The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:35am
Back from the DL

No T for score/timekeepers?

Someone on another message board (fans' site) is stating that it's a technical foul for a timekeeper or official scorekeeper to cheer during the game.

Before I make the correction, I'm here to verify. I don't see such a rule. I believe the only consequence for a cheering table official is removal, and typically after a talking-to. Correct?

Last edited by bainsey; Thu Jan 20, 2011 at 11:42am.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Its common practice around here to warn then remove & replace.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Your first clue that they were wrong should be "fan site".
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

It is not a T;however, here they are considered part of the officiating "team" and should not voice opinions about calls, etc. - pro or con. They can be replaced if it is deemed that their behavior is inappropriate. I have never replaced any table personnel but I have had to warn them.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

It shouldn't be a technical foul. That doesn't mean, however, that one hasn't been called by someone somewhere.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oh, I've Wanted To, Many Times ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Someone on another message board is stating that it's a technical foul for a timekeeper or official scorekeeper to cheer during the game.
Can I charge a technical foul on my partner for doing a terrible job? Better yet, how about ejecting him?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Can I charge a technical foul on my partner for doing a terrible job? Better yet, how about ejecting him?
BillyMac your signature is a scripture verse. How can you want to throw your partner under the bus like that... and remember you can do all things threw christ who strengthens me lol.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

I wish the officials would have replaced the host scorekeeper in my boys quarterfinal game last year.Here it is a requirement for postseason that adults run the table but this school employed a student scorekeeper that for the next 1.5 gave me a splitting headache due to her running commentary.Here too the procedure is warn then replace.If your state had such a rule banning student scorekeepers from postseason action would you tell the host school they had to find someone else or let the kid work? I have never posted anything bad about my adult colleagues but I seriously had a headache because of this kid and my floor officials never said a word to her.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, if they appear concussed!!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Did you have a copy of that requirement with you? How many officials know of the requirement?

With it being required by the state that the table crew be above the age if 18 & out of HS, you should of mentioned it before the game started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I wish the officials would have replaced the host scorekeeper in my boys quarterfinal game last year.Here it is a requirement for postseason that adults run the table but this school employed a student scorekeeper that for the next 1.5 gave me a splitting headache due to her running commentary.Here too the procedure is warn then replace.If your state had such a rule banning student scorekeepers from postseason action would you tell the host school they had to find someone else or let the kid work? I have never posted anything bad about my adult colleagues but I seriously had a headache because of this kid and my floor officials never said a word to her.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Eagle,
No I did not have a copy of the section of our 40/50 page playoff operations manual which states this.The host school's AD is a grizzled veteran and knows the rules.The officials I imagine know this rule if they earn a playoff game.It kind of ticked me off though because if she was like this with a team of out of area refs, how did she act towards the refs in her area?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 07:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Rulz Rule" (Esteemed Member)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Well, if they appear concussed!!
By rule, that's up to the health care professional.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Eagle,
The officials I imagine know this rule if they earn a playoff game.
I wouldn't assume that. I have no idea if there are any specific score-keeper or timer requirements for hosting a playoff game in this state.

Generally, there's a process for reporting these types of items. Find out what it is and use it of appropriate.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By rule, that's up to the health care professional.
We can have them removed, but the HCP is responsible for them to re enter. I would recommend slipping them "a little extra" to keep your partner on the sidelines!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 07:20pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Earlier this season, our school was on the road and for the first two games out of four, the home scorer is coaching from the table the entire game. Later on, there was a discrepancy with the AP arrow and I mentioned to the official that perhaps the arrow issue wouldn't exist if the home scorer wasn't coaching from the table. The response? The official put his fingers to his lips and said this behavior should be expected at this (5/6, 7/8 grade) level.

If it happens when the same team plays at our home court in a couple of weeks, it will be addressed. (I'm hoping not, though).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball