View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 07:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
While I agree with the comment above, I see no reason to continue to enforce the incorrect penalty and would make the change to a team technical foul and allow B1 to participate further in the contest.

Also, this kind of irregularity would most likely warrant a phone call to the assignor and/or a report to the governing authority whether that be the league or state association. Team B may have grounds to protest the game, not per NFHS rules, but perhaps per the league or state.

The bottom line is to not make the situation worse once one has knowledge that the assessed penalty is incorrect. Do what you can to address it.
I don't think you have the rules backing to do that, Nevada, after the ball became live again. I agree philosophically but our personal feelings really don't mean squat. It's not a case of a bookkeeping error as listed under 2-11-11; it's an inadvertant setting aside of a rule by the calling official. Note that case book play 2.11.10SitB uses that terminology in it's RULING. You're not correcting an incorrect penalty; you're trying to correct a wrong call instead...after the fact. It's no different than making any wrong call and then trying to go back later and change that call. If you ask your partners at the half about a foul call that you made in the first quarter, and they tell you it was a horsesh!t call, are you going to go back and change it? And we already know we can't have a do-over if we give the wrong team the ball on a throw-in that has ended or other situations like that.

Methinks you just have to suck it up, admit your mistake, let the chips fall where they may and move on.

Thoughts?