LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 02:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

A Rare Free Throw Violation

Don't see this called too often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10kM86Q5twc
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Last week in a girls varsity game I got up to 9 seconds and was about to blow my whistle when the girl released. She did this every free throw she had. I thought I was going to have to call the violation but fortunately I did not. I have yet to have to call that violation
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

You waited until the release to stop your count?
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 02:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Advantage Disadvantage ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Last week in a girls varsity game I got up to 9 seconds and was about to blow my whistle when the girl released.
Just exactly at what point in your count were you going to call the violation?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

uh....10 seconds....what am I missing that you all seem to see
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 03:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Advantage Disadvantage ...

Quote:
What am I missing that you all seem to see
Hint: I've been playing, coaching, and officiating basketball for over forty years, including thirty years officiating, and this is the first time I've ever seen the violation called. That's a lot of basketball games without seeing this particular violation called.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
uh....10 seconds....what am I missing that you all seem to see
This is the one timing violation that's typically not called at 10 seconds exactly.
1. I have a very slow count on FTs.
2. I have a very slow count on FTs.
3. If I get to 10 and the shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
4. If I get to 11 and shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
5. I have a very slow count on FTs. (I've never gone past 8)
6. If I've gotten to 15 and the shooter is just standing there, I'll think about blowing the whistle.

Seriously, I like the call in the video, as Howard is just standing there; not even close to shooting when the whistle blows.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I agree - as I said I have never seen it called nor called it myself but the question I have is I was asked at what point in the count was I going to call the violation since I had reached 9 in the count. I am try to figure out what I am missing about this rule then?

99% of the time most shooters shoot the ball before I get to 5

But if we give them 15 seconds to shoot that means that we are making our own rules up for the game. I am a slow counter so by the time I get to 10 it is probably closer to 12 or 13 seconds. I am not looking for violations to call but if you aren't going to call this one, why not give them 15 seconds to get the ball across the division line, or 15 seconds to get it inbounded, etc.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 03:17pm.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Apologies To Potter Stewart ...

"I know it when I see it, and the violation involved in this case is not that."

I've got up to twelve a couple of times. I honestly don't know how high I would count before I called a vilolation. I do have a limit. I just don't know what it is. Hopefully I'll know it when I get there. I just hope that I never get there.

Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I use a slow count, as well. And, my count ends when the player begins his/her habitual shooting motion, as opposed to on the release.

edit: "shooting motion" can be tricky for at least one reason. Sometimes, the pending FT try will be made by a player that's yet to shoot a FT yet. So, how in the heck do I really know what their 'shooting motion' looks like? Hence, I just stop counting when they raise the ball after dribbling/spinning routine. right or wrong, I've never blown for this violation.

Last edited by DLH17; Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 03:58pm.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is the one timing violation that's typically not called at 10 seconds exactly.
1. I have a very slow count on FTs.
2. I have a very slow count on FTs.
3. If I get to 10 and the shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
4. If I get to 11 and shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
5. I have a very slow count on FTs. (I've never gone past 8)
6. If I've gotten to 15 and the shooter is just standing there, I'll think about blowing the whistle.

Seriously, I like the call in the video, as Howard is just standing there; not even close to shooting when the whistle blows.
Agreed on all accounts.

Apparently the NBA League office had warned Howard and the Magic that he was taking too long on free throws and that officials had been instructed to call it. In the video Howard already had the ball at :02 and the violation is called at :16 and he does not appear to even being close to starting his shooting motion.

In over 15 years of playing, coaching, and officiating, and watching MANY, MANY games I had NEVER seen this called until working an AAU game this summer. My partner called it and I didnt even see it because I was tying my shoe. He said the kid stepped away from the line with the ball. I was laughing saying I had never seen that actually called and that I was glad he was taking his time so that I could get myself together. It seemed kind of quick but neither the coach or player really said anything.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think the main reason officials are reluctant to call this is because there's no advantage gained by the shooter in delaying. The clock is stopped and the rebounders are already in position along the lane. Maybe shooters who take a long time to shoot are just using the time to picture their technique in their mind as some kind of mental tool to help themselves make a better shot. I think I've called it once or twice in my career and only because the time was excessive.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Agreed on all accounts.

Apparently the NBA League office had warned Howard and the Magic that he was taking too long on free throws and that officials had been instructed to call it. In the video Howard already had the ball at :02 and the violation is called at :16 and he does not appear to even being close to starting his shooting motion.

In over 15 years of playing, coaching, and officiating, and watching MANY, MANY games I had NEVER seen this called until working an AAU game this summer. My partner called it and I didnt even see it because I was tying my shoe. He said the kid stepped away from the line with the ball. I was laughing saying I had never seen that actually called and that I was glad he was taking his time so that I could get myself together. It seemed kind of quick but neither the coach or player really said anything.
THERE'S the problem. Kids are so used to having us wait until they tie their shoes, that in this case, the kid was waiting for you to tie YOURS.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:38pm
Administrator

We should all try the FIBA rule: 5 seconds, not 10 seconds like in NFHS, NCAA, and NBA/WNBA.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
We should all try the FIBA rule: 5 seconds, not 10 seconds like in NFHS, NCAA, and NBA/WNBA.

MTD, Sr.

Are those metric seconds?