The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Warranted T?

Well, I pulled the trigger for the first time this season this week.

Coach was complaining about just about every call, but nothing too huge. I ignored all comments. Then he asked a question about a call and I answered. I told him what I saw and he didn't like the answer and kept going. Finally, I told him that I will answer questions...not statements.

Two more trips down the floor...he dislikes another call and starts to rant: "I know you're mad at me, but don't punish my kids. It's just not about you it's about the kids." At that...WHACK! Question my integrity...take a seat.

After that, no problems with the coach. The unfortunate thing is that the game went to OT (where they lost), which might not have happened without those tech FT'S. If the coach would've kept it together...

The thing that REALLY sucks is that I'll get a bad rating for that night. Coaches rank us here in MI. So...another one bites the dust.

So...warranted??? I don't call many T's, so I usually question them. I guess we all do. I don't question this as much, though. Felt solid. I just need to take my emotion out of the call. I'm really working on calling a T just like any other foul.

Last edited by bigdog5142; Sat Jan 15, 2011 at 06:14pm.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 06:12pm
I miss being on the floor

I think you're just fine here. When a coach accuses us of something like that, they've made their own bed.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did just fine. I don't mind a coach saying I missed a call, but anything questioning integrity deserves the T.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 06:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
Coach was complaining about just about every call, but nothing too huge. I ignored all comments.
There's the problem right there imo. If you let any coach get away with complaining on just about every call, it usually will lead to nuthin' but more headaches. All you've done is given the coach licence to b!tch at you.

Righteous "T" imo, but maybe you could have warned the coach a heckuva lot earlier about his complaining and then whacked him if he ignored your warning. That may have stopped the later problem.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

I had a conversation with a coach once, it went like this.

Me- "you coach, I ref"

Him "But......"

Me - " you coach, I ref"

Him " But you didn't...."

Last time Me- You COACH, I REF"

Him " " Silence, he finally got it.

No problems the rest of the night.

We get rated by the coaches also. I don't think that is fair.

3 years ago, I gave out 20 "T's" 2 years ago 7 Last year 6 and none so far this year. Almost one today, but I passed and it worked out fine ( my partner didn't pass and gave one ) Same game, different situation.

I have the worse coaches rating in my board for a varsity official ( 2.40 , 1.00 would be the perfect but our best is a 1.70) we have classes, I ( the best ) II ( Varsity eligible ) and III. I am a Class I but the coaches kill me.

We have about 50 officials, about 9 are class I's.

Last edited by Terrapins Fan; Sat Jan 15, 2011 at 09:00pm.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

Me- "you coach, I ref"

Him "But......"

Me - " you coach, I ref"

Well played.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 11:55pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
The unfortunate thing is that the game went to OT (where they lost), which might not have happened without those tech FT'S....
Or, if the losing team would have hit an extra shot.
Or, if the winning missed a shot that they hit.
Or, if a free throw was made/missed one way or the other.

Or, or, or....

Bottom line: A game's outcome is made up of 32 (or 36, 40 etc.) minutes, NEVER one play.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

From what I have been told by some top officials is that a technical foul is a tool that you may use to better the game.

There are times that coaches know that they deserve a T and if it is not given to them you may lose more by not giving them the T than you could by giving the T. Coaches should know when to expect a T.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

I had a coach once who kept complaining about every call. After a warning he said "T me up I dare you" - dare acceptrd - whack!!!

My daughter played for him one year and he got a T EVERY game!!!
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
My daughter played for him one year and he got a T EVERY game!!!
That's a sportsmanship issue that the league and the state ought to be dealing with.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 10:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
From what I have been told by some top officials is that a technical foul is a tool that you may use to better the game.

There are times that coaches know that they deserve a T and if it is not given to them you may lose more by not giving them the T than you could by giving the T. Coaches should know when to expect a T.
This is a rule of thumb, but keep in mind it's not always applicable.

Sometimes you just have to take care of unsporting behavior. There are times a good T won't make the game better, and there are times when the game will get better in spite of not giving a T that should have been given.

Just think of it as a normal call. Most of the time, it will make the game better; but don't think twice about your T just because the game continued to go into the tank.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

Me- "you coach, I ref"

Him "But......"

Me - " you coach, I ref"

We get rated by the coaches also. I don't think that is fair.

3 years ago, I gave out 20 "T's" 2 years ago 7 Last year 6 and none so far this year. Almost one today, but I passed and it worked out fine ( my partner didn't pass and gave one ) Same game, different situation.

I have the worse coaches rating in my board for a varsity official ( 2.40 , 1.00 would be the perfect but our best is a 1.70) we have classes, I ( the best ) II ( Varsity eligible ) and III. I am a Class I but the coaches kill me.

We have about 50 officials, about 9 are class I's.
This conversation tells me that you are unapproachable. That will stunt your progress at any level past JV Boys. Whether coaches get to directly rate or not, rest assured that coaches talk to each other and to your supervisor. You are fortunate to have that data point, so you can choose to do something about it and help yourself. You need to find a better balance between listening to coaches and managing them. Focus and listening and understanding what they are trying to communicate before you shut them down as a nuisance.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 06:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're reading way too much into a short conversation for which we have no context. There are times when it's appropriate to shut off the "approachable" switch.

You're also missing the final part of his post, where he indicates he's already moved way past JV boys.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Jan 16, 2011 at 06:46pm.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game earlier this year where a GV coach was whining about a non-call.Guy was administering free throws while his lady counterpart was standing table side with the coach who just had a foul called against his team.Coach yells to guy "Be a man and make a call"-Whack from the lady! First tech in a girls game all year!
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're reading way too much into a short conversation for which we have no context. There are times when it's appropriate to shut off the "approachable" switch.

You're also missing the final part of his post, where he indicates he's already moved way past JV boys.
He's saying the coaches do not rate him well. There is a reason for that. Officials that are "unapproachable" never prosper, and that label is easy to get and hard to shake, fair or not. The #1 reason officials have moved down the ladder or been dropped from my rosters over the past 15 years is coaches feedback that they are unapproachable, and that is universally true at every level until you are an established D-1 official. Sometimes, coaches need to be dealt with bluntly, given technicals, and even be ejected, but when that happens, it is how we do that which makes the difference. Being approachable and professional in all we do matters. Cutting off a coach like that is generally not a great idea. This is a people business.