The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Wish me luck!

Boys JV and V tonight. Never done both back to back. So many people either sick or without power in the area there's a real shortage of officials, so they asked me to do the JV, too. Don't think it will be too competitive in either game. I'm pretty rusty on three whistle crew. No 3 whistles so far this year! Hope I don't get brain freeze or walk all over the place looking stupid trying to find the right place on a rotation!
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Best of luck on the "double dip"! I seem to remember that it was during a Bo Schembechler tribute that I heard a quote that I think is very appropriate for officiating: "A successful game is one where only you know you messed up".

If only you know that you made a bad rotation (or didn't rotate at all); kicked a call; or used the wrong signal, then you've had a successful game!

Enjoy the game.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Boys JV and V tonight. Never done both back to back. So many people either sick or without power in the area there's a real shortage of officials, so they asked me to do the JV, too. Don't think it will be too competitive in either game. I'm pretty rusty on three whistle crew. No 3 whistles so far this year! Hope I don't get brain freeze or walk all over the place looking stupid trying to find the right place on a rotation!
Don't worry about missing a rotation. Worry about going out there with your fly unzipped. Come on, Bob! Just kidding, you'll do fine. Good luck!
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Boys JV and V tonight. Never done both back to back. So many people either sick or without power in the area there's a real shortage of officials,
Definitely don't want powerless officials. Glad you can get the job done! Have fun!
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It really is not that big of a deal. I have done this several times and you can use the first game as a tune up for the second game. It really makes the second game a lot easier and you really do not need the same kind of pre-game. You should do fine.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

When I called in northwest Florida the JV/V double-dip was the norm. In fact, the last year I was there (2003-04) several schools scheduled the girls V game between the boys JV and V games in an effort to drum up more interest and support for the girls. The same crew did all three games. Made for a very long night.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 08:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

I was thinking the same thing as JRutlege. If your 3-person mechanics are rusty, then you are actually kind of lucky to have the JV game first. You can iron out any problems early and then be that much more confident for the Varsity game. Good luck.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:02am
M.A.S.H.

So....

Bob,

How did it go?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for asking! Went very well. The JV game was wild... up and down the court all night, very fast, very physical, ended up a 2 point game that didn't get tied on the last shot, thank God. V game was streaky. Both teams looking for their first win after losses to bigger schools so coaches were really wanting the W. Oddly enough the coaches worked the Sr. member of our crew the hardest. One team would pull tight then lose momentum... happened over and over. Ended up a 10 point game with an intentional foul with 1 second left. 3 man mechanics came back the minute I hit the floor very naturally. I had a good teacher last 2 years. The guy has 34+ years in. He lost some speed after heart surgery, but can still give you a page number for a rule. Only problem I had last night was being tired. JV game was up and down at a fast pace all game long, so 1/2 way through the 4th Q of varsity I was hungry, sweaty, and ready to go. Great partners. Father/son team who both said I made great calls/no calls and hope we work together again. Just might happen. A regular for several school moved about 100 miles north of here and failed to mention it to any of the schools where he had contracts. Felt good to finally get some V action since moving.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Definitely don't want powerless officials. Glad you can get the job done! Have fun!

Seems to me, my dear Rainmaker, the stupid storm that came through here started not far from you! You might have to change your name to SNOW&ICEMAKER. Next time, you keep it!

Last edited by refnrev; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 07:28pm.