The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A Rare Free Throw Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60274-rare-free-throw-violation.html)

Welpe Tue Dec 28, 2010 02:13pm

A Rare Free Throw Violation

Don't see this called too often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10kM86Q5twc

RobbyinTN Tue Dec 28, 2010 02:19pm

Last week in a girls varsity game I got up to 9 seconds and was about to blow my whistle when the girl released. She did this every free throw she had. I thought I was going to have to call the violation but fortunately I did not. I have yet to have to call that violation

DLH17 Tue Dec 28, 2010 02:26pm

You waited until the release to stop your count?

BillyMac Tue Dec 28, 2010 02:36pm

Advantage Disadvantage ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 710450)
Last week in a girls varsity game I got up to 9 seconds and was about to blow my whistle when the girl released.

Just exactly at what point in your count were you going to call the violation?

RobbyinTN Tue Dec 28, 2010 02:55pm

uh....10 seconds....what am I missing that you all seem to see

BillyMac Tue Dec 28, 2010 03:09pm

Advantage Disadvantage ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 710460)
What am I missing that you all seem to see

Hint: I've been playing, coaching, and officiating basketball for over forty years, including thirty years officiating, and this is the first time I've ever seen the violation called. That's a lot of basketball games without seeing this particular violation called.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:putN8qC3sCT6iM:

Adam Tue Dec 28, 2010 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 710460)
uh....10 seconds....what am I missing that you all seem to see

This is the one timing violation that's typically not called at 10 seconds exactly.
1. I have a very slow count on FTs.
2. I have a very slow count on FTs.
3. If I get to 10 and the shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
4. If I get to 11 and shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
5. I have a very slow count on FTs. (I've never gone past 8)
6. If I've gotten to 15 and the shooter is just standing there, I'll think about blowing the whistle.

Seriously, I like the call in the video, as Howard is just standing there; not even close to shooting when the whistle blows.

RobbyinTN Tue Dec 28, 2010 03:12pm

I agree - as I said I have never seen it called nor called it myself but the question I have is I was asked at what point in the count was I going to call the violation since I had reached 9 in the count. I am try to figure out what I am missing about this rule then?

99% of the time most shooters shoot the ball before I get to 5

But if we give them 15 seconds to shoot that means that we are making our own rules up for the game. I am a slow counter so by the time I get to 10 it is probably closer to 12 or 13 seconds. I am not looking for violations to call but if you aren't going to call this one, why not give them 15 seconds to get the ball across the division line, or 15 seconds to get it inbounded, etc.

BillyMac Tue Dec 28, 2010 03:25pm

Apologies To Potter Stewart ...

"I know it when I see it, and the violation involved in this case is not that."

I've got up to twelve a couple of times. I honestly don't know how high I would count before I called a vilolation. I do have a limit. I just don't know what it is. Hopefully I'll know it when I get there. I just hope that I never get there.

DLH17 Tue Dec 28, 2010 03:52pm

I use a slow count, as well. And, my count ends when the player begins his/her habitual shooting motion, as opposed to on the release.

edit: "shooting motion" can be tricky for at least one reason. Sometimes, the pending FT try will be made by a player that's yet to shoot a FT yet. So, how in the heck do I really know what their 'shooting motion' looks like? Hence, I just stop counting when they raise the ball after dribbling/spinning routine. right or wrong, I've never blown for this violation.

VaTerp Tue Dec 28, 2010 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 710464)
This is the one timing violation that's typically not called at 10 seconds exactly.
1. I have a very slow count on FTs.
2. I have a very slow count on FTs.
3. If I get to 10 and the shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
4. If I get to 11 and shooter is about to shoot, I'm not blowing.
5. I have a very slow count on FTs. (I've never gone past 8)
6. If I've gotten to 15 and the shooter is just standing there, I'll think about blowing the whistle.

Seriously, I like the call in the video, as Howard is just standing there; not even close to shooting when the whistle blows.

Agreed on all accounts.

Apparently the NBA League office had warned Howard and the Magic that he was taking too long on free throws and that officials had been instructed to call it. In the video Howard already had the ball at :02 and the violation is called at :16 and he does not appear to even being close to starting his shooting motion.

In over 15 years of playing, coaching, and officiating, and watching MANY, MANY games I had NEVER seen this called until working an AAU game this summer. My partner called it and I didnt even see it because I was tying my shoe. He said the kid stepped away from the line with the ball. I was laughing saying I had never seen that actually called and that I was glad he was taking his time so that I could get myself together. It seemed kind of quick but neither the coach or player really said anything.

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 28, 2010 04:33pm

I think the main reason officials are reluctant to call this is because there's no advantage gained by the shooter in delaying. The clock is stopped and the rebounders are already in position along the lane. Maybe shooters who take a long time to shoot are just using the time to picture their technique in their mind as some kind of mental tool to help themselves make a better shot. I think I've called it once or twice in my career and only because the time was excessive.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 28, 2010 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 710475)
Agreed on all accounts.

Apparently the NBA League office had warned Howard and the Magic that he was taking too long on free throws and that officials had been instructed to call it. In the video Howard already had the ball at :02 and the violation is called at :16 and he does not appear to even being close to starting his shooting motion.

In over 15 years of playing, coaching, and officiating, and watching MANY, MANY games I had NEVER seen this called until working an AAU game this summer. My partner called it and I didnt even see it because I was tying my shoe. He said the kid stepped away from the line with the ball. I was laughing saying I had never seen that actually called and that I was glad he was taking his time so that I could get myself together. It seemed kind of quick but neither the coach or player really said anything.

THERE'S the problem. Kids are so used to having us wait until they tie their shoes, that in this case, the kid was waiting for you to tie YOURS.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 28, 2010 04:38pm

We should all try the FIBA rule: 5 seconds, not 10 seconds like in NFHS, NCAA, and NBA/WNBA.

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 28, 2010 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 710484)
We should all try the FIBA rule: 5 seconds, not 10 seconds like in NFHS, NCAA, and NBA/WNBA.

MTD, Sr.

Are those metric seconds?