The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Please help me on the proper mechanic:

MSBL game, bases loaded, no outs. Batter hits high-bounding grounder to F5, who cleanly fields it. I'm PU and my partner BU is in Position C. From my angle (1B line extended) it appears that F5 fields ball in front of the bag without touching it, and with everyone yelling I didn't hear the BU call out at 3B. F5 throws to F2 who makes no attempt to tag R3, beating sliding R3 who touched the dish. I call R3 out.

I then hear defensive bench yelling that F5 touched third and commanding F2, who also did not see F5 touching third, to tag R3 on the assumption that R3 didn't touch the dish. I emhatically say that R3 touched the dish and then ask BU if F5 touched third. He said yes, so I corrected my call to safe.

Query: Following the one-play-one-call rule, should I have delayed my initial out call on the apparent force play until conferring with BU?

Thank you.

[Edited by insatty on Jun 17th, 2002 at 06:20 PM]
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

I think you have to make the call you think is correct based on the information that you have and let the appeal process handle it if necessary.

If you make no call and confer with your partner you are asking for a lot of trouble because the coaches and fans will assume you are indecisive and ride you hard the rest of the night/season.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
How About a Verbal Out

Quote:
Originally posted by insatty
Please help me on the proper mechanic:

MSBL game, bases loaded, no outs. Batter hits high-bounding grounder to F5, who cleanly fields it. I'm PU and my partner BU is in Position C. From my angle (1B line extended) it appears that F5 fields ball in front of the bag without touching it, and with everyone yelling I didn't hear the BU call out at 3B. F5 throws to F2 who makes no attempt to tag R3, beating sliding R3 who touched the dish. I call R3 out.

I then hear defensive bench yelling that F5 touched third and commanding F2, who also did not see F5 touching third, to tag R3 on the assumption that R3 didn't touch the dish. I emhatically say that R3 touched the dish and then ask BU if F5 touched third. He said yes, so I corrected my call to safe.

Query: Following the one-play-one-call rule, should I have delayed my initial out call on the apparent force play until conferring with BU?

Thank you.

[Edited by insatty on Jun 17th, 2002 at 06:20 PM]
I think you had no other choice in this instance. It would have helped if BU called "Out" instead of I presume signalling the out.