The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:25pm
Back from the DL

Correcting your own call

I'm the T and U, two man system.

There's a loose ball in the lane and "scrum." I see a tie up, wait a second or two, and call the held ball. Arrow points to Team B (who is on defense).

The R comes to me to communicate that actually, two players from Team A were fighting for the ball. I told him, in that case, I have no problem changing my call to an inadvertant whistle. The R says I shouldn't, because I already signaled the held ball. He's the R, so I relent and stick with my call. Team B's ball.

We talked about it more at halftime, and he really didn't want me with egg on my face by changing my call. Honestly, I don't care. I feel the reason we communicate is so we get it right. Had I gone with an inadvertant whistle, the worst that could happen would be a brief explanation to Team B's coach that his team never had the ball in the first place. I probably would have done a better job by "fixing it."

Thoughts?
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I've changed my call when I was wrong. Same thing happened to us Monday night, A1 and A2 fighting for the ball, we did a no call waiting for them to figure out they were on the same team.

But last week, I did a Block call, realized I was wrong, defender had position and changed it to a Charge.

Getting the call right is more important. I think.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I've changed my call when I was wrong. Same thing happened to us Monday night, A1 and A2 fighting for the ball, we did a no call waiting for them to figure out they were on the same team.

But last week, I did a Block call, realized I was wrong, defender had position and changed it to a Charge.

Getting the call right is more important. I think.
Changing a block call to a charge is a little different in my book. Probably wouldn't do that.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I'm the T and U, two man system.

There's a loose ball in the lane and "scrum." I see a tie up, wait a second or two, and call the held ball. Arrow points to Team B (who is on defense).

The R comes to me to communicate that actually, two players from Team A were fighting for the ball. I told him, in that case, I have no problem changing my call to an inadvertant whistle. The R says I shouldn't, because I already signaled the held ball. He's the R, so I relent and stick with my call. Team B's ball.

We talked about it more at halftime, and he really didn't want me with egg on my face by changing my call. Honestly, I don't care. I feel the reason we communicate is so we get it right. Had I gone with an inadvertant whistle, the worst that could happen would be a brief explanation to Team B's coach that his team never had the ball in the first place. I probably would have done a better job by "fixing it."

Thoughts?

I am little tired of people saying the "R" said I shouldn't do something so we didn't. Grow a pair and make a call...or in this case change "your" call. When the game starts we are a crew and not a R, U1 (U2). Make the right call, not the popular or easy call.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

No prob with changing a violation call, however, a foul call is a different story all together.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 12:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...We talked about it more at halftime, and he really didn't want me with egg on my face by changing my call. Honestly, I don't care. I feel the reason we communicate is so we get it right. Had I gone with an inadvertant whistle, the worst that could happen would be a brief explanation to Team B's coach that his team never had the ball in the first place. I probably would have done a better job by "fixing it."

Thoughts?
I don't how changing a wrong call on the spot would leave you with any more egg on your face that actually sticking with an obviously wrong call.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

If he thought you shouldn't change it, why in the world would he feel the need to come tell you about it at that time?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...whew, is there an uglier changed call in all of basketball?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If he thought you shouldn't change it, why in the world would he feel the need to come tell you about it at that time?
Yeah, that too.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

But, let me understand this. It is permissible to do this, but it just looks ugly.
But if your partner had signaled the charge, you are not allowed to change yours, is that right?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I am little tired of people saying the "R" said I shouldn't do something so we didn't. Grow a pair and make a call...or in this case change "your" call. When the game starts we are a crew and not a R, U1 (U2). Make the right call, not the popular or easy call.
+1

Just this week I had a game where as transitioning to the new lead we had the long up the court pass. As the play develops I can see a crash getting ready to happen. Classic, A1 looking back for the pass running up the court B1 getting into legal guarding position. A1 catches the ball takes a step as he is turning up court B1 is there....crash. I come out with player control. B1 on the ground ( actually head bleeding where the tooth of A1 caught him in the forehead). As coach and trainer are coming on the floor my partner comes up to me and says "You know you can just as easily come out of there with a walk and no foul has to be given." I simply said, it was a foul. He then went on to explain that if you call a walk in that situation really neither coach says much because you can't really tell because it happens so fast.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaref View Post
no prob with changing a violation call, however, a foul call is a different story all together.
+1
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I agree. I had two games where I was not the R this season and the R made a crucial bad call/decision in both of those games (not the same R). These were decisions that could change the outcome of the game so I stepped in and corrected it. They didn't like it but I had the rule book to back me up. Whether I am the R or U (U1 or U2) in a game, my theory is once the jump ball is over, we are equals on the floor and it is our responsibility to get the calls right. If someone needs to correct me then they need to do that - I am human, I am going to miss a call now and then. This "pride" thing is for the birds

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Thu Jan 06, 2011 at 02:08pm.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 02:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
But, let me understand this. It is permissible to do this, but it just looks ugly.
But if your partner had signaled the charge, you are not allowed to change yours, is that right?
Will you get over that already!!!

Peace
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 02:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Don Quixote', only if you honestly made a mistake. Otherwise it's called lying.