The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kansas/Baylor Throw-in Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60647-kansas-baylor-throw-question.html)

JohnDorian37 Mon Jan 17, 2011 09:58pm

Kansas/Baylor Throw-in Question

First minute of game, Baylor makes basket. Ref calls back throw-in for Kansas and lets them do it again.

Is that the proper protocol there, assuming he was whistling it because the Kansas player had a foot inbounds?

BktBallRef Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 (Post 717800)
First minute of game, Baylor makes basket. Ref calls back throw-in for Kansas and lets them do it again.

Is that the proper protocol there, assuming he was whistling it because the Kansas player had a foot inbounds?

Pretty difficult to answer such a question when you're assuming.

JohnDorian37 Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 717804)
Pretty difficult to answer such a question when you're assuming.

I was hoping someone else saw the play. Otherwise it's impossible for me to explain it, not knowing what the ref might have seen.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:10pm

Nope, sorry, didn't see it.

JohnDorian37 Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 717814)
Nope, sorry, didn't see it.

So what is the protocol if after a made basket by Team A, Team B throws in with one foot in bounds? Give the ball to A right away? Let B try to correct it but keep the 5-second count running? Do we tell B if they're running up the court?

Adam Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 (Post 717818)
So what is the protocol if after a made basket by Team A, Team B throws in with one foot in bounds? Give the ball to A right away? Let B try to correct it but keep the 5-second count running? Do we tell B if they're running up the court?

Immediate violation in NFHS. Not sure about NCAA.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 18, 2011 06:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 717824)
Immediate violation in NFHS. Not sure about NCAA.

Immediate violation under NCAA rules also.

GoodwillRef Tue Jan 18, 2011 06:57am

I also saw the play and was also a little confused...maybe the player wasn't out of bounds at all.

Adam Tue Jan 18, 2011 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 718035)
I also saw the play and was also a little confused...maybe the player wasn't out of bounds at all.

Still should have been called a violation. My guess is the official will get a nice chat with the supervisor over that one.

Welpe Tue Jan 18, 2011 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 718082)
Still should have been called a violation. My guess is the official will get a nice chat with the supervisor over that one.

"Game management" call. ;)

Adam Tue Jan 18, 2011 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 718084)
"Game management" call. ;)

Sadly, probably right.

rockchalk jhawk Tue Jan 18, 2011 09:18am

Having listened just yesterday to Curtis Shaw's conference call from December, "game management" calls in the NCAA are becoming less of a thing and may go away entirely eventually. He simply wants EVERYTHING called by the rules and threatens to take games away from officials that don't comply, even for uniform violations. Things are changing at the top, and will trickle down to all levels eventually, at least in the college level. Based on what we've seen over the years I think the philosophy will also trickle down to NFHS, but it will take a while. Overall though, I think it's a positive thing.

I saw the play last night too (Rock Chalk!) and where I was going with all of this is that I kind of doubt it was game management as was suggested earlier. I couldn't see if he was clearly OOB for the throw in or not, but I wonder if there was something going on out of frame like something on the court that they needed to stop the game momentarily to address. Just my $.02.

referee99 Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:31am

I had this call this weekend!

Great game. B-V, 3-person. Overtime game, under a minute, home team A1 nails a shot to go up 4 with 25 seconds left or so.

B2 with body language of disappointment and confusion picks up ball, and with foot partially on court, partially out-of-bounds passes the ball to teammate. I whistle violation.

Not a call I want to be making at the end of a great game, but I didn't see another option. The kid violated.

Adam Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55am

I have to admit I've let this call go; at the end of a 50 point blowout. Winning team, right behind me, started to say something when their coach shut them down. He knew why I passed. Would I pass on it now? Probably, because it's the expected route in this part of Rome.

referee99 Tue Jan 18, 2011 01:03pm

Agreed...

big lead late, i just didn't see it.