The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

travel to end uconn villanova

I saw replays on espn of the last shot by uconn's guard. I saw him gather the ball jump off the right foot come down on the right foot followed instantly by the left foot and alight again. Was that a travel or is that considered simultaneously landing?

Thanks, Ron
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
I saw replays on espn of the last shot by uconn's guard. I saw him gather the ball jump off the right foot come down on the right foot followed instantly by the left foot and alight again. Was that a travel or is that considered simultaneously landing?

Thanks, Ron
I haven't seen the play, so I can only give a generic comment; but sometimes on this play, close enough is good enough. What I mean is, if you have to watch the replay to know for sure the feet didn't come down simultaneously, it's probably not going to get called.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post

Thanks, Ron
He traveled because the defender pushed him with two hands...should have been a foul that caused the travel.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

i would not call a travel there...an official would be "splitting hairs" if a travel was called there....close enough to a jump stop for me there...(feet "alighted nearly simultaneously").
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
He traveled because the defender pushed him with two hands...should have been a foul that caused the travel.
+1 - I know it's the Big East, but come on.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

I think we have to have a poll on this re: whether it was a travel or a foul. That's the only way to be absolutely certain.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Travel? How about the carry?!?!

Offensive player carried the ball and covered a lot of ground before he gathered it to score the winning bucket. No wonder the defender put two hands on him, he dusted him with palming the ball!

Why even have points of emphasis if they are not going to be followed!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

The 2nd view shows the play the best. I have the player gathering and ending his dribble with his left foot on the floor. Then a step with the right and then left. By rule it would be a travel under NFHS and NCAA rules. This is a legal play under NBA rules.

After looking at the video again, I agree there should of been a foul called here and it was clearly before the travel.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Jan 18, 2011 at 03:15pm.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMrRef View Post
Offensive player carried the ball and covered a lot of ground before he gathered it to score the winning bucket. No wonder the defender put two hands on him, he dusted him with palming the ball!

How much ground should not be a consideration when determining travel or not. These players are bigger and longer than ever before and thus able to cover a lot of ground. Rather, just pick up the pivot foot and go from there.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

What video are you watching? The travel happened after the push. By rule, you've got a foul, and he looks to me to be trying to gather the ball (judgment call) for a shot. The travel after the foul makes the ball dead, so two shots for the shooter.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

When did the ball come to rest with the palm facing upward???
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's probably a foul.

Yes, it's traveling.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

The palm is in the mid court when he goes from the bottom of the center court logo to the top of the key while carrying the ball. It is more than a hesitation dribble and other replays last night showed it more vividly. This is before he engages with the defender, who stands up in reaction to the ball coming to rest.

The 15 second video that is within this thread picks up the offensive player after his dribble at the top of the key.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Takin the bus

Looks like 4 steps to me; two small ones as he gathers, two (not simultaneous) and the shot. Also I'll agree with others there could be a push in there as he splits the defenders. Neither of these are perceptible without benefit of slow motion instant replay, so know what? Great call!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Looks like 4 steps to me; two small ones as he gathers, two (not simultaneous) and the shot. Also I'll agree with others there could be a push in there as he splits the defenders. Neither of these are perceptible without benefit of slow motion instant replay, so know what? Great call!
I don't see how you have four steps. Not that it matters in how we officiate this play.