The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

This happened tonight

My partner and I refereed the game between OHMS and NWMS tonight. XXXX XXXXXXX is the coach for the OHMS 7th grade team.

Early in the first quarter I called a three second violation on NWMS. While I was counting the seconds the player was in the key, Mr. XXXXX was loudly saying, "Three seconds! Three seconds!" When I made the call I looked at him and said, "I've got it!"

Later in the first half, I called a three second violation on OHMS. He asked me which player and I told him. I was then the new trail right in front of the OHMS bench. As soon as I arrived there, he was counting out loud (and not quietly), "One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand."

I blew my whistle and administered a technical. He said, "I was just counting to myself!" I reported to the table since I was right there and then moved to talk to my partner. Mr. XXXXXXX asked me for an explanation. I explained, "That was unsportsmanlike conduct." He said, "Why? Because I'm wanting you to call it the same both sides?" I repeated, "It was unsportsmanlike conduct" and moved away.

There were no further issues that game.

This was my report. Anyone who might have done something differently?

Rita
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

My advice is be careful to be too quick in assessing a T. I would warn him, or tell him to knock it off unless it was so obvious that he was trying to show you up...
A 3 second call or two would not be enough to push my buttons...
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

i agree - not sure I would have issued the T on this one. I would have warned him and if he did it again I would have given the T.

Robby
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
My partner and I refereed the game between OHMS and NWMS tonight. XXXX XXXXXXX is the coach for the OHMS 7th grade team.

Early in the first quarter I called a three second violation on NWMS. While I was counting the seconds the player was in the key, Mr. XXXXX was loudly saying, "Three seconds! Three seconds!" When I made the call I looked at him and said, "I've got it!"

Later in the first half, I called a three second violation on OHMS. He asked me which player and I told him. I was then the new trail right in front of the OHMS bench. As soon as I arrived there, he was counting out loud (and not quietly), "One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand."

I blew my whistle and administered a technical. He said, "I was just counting to myself!" I reported to the table since I was right there and then moved to talk to my partner. Mr. XXXXXXX asked me for an explanation. I explained, "That was unsportsmanlike conduct." He said, "Why? Because I'm wanting you to call it the same both sides?" I repeated, "It was unsportsmanlike conduct" and moved away.

There were no further issues that game.

This was my report. Anyone who might have done something differently?

Rita
I don't have a problem with it. That's just stupid. He had it coming.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes we forget that we are dealing with a 7th Grade Coach and not a high school or college coach that might know better not to count. I think this is a "talk to" (warning).
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good T, IMO. You'd already asked him to stop, and he continued anyway.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
My $0.02

I don't disagree with the T; I agree with Tony that "he had it coming". But since they were both basically doing the same thing, didn't they both have it coming? Or neither?

Both coaches were being chumps, trying to coerce you into making a call. Looking at it from Chump B's perspective, Chump A appeared to have just successfully worked you to get a call. Chump B now feels he can do the same, maybe even that he needs to just to stay even. But while Chump A got the call, Chump B got the T. Chump B now feels doubly screwed. And you appear very inconsistent.

There are two specific things I think I would have done differently. First, "early in the first quarter" there is no way I'm going to reward Chump A with a three seconds call while he's behaving badly. It sends the wrong message. To both coaches.

Second, I would attempt try to address both coaches' behavior with a few well chosen words. "Coach, I need you to let us call the game." or "We're not doing that tonight, Coach." or "That's enough, Coach." It usually works pretty well. And when it doesn't, I still have that T tucked in my back pocket. It makes a lovely parting gift
I'm reading it as the same coach making this mistake. When she told him "I've got it," that's his warning.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Depends on the history with the coach. I like the "T" in this case.

I still haven't given one yet this year.....
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Sometimes we forget that we are dealing with a 7th Grade Coach and not a high school or college coach that might know better not to count. I think this is a "talk to" (warning).
7th grade coach? All the more reason for giving him the T after telling him to stop.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
7th grade coach? All the more reason for giving him the T after telling him to stop.
When did he tell him to stop counting? "I've got it" is not telling him to stop.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

i agree with the "t". however, not only have i not given my first "t" this year, i haven't called three seconds in a 7th grade game/first quarter in several years. talk the kids out of there and the coaches will see you working...
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
When did he tell him to stop counting? "I've got it" is not telling him to stop.
"I've got it" is just that in my book. YMMV of course. He obviously either didn't understand or care.

Frankly, his response to the T might have drawn a 2nd.

"Because I'm wanting you to call it the same both sides?"

Again, in a 7th grade game, it would have likely gone down the same way with me.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
"I've got it" is just that in my book. YMMV of course. He obviously either didn't understand or care.

Frankly, his response to the T might have drawn a 2nd.

"Because I'm wanting you to call it the same both sides?"

Again, in a 7th grade game, it would have likely gone down the same way with me.
Agreed. I haven't had a counter in about 15 years. He drew a technical when he said, "1. 2. 3. Can't you count to 3?" My thought was, "I can count to T."

I'd be thrilled if they rewrote the 3-second rule in a way that shut up coaches who think we should be actively looking for players with one toe over the lane line opposite the ball. (This only happens in lower level and girls varsity games, IMO.)
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

IMHO - the call was good. He waited for you - then got in your ear, was obnoxious, was making an azz of himself - and succeeded. If you let it go it just encourages him to continue and encourages his players and asst. coaches to do the same. In this case I am not inclined to "give a warning". He was asking for it - you gave it to him - good for you. As you stated - no further problems.

As far as the "I was counting to myself" comment - tell him to count quietly next time!!
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
i haven't called three seconds in a 7th grade game/first quarter in several years. talk the kids out of there and the coaches will see you working...
You've never run into a player at that level that just didn't listen?

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.