, too.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

I had one very similar to this today. White 42 fouls Red 20 on a shot, I'm the T and I call it. It's W42's fifth foul. Before I get turned around to report, he yells "Call the over the back" and throws his hands up at me. Whack.

I should have gotten a kid in our first game as well for throwing his hands up and yelling "Come on!" after I called him for a foul. A warning and speaking to a captain for his team took care of it thankfully.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 08:15am
In Memoriam

If the player yells at you, it's an obvious "T". If he just says it to you though without putting on a show, I'll give him a response such as "There was no foul on that play".

It doesn't bother me personally if they mutter a little as long as they don't say the wrong thing while doing so or make me look bad.

JMHO
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

FWIW, don't worry about the number of technicals as much of the quality or necessity of each. You have partners who have never called a T. How can an official work a number of years and never have a situation that deserves a T?

I always worry about officials who brag because they never call a T. If I'm their partner, chances I'll be the one to take care business because they won't. Conversely, I also worry about officials who seem to revel in calling technicals.

Treat technicals like any other foul or violations. Don't come off the floor after a game worrying about the number of travels you called, just hope that you got the ones that were needed.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Would Jesus Do ???

First T's of the year for me yesterday. Prep school varsity game.

A1 gets fouled in the act, not a hard foul, ball doesn't go in, by B1. My partner heads to the table to report. I head to new lead to administer free throws. A1 sees me coming, and while turning his back to me, and to B1, tosses the ball over his shoulder to me, and the ball hits B1 squarely in the face. B1 becomes quite agitated, so I speak to him, and his teammates, trying to calm them down (I really do understand why they're upset), which I successfully accomplish. This happens a few feet from the fans, who start yelling at me that I'm talking to the wrong (and wronged) player, which further incites the players. One particular fan actually got out of his seat and came a few feet onto the court to complain.

No site director available, so I go over to the Team B home head coach and ask that this fan be ejected. His assistant coach stands and tells me that I can't do that. I tell the head coach to control his bench. Assistant coach continues to complain. First technical foul of the year. Fan is ejected.

My partner and I get the two head coaches, and all the captains, together to discuss the situation, with the emphasis being that this was a good game up until that point, the ball tossed into the face was totally accidental, and that the rest of the game was salvageable with the cooperation of all involved. They all agree and we head back to the court.

On the way back to the court I come within six feet of one of Team B captains yelling, "F*** you", to one of the substitutes on the Team B bench. I wish I had heard what was said previous to that, but I didn't, so, second technical foul of the year.

Team A, visiting team, shoots the two free throws for in the act, shoots two for the technical on the assistant coach, shoots two for the technical foul on the captain, and a Team B fan has been ejected. On the way home I report to my assignment commissioner and we decide that much of this could have been avoided if a site director had been available.

Here's the kicker. The home team is a Christan school, they all prayed together before the game, and from their website, "Every activity, from athletics to art, from theater to peer tutoring, from science labs to the dining hall, from music to mission trips, serves to reinforce the message that your child has been uniquely designed by God and has a unique call on his/her life. The school is proud to play a part in developing young students’ lifelong dedication to excellence, integrity and truth."

I guess that the assistant coaches aren't required to adhere to good Christan values? I guess that the parent/fans send their kids there so that their kids won't grow up to be like them? Not sure that's it's working.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

In the heat of battle, slips happen...often repeatedly. Just come watch my church softball league.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was hoping to not have any.

I have partners that have NEVER called a "T" and I have partners that RARELY called a "T".

2 years ago, I called 20. I was told that was too many. I thought they were all good. But I have become more patient and last year I called 7.
I dont understand how someone has never called (and i have met a small handful of these guys) or rarely called a T. I dont think 20 is to much as it depends on what happened in your games. This year I think im around 15. 1 has been a direct to the coach 2 has been indirect plus ive had 1 administrative. About 5 have been for dead ball contact and the rest have been for players just acting the fool (slamming the ball, pulling out jersey's after a call, and just acting way out of line).

I think the more games you do you SHOULD eventually have a T as its a game of numbers and a T is just another call such as a block/charge. Its one that is earned and there is nothing to be proud of having the most or never having any at all.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Irish Temper ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
In the heat of battle, slips happen...often repeatedly. Just come watch my church softball league.
Our pastor used to come to our games. Guess who yelled at the umpire the most?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I dont understand how someone has never called (and i have met a small handful of these guys) or rarely called a T. I dont think 20 is to much as it depends on what happened in your games. This year I think im around 15. 1 has been a direct to the coach 2 has been indirect plus ive had 1 administrative. About 5 have been for dead ball contact and the rest have been for players just acting the fool (slamming the ball, pulling out jersey's after a call, and just acting way out of line).

I think the more games you do you SHOULD eventually have a T as its a game of numbers and a T is just another call such as a block/charge. Its one that is earned and there is nothing to be proud of having the most or never having any at all.
I have a guy I worked with, he reffed for near 40 years. Did more than 100 games a year each year and NEVER called a "T".

I am with you guys, it's part of the game. Oh, I had one who saw a PRE game dunk in warm ups and I said, " You "T"ing him up for that?" He said, "No, I am just going to tell him not to do it again".....
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 01:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And No, I'm Not Apologizing To Bill Clinton ...

Quote:
Saw a pregame dunk in warm ups and I said, " You "T"ing him up for that?" He said, "No, I am just going to tell him not to do it again".
It depends on what the meaning of the word dunk is.