The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Worst luck ever (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60448-worst-luck-ever.html)

representing Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:40pm

Worst luck ever

Three games in a row on my schedule got cancelled/postponed.

Friday, Boys JV for $52. Cancelled. Home team lost some players due to injury, education suspension, etc.

Monday, Girls JV for $52. Cancelled. Visiting team lost some players due to injury, education suspension, etc.

Today, Girls Freshmen/JV Doubleheader for $92. Postponed. DAMN EXPECTED SNOWSTORM BETTER SHOW UP!

This is about $200 I missed out on in 5 days. I really do have the worst luck ever. And the worst part is the two JV games won't be made up because the Varsity games played on, and the FR/JV doubleheader was postponed to a day I'm already officiating.

Anyone else feel like we should still be compensated at least half of the referee fee for games cancelled due to reasons other than weather or other major problems like electricity went out, flooding in school because of a plumbing problem, etc.? This really pisses me off that I missed out on $200 in 5 days.

Dave9819 Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:59pm

So, if you cancel your doctor's appointment a day or so ahead of time because you feel better, should you be forced to pay the doctor half an appointment fee?

kyref10 Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:02pm

$52 for a JV game! I need to move!

representing Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave9819 (Post 714503)
So, if you cancel your doctor's appointment a day or so ahead of time because you feel better, should you be forced to pay the doctor half an appointment fee?

Doctor can get another patient in during that time. Don't you ever get a phone call from your doctor or hair-stylist that goes something like this: "Hey, we just had a cancellation, and we would like to move you up to this day at this time"?

You can't fill in a time a game is cancelled. And besides, doctors get paid a ****load of money, they can afford to lose a few cancellations here and there. I can't afford three cancellations in 5 days!

jTheUmp Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:08pm

Yes it's annoying when games get postponed/canceled after you've been assigned to them.

No, you shouldn't get a half game fee in those situations.

This stuff all evens out in the end... I'm sure you've picked up some additional games in the middle/later part of the season that you didn't have assigned initially. Where do you think those games came from?

representing Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyref10 (Post 714504)

I thought $52 was low! It's low compared to other leagues within 50 miles I think.

representing Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 714508)
Yes it's annoying when games get postponed/canceled after you've been assigned to them.

No, you shouldn't get a half game fee in those situations.

This stuff all evens out in the end... I'm sure you've picked up some additional games in the middle/later part of the season that you didn't have assigned initially. Where do you think those games came from?

I haven't picked up a single game this whole season since early December. We don't get a lot of snow that when we do, people start freaking out at 3 inches of snow like it is the end of the world. Where I was to officiate today, they're expecting around 5-7 inches of snow.

tref Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 714508)

Unless of course, you are open on the date the game is rescheduled & the site changes to the Pepsi Center :D

representing Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:20pm

Just to clarify, because I think some are getting confused.

I am not saying we should get compensated in ALL cancellation situations. Only when a school decides to cancel because of the students getting into trouble and put on suspension, players getting injured, etc. and the team just doesn't have enough players to play a game, then we should be compensated.

Weather, Property related cancellations, then no compensation because those would be postponed to another date. But cancellations are never made up and the school would gain that money.

I just emailed both of my assignors to ask them to keep me in mind for future games that become available and fit my schedule. Hopefully I'll get a game or two later.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 714511)
I haven't picked up a single game this whole season since early December.

Well, the ones you lost that are getting rescheduled are getting picked up by someone, just not you. Perhaps you should pay the school for not being able to do those on the new dates. Now they have to search for new officials for those dates.

Loudwhistle Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyref10 (Post 714504)

Man that's more than I get for Varsity! ($40)

bainsey Tue Jan 11, 2011 02:18pm

Bottom line, officials are independent contractors. We get paid when we we're needed. No need, no pay.

If you show up at a game, and it's postponed or cancelled, then they owe you something for your time. However, if the order gets cancelled, no-one owes you anything.

Rich Tue Jan 11, 2011 02:30pm

You know, there's a contract somewhere that spells out when you get paid or don't get paid. Either you hold that contract (like I do here in WI) or your assignor does.

The only times I ever get paid for a game not worked is during baseball season when the home team fails to cancel and we drive to the field and it's unplayable (or a storm hits before the game starts).

Scuba_ref Tue Jan 11, 2011 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 714494)
This really pisses me off that I missed out on $200 in 5 days.

Maybe if you didn't do it for the money you wouldn't get so upset...I'm just saying:confused:

BillyMac Tue Jan 11, 2011 02:37pm

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 714494)
DAMN EXPECTED SNOWSTORM BETTER SHOW UP!

I hate it when this happens (actually, when it doesn't happen).