The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I just really don't see the point in not finishing out the half. The was a varsity HS game. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go over real well at the state association office.
That's not something I concern myself with. With the coach being the coach and trainer, it's a reasonable solution as long as the ball is played POI and a quarter break is given after the quarter ends.

Why would the state office know, anyway? Do you think a coach will be on the phone the next morning complaining?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That's not something I concern myself with. With the coach being the coach and trainer, it's a reasonable solution as long as the ball is played POI and a quarter break is given after the quarter ends.
I guess I'm different, as our supervisor doesn't expect us to take things like this into our hands and come up with something that has no rule basis whatsoever. Sorry, I just don't see any reason to not finish the quarter. It's 37 seconds, the kid's not dying.

Quote:
Why would the state office know, anyway? Do you think a coach will be on the phone the next morning complaining?
Calls are made and videos are sent to the state all the time for all kinds of reasons. The opposing coach could tell you he's fine with it and still call to ***** about it. Or he could get pissed at you later in the game and call anyway.

I just don't put myself in situations like this, where my actions aren't supported by rule.

And I'm certainly not going to try to justify it with 2-3 when the rules are very clear on what needs to happen.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 03:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I guess I'm different, as our supervisor doesn't expect us to take things like this into our hands and come up with something that has no rule basis whatsoever. Sorry, I just don't see any reason to not finish the quarter. It's 37 seconds, the kid's not dying.

Calls are made and videos are sent to the state all the time for all kinds of reasons. The opposing coach could tell you he's fine with it and still call to ***** about it. Or he could get pissed at you later in the game and call anyway.

I just don't put myself in situations like this, where my actions aren't supported by rule.

And I'm certainly not going to try to justify it with 2-3 when the rules are very clear on what needs to happen.
I think it's well supported. The coach is also the athletic trainer and it's unknown how long the delay will be since the coach, himself, will have to attend to the players.

I feel I'm on solid ground if someone wants to call the state. They can go for it.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob, And RichMSN ...

Quote:
We'd take the halftime break there, come back and play the remaining :37 on the clock. Then I'd give them a minute and then start the second half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Take "half time" now. Then, play the remaining :37 seconds on the first half (start with POI and use the horn, and the last second shot, etc.). Then "immediately" start the second half with a throw-in to the team having the arrow.
Much better ideas than mine. I guess that I'm not very good at thinking on my feet. Now that I think about it, what if there were a foul in the first thirty seven seconds of the "second" half, and the fouled team would have been in the bonus in the first half?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 05:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slings And Arrows Of Outrageous Fortune ....

Quote:
With the coach being the coach and trainer.
I apologize. I should have made myself clearer. The coach was the only adult on the bench. No trainer. If I had asked for a substitute after twenty seconds there would have been no one to coach the team for the last thirty seven seconds of the first half because the coach was tending to the injured player, asking for ice, figuring out how to make a sling, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)