The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

referee shirt

I hope someone else ran into this problem and figured a solution.

One of my referee shirt, the primary one I wear, had lost its bright whiteness. I washed it with colors since I don't have many white articles of clothing, and because I needed it same day I was ref'ing, I put it in the dryer. When it came out, the white is now an off-white, but not quite gray. Has anyone come into this problem and/or know of a solution? I'm considering taking it to a dry cleaner to see if they could do anything, but would like to see if there is an easy at-home solution. I even tried just washing it again by itself and letting it air-dry, but that didn't work.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what to tell you about that shirt. But I wash mine in cold, and I always include a color catcher. I dry hanging up. Never had a problem.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I don't know what to tell you about that shirt. But I wash mine in cold, and I always include a color catcher. I dry hanging up. Never had a problem.
That's what I've always done, cold water and mix colors and whites. I've even used the dryer on this same referee shirt before many times (when I would need it same day for games) and never had a problem. I guess I'll take it to a dry cleaner later this week. I'll have to find one of my other shirts for the rest of this week. Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 12:36am
Do not give a damn!!

I always wash mine in cold water and wash them in things that do not bleed. Seems to work for me and never had a problem.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post

One of my referee shirt, the primary one I wear, had lost its bright whiteness. I washed it with colors since I don't have many white articles of clothing, and because I needed it same day I was ref'ing, I put it in the dryer. When it came out, the white is now an off-white, but not quite gray. Has anyone come into this problem and/or know of a solution? I'm considering taking it to a dry cleaner to see if they could do anything, but would like to see if there is an easy at-home solution. I even tried just washing it again by itself and letting it air-dry, but that didn't work.
Vinegar is the do-it-all in my house these days. Add some white vinegar to your next load and see if that helps. I've been using vinegar for my color and odor problems (works for Under Armour very well).
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

The problem is you did the laundry. I let my wife handle all my delicates. LOL
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

I use this stuff on all my underarmor or dri-fit type stuff...undershirts, compression shorts, referee shirts, etc....anything that is performance/wicking fabric.
Amazon.com: Atsko Sport Laundry Detergent 34 Oz: Sports & Outdoors
I used to use
Amazon.com: Penguin Brands Penguin Sport Wash: Sports & Outdoors
until I found out that it was the exact same stuff and the Atsko stuff was a lot cheaper.
From one Amazon comment: The Penguin Sport Wash is identical to the Atsko Sport Wash and is actually filled by Atsko. Penguin is just their brand that markets to runners. They also have a version that they market to hunters/outdoorsmen. Every version is IDENTICAL.

I wash my under layers with the referee stripes and any other similar type of performance clothing....golf shirts, my wife's exercise clothes, etc. They're all the same basic type of fabric...none of them bleed and they all benefit from special treatment. Sometimes, it makes only a small load...but that is fine. No need to ruin the clothing to save a nickel. It also helps to have 5-7 of everything so you don't have to do the laundry often.

They ALL go in the dryer together on medium heat and NO dryer sheet. (Dryer sheets actually ruin the wicking behavior of the fabric...but, supposedly, that can be reversed with a few washings with no dryer sheet).

My pants and socks just go in the regular wash with other darks...but not with towels since towels are lint generators.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 05:03am.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 05:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Huh? Me laundry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
the problem is you did the laundry.
+1
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

I have herd of stuff called "laundry bluing" it is a dye for getting yellow/gray out of your whites and turn them white again. It is only a few bucks and might be worth looking into.

Jasper

PS This is they same type of thing your dry cleaner would try first it you take it to them.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post

Did you recently buy new undershirts?
I had a similar problem last season. I bought some cheap undershirts & they bled onto my stripes once I began to sweat. Ruined 3 shirts before I figured out the cause of my new greys -errrr- grey stripes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 10:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offici88 View Post
Vinegar is the do-it-all in my house these days. Add some white vinegar to your next load and see if that helps. I've been using vinegar for my color and odor problems (works for Under Armour very well).
Vinegar is an excellent, cheap replacement for fabric softener. That blue stuff (I mean fabric softener like Downy) seems harmless enough, but it will ruin wicking material and it also will eventually clog the line out from the washer. We've used nothing but vinegar for the past few years after a washer repairman swore by it. We buy gallons of it at a time at Costco.

Cameron, I'll try the sport detergent, though, as I feel maybe the wicking material isn't wicking as well as I'd like. Do you foresee any problems using it for the entire uniform? I tend to wash my entire uniform (shirt, pants, undershirt, tights, socks) in one load and usually was no more than 2 uniforms at a time (I work at home and laundry is easy to do in the background).

Last edited by Rich; Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 12:18pm.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Cameron, I'll try the sport detergent, though, as I feel maybe the wicking material isn't wicking as well as I'd like. Do you foresee any problems using it for the entire uniform? I tend to wash my entire uniform (shirt, pants, undershirt, tights, socks) in one load and usually was no more than 2 uniforms at a time (I work at home and laundry is easy to do in the background).
Should work fine.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for all of the advices given. I'll look at all of them and start with the cheaper options first and work my way up until I can find a solution (if I do find one). I do appreciate all of the comments. Thanks again.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Laundry Service

Each week I invest in my laundry services by handing over a game fee to my wife. She gets some walking around money, I don't have to deal with laundry, Works well for me.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 12:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
The problem is you did the laundry. I let my wife handle all my delicates. LOL
I let your wife handle all my delicates, too.