The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas vs. Baylor

The SamIAm's enjoyed a nice game in which the good guys won. My kids asked what a Jayhawk sounded like. I told them to keep listening and they
would hear it (the rock, chalk, jayhawk chant). My 8yr old watch the whole game, which was nice, except a few to many questions. But we worked it out. My 13 year old and her teammate/guest, who joined our us for the outing, watched most of the game (as opposed to being more socially inclined).

A couple of officiating points I wondered about:

At about the 8 minute mark of the 1st half, after a dunk by Baylor, the ball rolled out to the foul line. A KU player threw the ball to his teammate to inbound. The inbounder jumped in the air and batted the ball inbounds to his teammate. However the inbounder landed in-bounds before he batted the ball. The C and the T both blow their whistles, the C points to the table, the T seems to mention something about staying oob until he inbounds the ball. Easy to see from the 10th row of the upper section that there wasn't any reason to blow the whistle if the IB was done properly and if not done properly, it would be a violation. But, what do I know.

I saw an occurrence of giving the ball to B even though B committed the OOB violation instead of calling a foul on KU.

(Edited for typing issues)

Last edited by SamIAm; Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 02:59pm.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Many officials would rather stay with the possession rather than calling the foul. Baylor would have got the ball back had a foul been called instead of the ball going oob by Baylor, correct? Keep the ball where it belongs without calling the foul.

Working with a partner in a consolation game at a tournament. He worked quite a bit of college. He had a situation where I was T, ball was in my primary on the baseline. There was a foul and the ball went oob, double whistle. We came together before making any signal and together gave the ball back to the offensive team (even though off them) instead of calling the foul on the defense and giving the ball back to offense.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Many officials would rather stay with the possession rather than calling the foul. Baylor would have got the ball back had a foul been called instead of the ball going oob by Baylor, correct? Keep the ball where it belongs without calling the foul.

Working with a partner in a consolation game at a tournament. He worked quite a bit of college. He had a situation where I was T, ball was in my primary on the baseline. There was a foul and the ball went oob, double whistle. We came together before making any signal and together gave the ball back to the offensive team (even though off them) instead of calling the foul on the defense and giving the ball back to offense.
So you had a choice of a or b and went with c? Is it up for you to decide to set aside what happened and make something up? Either call the foul or award the throw-in to the defense.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is accepted practice in some areas at some levels. I'm not a fan, but I'm in Rome on this one.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rome, Italy, Apennine Mountain Time Zone ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm in Rome on this one.
I still can't find a Rome in the Mountain Time Zone ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I still can't find a Rome in the Mountain Time Zone ???
Keep looking, Billy.