The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Pre-jump/start of 2nd half

While watching the replay of Findlay Prep vs. Lincoln on ESPNU right now, I got to thinking about table operations at the start of the game/start of 2nd half.

Before the jump ball, I have noticed it's common procedure for the official administering the jump to look at the table and ask with hand signals ready.

What type of acknowledgment to do you want from the table to signal ready?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Pre-jump to start the game I am having the U1 in a 2 or 3 person game ask the table if they are ready. So when the R ask the U1 if he/she is ready that would include the table. The start of the second half I am just looking for a nod that the timer and scorer are ready to go.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

As GoodwillRef said, as the R I am depending on my U1 to ensure the table is ready before the jump ball. When his/her hand goes up, I assume that means we are ready to play ball. At the beginning of the other quarters/half I simply look to the table and get an acknowledement that they are ready for action. If I don't get a nod I may point at the table and then they will give me the nod.

I also ensure I have eye contact with my U1 (and U2 in a 3 whistle game) to ensure they are ready

Robby

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Tue Jan 18, 2011 at 09:04am.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 09:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

As the U1 (or U in a 2-person game), I'm ensuring that the scorer, timer and both head coaches are ready to go. The coaches are unnecessary, but a nice touch (I think). Once I got a "ready" from those four, I give the R a point and raise my arm for the chop.

Last week we had a jump go out of bounds and we needed to rejump as it was simply impossible to see who tapped it out. The clock still said 8:00. I had to have a brief chat with the timer.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
While watching the replay of Findlay Prep vs. Lincoln on ESPNU right now, I got to thinking about table operations at the start of the game/start of 2nd half.

Before the jump ball, I have noticed it's common procedure for the official administering the jump to look at the table and ask with hand signals ready.

What type of acknowledgment to do you want from the table to signal ready?
It doesn't effin matter.

Sigh.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 10:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It doesn't effin matter.

Sigh.
Personally, I thought it was a reasonable question, but probably the only one of the last 10 he's asked, so I "get" your frustration.

It's probably overrated to ask everyone, though, as the whistle makes it pretty clear the ball's about to go up.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

My U1 being ready to go means the table is good to go as well. If I'm U1 a simple, "Are we good to go?" is all I ask. A simple yes or no is all the acknowledgement needed.

At the beginning of a half/quarter I just look up to make sure the correct amount of time is on the clock. A simple glance at the table to see if everyone ready is all that's needed. The whistle before the throw-in will get everyone's attention.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
My U1 being ready to go means the table is good to go as well. If I'm U1 a simple, "Are we good to go?" is all I ask. A simple yes or no is all the acknowledgement needed.

At the beginning of a half/quarter I just look up to make sure the correct amount of time is on the clock. A simple glance at the table to see if everyone ready is all that's needed. The whistle before the throw-in will get everyone's attention.
Agreed and agreed.

8 minutes on the clock, everybody seated, Tweet!, and hand the thrower the ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It doesn't effin matter.

Sigh.
Damn...Bob...get off the guy's back. He's simply asking a question that "MATTERS" to him.

You're acting like me when I get frustrated with Coaches...and that is unprofessional.

BTW...eagleman...I like to point to the table and get some kind of response before I toss it or bounce it at the start of the 3rd quarter.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Tue Jan 18, 2011 at 06:55pm.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Damn...Bob...get off the guys back. He's simply asking a question that "MATTERS" to him.

You're acting like me when I get frustrated with Coaches...and that is unprofessional.
While this was a reasonable question in my opinion, it is hard when chs makes pointless threads about pea vs. pealess whistles or whether he should be pointing out uniform violations, etc.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

I have the timer hold up his taser so I know the table crew is ready.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yeah, We're Ready ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
I have the timer hold up his laser so I know the table crew is ready.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
While this was a reasonable question in my opinion, it is hard when chs makes pointless threads about pea vs. pealess whistles or whether he should be pointing out uniform violations, etc.
I was just curious about the whistles cause of coming upon the Fox 40 website & knowing that there's still whistles being sold that have the pea inside them.

Concerning the uniform violations, I just ask questions about something I see is all. (Considering I'm seeing undershirts not the color of the torso of the jersey being worn in Sub-V games or logos/text seen on the undershirt through the neck opening)

What brought up this thread was from watching the Findlay Prep vs. Lincoln Replay on ESPNU & thinking back to previous games this year.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 08:25pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Pre-jump to start the game I am having the U1 in a 2 or 3 person game ask the table if they are ready. So when the R ask the U1 if he/she is ready that would include the table. The start of the second half I am just looking for a nod that the timer and scorer are ready to go.
Same here.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Damn...Bob...get off the guy's back. He's simply asking a question that "MATTERS" to him.
I stand by my response. It doesn't effin matter what type of acknowledgement the table gives -- thumbs up, a nod, a point, saying "yes" or "ready when you are", ...