Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
"Sometimes you just have to referee!" -someone on this board
"And sometimes you have to referee by the rules"- me

"And that why officiating is an art as well as being a science"- me also.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:39am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
REGARDLESS what is done, the officials have screwed the pooch with the initial call.
In other words, if you got the rule right in the first place, you wouldn't have this mess. This is why these rules are pounded into our heads.

Still, I know people that would want this situation "fixed" and reversed, under the battle cry of "common sense."
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Not sure if anyone intercepted the calling official prior to reporting in the OP, if not, this is one of the many reasons why we should come together first & talk it out.
As a newbie I feel this is very important . especially as we're learning communication with partner(s). You experienced guys and gals can communicate a lot with subtle looks and gestures etc that I don't yet pick up on , as well as partner to partner signals. And learning/trying to use proper mechanics . It's all part of the "don't rush" advice I've recieved here in previous threads , I need (and mostly have been getting) a few extra seconds sometimes on "normal " plays and procedures , more so on more complicated and important calls . If us newbies forget or mess up a mechanic , our partners don't know what's going on either! ( 2 shots or not, shot counts or not, spot of throw in, who's the foul on,warnings that were supposed to have been issued ...) I also had charged a t to a player instead of the team, knowing the throw in/plane violation rule, but messing it up anyway.This time it didn't result in a dq, but could have. Whats automatic with you , I may need to confirm or be corrected on. Then we won't need to "undo it" later in the game Maybe even the old heads need to take as much time as necessary to get it right.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 12:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can Look It Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
"And sometimes you have to referee by the rules". (Jurassic Referee)

"And that why officiating is an art as well as being a science". (Jurassic Referee)
True. It's in "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations". They're in the chapter entitled "Quotes From Hell".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 05:16pm.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 01:30pm
We don't rent pigs

In the OP, B1 has a foul recorded in the book which he did not commit. I consider this a bookkeeping error, regardless of what caused it. Now B1 no longer has 5 fouls. No reason he can't play. JMO

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Look at it this way

What if it happened like this : The mistake came just before half time. The incorrect T given to B1 became his 3rd total foul. At halftime we discuss and realize our mistake. When returning to the court would you have the scorer correct our mistake in this situation? If so, then why not near the end of the second half?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
In the OP, B1 has a foul recorded in the book which he did not commit. I consider this a bookkeeping error, regardless of what caused it. Now B1 no longer has 5 fouls. No reason he can't play. JMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
What if it happened like this : The mistake came just before half time. The incorrect T given to B1 became his 3rd total foul. At halftime we discuss and realize our mistake. When returning to the court would you have the scorer correct our mistake in this situation? If so, then why not near the end of the second half?
I believe that once something is taken to the table, that is that.
Unless of course, you report the correct info & the table takes it down wrong. That would be a bookkeeping error.

An official reporting a player technical that is really a team technical is an officials error & not a correctable one... by rule.

If we follow procedures, we minimize the chance of officials errors in those situations. IJS
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Similar situation

This play actually happened this year: A couple minutes before halftime a held ball occurred. The arrow>Team A. A's endline throw-in by their own basket was kicked by B. The scorer asked the tableside trail if the arrow should be switched. The official incorrectly answered yes. The arrow was switched >B and noted in the scorebook. The other officials didn't realize the mistake at the time but during halftime they recognized the mistake. Before the 2nd half started the referee explained the error to both coaches and had the arrow reversed >A to start the half. Would you do the same thing as the referee or leave the arrow >B knowing full well the arrow was wrong?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
This play actually happened this year: A couple minutes before halftime a held ball occurred. The arrow>Team A. A's endline throw-in by their own basket was kicked by B. The scorer asked the tableside trail if the arrow should be switched. The official incorrectly answered yes. The arrow was switched >B and noted in the scorebook. The other officials didn't realize the mistake at the time but during halftime they recognized the mistake. Before the 2nd half started the referee explained the error to both coaches and had the arrow reversed >A to start the half. Would you do the same thing as the referee or leave the arrow >B knowing full well the arrow was wrong?
Yes, and what happened to Billy Mac?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The official said "Technical foul, blue #1."

The scorer records the T on blue #1.

That is NOT a bookkeeping error.

It's an official's error.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
if i'm the "r" i'm going to make it right and then take whatever heat comes my way from the assignor, rules backing or not.
+1
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I believe that once something is taken to the table, that is that.
Unless of course, you report the correct info & the table takes it down wrong. That would be a bookkeeping error.

An official reporting a player technical that is really a team technical is an officials error & not a correctable one... by rule.

If we follow procedures, we minimize the chance of officials errors in those situations. IJS
tref,

I'm not really singling out your post. It only looks like I am.

I don't buy that "once something is taken to the table, that is that". Every one of us has goofed up and reported a foul on White 32 when it was actually committed by White 23. Normally within a couple of seconds the scorekeeper or coach brings it to our attention. When that happens, do we stick to our guns? Even if there isn't a White 32? Of course not. We figure out who actually committed the foul, and report it correctly. And if it's two plays later before the mistake is recognized, we still correct it, if we're able to.

Why?

Because we made the right call; we just screwed up the reporting. Whether the scorekeeper incorrectly records what the official correctly reported, or the official incorrectly reports what he correctly called, a mistake in "record[ing] the personal and technical fouls" is a bookkeeping mistake. And a bookkeeping mistake can be corrected any time until the referee approves the final score. Assuming, of course, you have the correct information.

The OP, of course, is quite a different situation. But I am unconvinced that "by rule" it cannot be corrected. I simply cannot find any rule that says that if it is discovered that a player has erroneously been disqualified, that he shall remain disqualified. However, I find a compelling parallel in the opposite case: a player who has erroneously been allowed to remain in the game after committing his fifth foul. There is no window of opportunity for fixing this. When discovered, you simply remove the player from the game. No attempt is made to undo any result of his having remained in the game. To me, that is a much more relevant rule to extrapolate from than the awarding of a throw-in to the wrong team.

I'm with Nevada on this. When you realize the player was erroneously disqualified, let him back in the game. You were wrong once. Do you really need to continue being wrong?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 03:32am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I don't think you have the rules backing to do that, Nevada, after the ball became live again.
What would the ball becoming live again have to do with it?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
What would the ball becoming live again have to do with it?
Nothing. Should have said live ball and the clock starting.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 02:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Nothing. Should have said live ball and the clock starting.
OK. What does that have to do with it?

Lonesome Dove