Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyref10 View Post
+1

Just this week I had a game where as transitioning to the new lead we had the long up the court pass. As the play develops I can see a crash getting ready to happen. Classic, A1 looking back for the pass running up the court B1 getting into legal guarding position. A1 catches the ball takes a step as he is turning up court B1 is there....crash. I come out with player control. B1 on the ground ( actually head bleeding where the tooth of A1 caught him in the forehead). As coach and trainer are coming on the floor my partner comes up to me and says "You know you can just as easily come out of there with a walk and no foul has to be given." I simply said, it was a foul. He then went on to explain that if you call a walk in that situation really neither coach says much because you can't really tell because it happens so fast.

You are right...I could call a travel...but he didn't travel. I will go with the foul. Thanks for offering information. The travel call here is just any easy way out of not making a tough call, and both coaches aren't always happy with the travel call.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
You are right...I could call a travel...but he didn't travel. I will go with the foul. Thanks for offering information. The travel call here is just any easy way out of not making a tough call, and both coaches aren't always happy with the travel call.
That is basically what I told him, he didn't travel.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Learned this at a camp...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I'm the T and U, two man system.

There's a loose ball in the lane and "scrum." I see a tie up, wait a second or two, and call the held ball. Arrow points to Team B (who is on defense).

The R comes to me to communicate that actually, two players from Team A were fighting for the ball. I told him, in that case, I have no problem changing my call to an inadvertant whistle. The R says I shouldn't, because I already signaled the held ball. He's the R, so I relent and stick with my call. Team B's ball.

We talked about it more at halftime, and he really didn't want me with egg on my face by changing my call. Honestly, I don't care. I feel the reason we communicate is so we get it right. Had I gone with an inadvertant whistle, the worst that could happen would be a brief explanation to Team B's coach that his team never had the ball in the first place. I probably would have done a better job by "fixing it."

Thoughts?
Baisey - a long time ago Frank Scagliotta (hate name dropping) said when you make a mistake blow your whistle, tap your chest and say "My mistake" and give the ball to the right team.

At that point everybody sees that you have admitted your mistake and we are know going to continue the game.

As far as what the "R" thinks - who made him god ???????????
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If he thought you shouldn't change it, why in the world would he feel the need to come tell you about it at that time?
That was my first reaction when I read the OP. If he's 100% sure it was 2 players from the same team and you aren't 100%, then get it right.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

So two Team A members are "scrumming with the ball" and you call it a jump.

What is worse explaining that you messed up? or trying to explain how they lost the ball on ajump when Team B was no where in the play and then you T the A coach up because we cant get it right, afraid to admit a mistake, or appear to be too arrogant to listen?

and how do you explain to CoachB he got a jump ball and lost the arrow for the next time he legitimately does tie it up?

R is setting up the crew for failure. How does R react to Coach A when he asks but you saw two team A players with the ball and allowed partner to get it wrong? (Especially when he comes in and tells you) Everyone in the gym knows what your talking about. He loese all credabbility with both coaches because we cant get it right. Coach B is no dummy and will be wondering what else we are afraid to fix.

Compounded if all of this is on video

No Guts No glory.

GIGDGO and GIR
Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Instead of one mistake, it becomes a cluster**** by depriving Team A of the ball, giving Team B the ball, AND making Team B use its arrow.

I don't understand what your R is saying. By not changing the call with the additional information, all he's done is add more "egg" to yours and the entire crew's face. With his line of thinking, he wouldn't want you to change an out of bounds call if he clearly had information that was contrary to your call.

If I was in your situation, as soon as my partner(s) give me that information, I'm blowing my whistle and changing the call.

Me: "Jump ball...Team B's ball"
P: "We've got two Team A players with the ball."
Me: "You're right..." *Tweet* A's ball

Doing it quickly like that wouldn't give this R a chance to change the call since he's all about "egg" on people's face and I'm assuming he wouldn't want any on his face.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 07, 2011, 11:14am
Back from the DL

I appreciate the thoughts, guys.

The crux of this -- beyond the error -- is I put too much power into the R. That won't happen again.

Actually, it didn't, as I had a game yesterday where the R was going to apply a rule incorrectly (that's another thread), but I held firm with the correct application, and got it right.