The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

coach tech

Looking for opinions on the correct way to handle this. GV game, end of half there is a frantic scramble under the basket and a girl gets a half hearted attempt off before the buzzer, but it is from way behind her head and the defense gets her hand on top of it - shooter may have been jostled a bit, but it didn't warrant a foul IMO so no call. We go to center court and coach is walking out with his team and gets testy about the no call. I just explain what I saw and he turns to walk away and grumbled something under his breath that I didn't quite understand so I let him go...but it got me to thinking if you tech a coach in that situation where teams are walkng off the floor at halftime do you blow your whistle and draw attention to the scene or do you just signal it so he knows and walk to the table to let them know what you have?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Put coach on blast
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Looking for opinions on the correct way to handle this. GV game, end of half there is a frantic scramble under the basket and a girl gets a half hearted attempt off before the buzzer, but it is from way behind her head and the defense gets her hand on top of it - shooter may have been jostled a bit, but it didn't warrant a foul IMO so no call. We go to center court and coach is walking out with his team and gets testy about the no call. I just explain what I saw and he turns to walk away and grumbled something under his breath that I didn't quite understand so I let him go...but it got me to thinking if you tech a coach in that situation where teams are walkng off the floor at halftime do you blow your whistle and draw attention to the scene or do you just signal it so he knows and walk to the table to let them know what you have?
You let everyone know you called it, but this is one where you let the coach have his uninformed say and let him go back to the locker room.

Did you wait at center court behind the circle until both teams cleared? Force the coach to go out of his way to say something, if he's so inclined.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You let everyone know you called it, but this is one where you let the coach have his uninformed say and let him go back to the locker room.

Did you wait at center court behind the circle until both teams cleared? Force the coach to go out of his way to say something, if he's so inclined.
I don't recall exactly where we were, we were walking toward the center circle, but to your point good suggestion to stay as far back as possible. At this point his team was walking off right after the buzzer so he was probably almost to the center circle to complain, but then had to go back to get his clipboard - so he wasn't "walking off" per se, he was walking out to complain. When he passed us again he didn't say anything. Agree with you about letting him have a little rope here as long as he moves on quickly, but I THOUGHT I heard the words "piss poor" in there as he walked away mumbling - had I been sure that is what was said, venting or no venting I wouldn't have let that go.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
SOP in football and basketball. Keep t'hell away from the coaches at the half and at the end of a game. If they do come to you, deal with it.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
... I THOUGHT I heard the words "piss poor" in there as he walked away mumbling
Maybe he was talking about his coaching?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Head 'Em Off At The Pass ...

Quote:
Did you wait at center court behind the circle until both teams cleared?
We had a coach once who waited for us at the table, figuring we had to check in with the table crew, and pick up our jackets. He figured wrong. After waiting in the center circle for about three, or four, minutes, we just headed straight to the locker room, figuring we would grab at jackets at the end of the game. Silly coaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
we just headed straight to the locker room, figuring we would grab at jackets at the end of the game.
Last night - went to pick up jackets after everyone left the court and couldn't find them. Went to locker room - and there they are. Next to each jacket and nice cold bottle of water and a certificate for a sub from the local sub shop for our dinner after the game. I hope I go back. Really nice place that treats you very well!!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
We had a coach once who waited for us at the table, figuring we had to check in with the table crew, and pick up our jackets. He figured wrong. After waiting in the center circle for about three, or four, minutes, we just headed straight to the locker room, figuring we would grab at jackets at the end of the game. Silly coaches.
I would ask the game manager or athletic director if he/she would kindly retrieve our jackets for us at the table.

Or if I was feeling stubborn, I'd just spend my halftime at the center circle. The coach will leave eventually.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 01:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tastes Great, Less Filling ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
nice cold bottle of water. I hope I go back. Really nice place that treats you very well!!
Sounds nice, but not as nice as the private prep school that we service that has cold beer waiting for us in the locker room.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds nice, but not as nice as the private prep school that we service that has cold beer waiting for us in the locker room.
At halftime!
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 08:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But We're What You Call Professionals ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
At halftime!
It's there. It's certainly tempting.

Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 09:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Last night - went to pick up jackets after everyone left the court and couldn't find them. Went to locker room - and there they are. Next to each jacket and nice cold bottle of water and a certificate for a sub from the local sub shop for our dinner after the game. I hope I go back. Really nice place that treats you very well!!
Where do I sign up for this gig!? That's great.

Best I've had was at an elite Holiday Tournament a fews backs where we had the entire snackbar at our disposal - anything we wanted - soda, gatorade, water, pizza, hotdogs, pretzels, etc.

I was told by one of the vets they used to have an entire seperate room for the officials with food spread out for the entire day. Ah, the good ole days......
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Best I've had was at an elite Holiday Tournament a fews backs where we had the entire snackbar at our disposal - anything we wanted - soda, gatorade, water, pizza, hotdogs, pretzels, etc.

I was told by one of the vets they used to have an entire seperate room for the officials with food spread out for the entire day. Ah, the good ole days......
I went an observed a game a few weeks ago where there was a "Courtesy Room" for officials, bus drivers, etc. Since I wasn't working, I just sat and visited with the crew, but it was a pretty nice spread.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2011, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

That's kind of like the setup we had for the 3A/4A Regionals last year with the green room being used for event staff & coaches.

However not gonna be seeing that anymore as the Regionals are a thing of the past thanks to a new playoff setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post