The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

It was a throw-in violation after the first Baylor basket. Referee chose to have Morriss ( I don't remember which one ) re-administer the throw-in, instead of calling the violation. It happened again, the second time was around the 8 minute mark in the game, right after Baylor made a 3-pointer. It was not Morriss on the second occurrence (I am pretty sure). The referee also consulted the replay after the second occurence. It was very loud when the official whistled for the Jayhawks to try again on the in-bounding event. I think the clock was not stopped properly.

Interesting, but pointless fact.
The Jayhwaks had a throw-in violation 2 years ago when the Jayhawks last came to Waco in which the officials handled it the same way.

It was a pretty good game if you are a Jayhawk fan. 20 point lead at the half. Baylor got a little steam going in the 2nd half and closed the Jayhwak lead to 13 points, but couldn't maintain their momentum.

Funny occurrence when I picked up our tickets at will call. I had told Mrs. SamIAm that our tickets were not together, 3 in one section and the fourth in the next section over, but we would make the most of it. I tell her where are seats are at, one in row 24, another in row 25 and another in row 26 and she says, "The three in the one section are not together?". SamIAm says, "Honey, I told you our seats are not toghether.". We exchanged looks and went to our seats. Everything worked out as a few no shows left us setting together in two rows.

This concludes my bi-yearly report of the Kansas at Baylor baskteball game for 2011. Please look forward to my next report in 2013 (and I will be watching for the repeating throw-in violation).

SamIAm

Last edited by SamIAm; Tue Jan 18, 2011 at 02:14pm.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
big lead late, i just didn't see it.
If the thrower passed the ball to a teammate standing on a boundary line, would you not see that? Or if the dribbler then went up court and stepped on a boundary line, would you not see that either?

Think about it, guys. Slippery slope imo. It's 10/15 seconds usually to just call it and administer another throw-in. If not calling the violation doesn't affect the game, calling it sureasheck won't either.

JMO.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
First minute of game, Baylor makes basket. Ref calls back throw-in for Kansas and lets them do it again.

Is that the proper protocol there, assuming he was whistling it because the Kansas player had a foot inbounds?
Violation. As Rooster Cogburn says in True Grit promo "can't help ya son"
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If the thrower passed the ball to a teammate standing on a boundary line, would you not see that? Or if the dribbler then went up court and stepped on a boundary line, would you not see that either?

Think about it, guys. Slippery slope imo. It's 10/15 seconds usually to just call it and administer another throw-in. If not calling the violation doesn't affect the game, calling it sureasheck won't either.

JMO.
I would call the OOB violations, and I agree with you that the call should be made in a perfect world. But I'm not in a position to argue the prevailing "game management" theory around here. Nor do I think it's really all that cancerous to the game.
I can tell you I've had evaluators tell me I could have let some late travels go against the losing team in blowouts. "Was it a travel? Yes. Could you have let it go?"