The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

I am the socrekeeper for our local junior high and high school basketball teams. When I am the official book and a referee signals a foul on a number I know is wrong(#30 instead of #20, etc) I always call the referee to the table to verify the number. However, tonight the official scorer just recorded the number even though she admitted when questioned that she knew the referee had signals the wrong number. What is the rule? Am I obligated to record the number as the referee signals it or am I supposed to ask the referee again what number he called to give him a chance to correct it?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

You are obligated to make sure you understand what the official was reporting.
If he/she reports to fast that can cause confusion on your part, and cause a player to have more or less fouls than they actually had. Hit the horn 3 quick times to get officials attention. this is not a time to question the call, but it is a time to verify your records. I have been refereeing and clock keeper counted down the last 10 seconds verbally so that the players (his sons team) could here time running out. I politely told him to never do that again.
Always ask if you are'nt for sure

thanks

Don
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Per your question, regardless wether or not you are the 'home book', you are to compare records per every item, if at any time there is a discrepancy, the referee shall be notified to resolve the conflict. If the mistake cannot be found, the referee shall accept the home book. Re: Rule 2, sect. 11, art. 11...
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

skbbowen

First, you are not correctig the foul call you are making sure that you have the correct player CHARGED in the book.
As a scorer and a referee i would let the official know that you did not understand his report or there is no such player on the floor or in the book. The floor official may have had a different call then you did at the table. The most important thing is to GET IT RIGHT, and take care of it early. You are part of the TEAM that is on the floor.

Good Luck

------------------
Don
Old Wed Jan 05, 2000, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

It is one thing if the scorers don't understand what is being signaled to the table, however, here it sounds as if the scorer is seeing what he/she thinks is the person committing the foul and then the official is reporting another number. If the official is clear in the number they are reporting then that is the number the official wants to be charged with the foul. If it is a question of the report being 21 instead of 31, then ask. If it is 44 instead of 22 then I would not ask.

KJ