The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFGUY06 View Post
But how is dribbling towards the basket, back turned, a foul? At what point does the offensive player then no longer have the right to make an attempt to the basket.

Are you then saying once a defender is covering a man, all attempts to move towards the hoop are a charge? If a guy like Shaq or Dwight Howard dribble with their butt first how is that different then Kobe going straight on?

Seems to me there is no standard nor is there set way.
Sure there is - go back and read your original post..from nba.com: "If he gets to a legal position and the offensive player runs into him it is an offensive foul." Doesn't get much clearer than that....it doesn't matter if the offensive player is going forwards, backwards, sideways or turning somersaults.

You asked a question and in response have been given good and accurate information by some very experienced officials - being argumentative, especially out of ignorance won't help your case. As the title indicates, this is an officiating forum - a place where officials and interested others get together to discuss and improve our knowledge and understanding of officiating the game of basketball. Anyone interested in learning more about the sport and how it is officiated is always welcome. But as Bob indicated, for "fan-boys" -those that simply want to espouse opinions and aren't interested in the facts - there are other discussion boards that are more suitable....

Being a curious fan can be a good thing, but being an informed and knowledgeable fan is much better. If you want to be the latter, I'd suggest you spend some time learning the fundamentals and rules of basketball.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic referee View Post
there is a standard and set way under high school, college and international rules. The nba? Not so much.

I've been involved with basketball officiating for over 50 years and i don't have a clue what a "foul' is in the nba.
+1
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Sure there is - go back and read your original post..from nba.com: "If he gets to a legal position and the offensive player runs into him it is an offensive foul." Doesn't get much clearer than that....it doesn't matter if the offensive player is going forwards, backwards, sideways or turning somersaults.

You asked a question and in response have been given good and accurate information by some very experienced officials - being argumentative, especially out of ignorance won't help your case. As the title indicates, this is an officiating forum - a place where officials and interested others get together to discuss and improve our knowledge and understanding of officiating the game of basketball. Anyone interested in learning more about the sport and how it is officiated is always welcome. But as Bob indicated, for "fan-boys" -those that simply want to espouse opinions and aren't interested in the facts - there are other discussion boards that are more suitable....

Being a curious fan can be a good thing, but being an informed and knowledgeable fan is much better. If you want to be the latter, I'd suggest you spend some time learning the fundamentals and rules of basketball.
Then as an official please tell me why Shaq, Dwight Howard, and Greg Oden at OSU were never called for charging in their careers? In the NBA, and in the NCAA this is seen all the time and is never called. So what is that reason then, is it not a foul, or special treatment?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then as an official please tell me why Shaq, Dwight Howard, and Greg Oden at OSU were never called for charging in their careers?
You must not watch much basketball.

Shaq is called for offensive fouls quite often. On Christmas Day, if fouled out while playing less than a full quarter. If the defender holds his ground, Shaq is routinely called for offensive fouls.

In the Magic's second playoff series last year, Dwight Howard stayed in so much foul trouble, he was irrelevant in the series. He incurs numerous technical fouls for complaining about these fouls.

Greg Oden can't stay healthy long enough to commit an offensive foul. He's the 21st century's version of Sam Bowie.

Quote:
In the NBA, and in the NCAA this is seen all the time and is never called. So what is that reason then, is it not a foul, or special treatment?
Actually, it's called quite often in the NCAA. In the NBA, it's called to a lesser extent because the assoication is about entetainment, not basketball.

BTW, using words like alsways and never is a very bad idea.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then as an official please tell me why Shaq, Dwight Howard, and Greg Oden at OSU were never called for charging in their careers? In the NBA, and in the NCAA this is seen all the time and is never called. So what is that reason then, is it not a foul, or special treatment?
That's just a silly statement. Those guys have been called for charging fouls. Also, bob answered your question correctly in the very first post of this thread.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 03:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Remember Title VIII ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Because "manhandling" isn't legal.
Not even in a girl's game?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a link to NBA Post Up's on YouTube. Sorry about the music, just mute it.

YouTube - Post Moves

Starting at 1:03 with Carmelo who uses his Butt to create space you will see there was no call. This is the stuff I'm talking about.

Also Boozer at 1:40 is the prime example of what I am referring too. That is the move Shaq and other big men have done their whole careers.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You been in the nog again?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Here is a link to NBA Post Up's on YouTube. Sorry about the music, just mute it.

YouTube - Post Moves

Starting at 1:03 with Carmelo who uses his Butt to create space you will see there was no call. This is the stuff I'm talking about.

Also Boozer at 1:40 is the prime example of what I am referring too. That is the move Shaq and other big men have done their whole careers.

CFGUY06:

If you are looking for answers as to who the rules are administered in the NBA you are asking the wrong group. While some of us stay on top of the NBA Rules, that does not mean we understand how they are applied on the court. NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA (sometimes) are our primary areas of expertise.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. How is the weather is Central Florida today?
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Billy:

You are a naughty naughty boy.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

YouTube - Post Moves

The play at 1:40, I have the defender "giving up ground" If a defender is going to do that, then I have nothing. The play at 1:03 is didn't see anything wrong with that. Shane is slighty off balance thus making the bump look worse than it is. The play I could see a foul called on is the play after the 1:03 with Carmelo.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

YouTube - Post Moves

Two separate issues:
1. What is the rule?
2. How do NBA officials enforce the rule?

You have been given the answer to #1. Nobody knows the answer to #2, so don't expect much of an answer there.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

YouTube - Post Moves

As we've already told you:

#1 - the defender doesn't hold his ground and gives way, he's not going to get the call in the NBA.

#2 - The NBA is entertainment, not basketball. They call it they want the league wants it called.

#3 - That does NOT mean offensive fouls are never called. You lose credibility when you post things like that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

YouTube - Post Moves

In both of those examples, the officials must have determined the defender gave up his ground. But you seem to have the impression that since a player is dribbling backwards he can push his defender into the bleachers without a foul call.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I disagree completely that it is seen and not called in the NCAA. You have no legitimate basis to make that statement.

The NBA? Don't watch it anymore and what you're moaning about is one of the reasons that I don't. That's just me though. It's certainly not representative of the thinking of any other or all amateur officials. Everybody has their own view.

The NBA is entertainment based. Colleges, high schools and international teams play basketball.