The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Does this run score?

Hey all,

I'm a basketball official and was watching my nephew's baseball game the other day. I have a situation that I would like clarification on:

Runners on 1st and 3rd, one out. Batter hits a fly ball to right field which is caught. RF throws the ball back to first and get the runner at first. Before he is out, however, the runner on 3rd tagged up and scored. Does that run count? Umps said yes....
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monfanz
Hey all,

I'm a basketball official and was watching my nephew's baseball game the other day. I have a situation that I would like clarification on:

Runners on 1st and 3rd, one out. Batter hits a fly ball to right field which is caught. RF throws the ball back to first and get the runner at first. Before he is out, however, the runner on 3rd tagged up and scored. Does that run count? Umps said yes....
The umps were correct. This is a "timing play", not a force out. In this situation, if the runner touches home BEFORE the third out is made, the run COUNTS.

It's different if the third out is made on the batter-runner before reaching 1B, or is a force out (runner on 1B forced out at 2B), the run does not score.

Bob
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey all,

The umps were correct.

The appeal at first is NOT a force out.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey all,

First, the umpires were correct, the run scores.

You'll often hear two different terms when an explanation is given: Time or Timing Play and Appeal Play.

The out at first was an appeal play. The fielders were, in effect, appealing that runner left early. Since he had not completed his return when they affected the appeal, he is out. This is not conisdered a force out.

The relationship between when R3 touches home and the successful appeal at first is what we call a time or timing play. If the run scores first, it counts. If the out occurs first, the run does not count.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

just to add fuel to the fire...

what happens if R3 left early?
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by canablue05

If the defense properly appeals R3 leaving early his run will not count.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canablue05

What fire? (And I wouldn't call this softball "Fuel"). Even the most rudimentary umpire (and probably most fans with no training at all) will get this one right.