The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Question

Calling in a 14-y old girl AAU tournament. Player recieves ball from lead while shooting a free throw. I am at T, watching the shooter. Her toe is barely touching the line but as she bounces the ball before shooting, she realizes this and pulls her toe back. Some loud mouth in the stand wants me to call a violation. I was tempted to but changed my mind when she corrected herself before releasing the ball. Free throw violation or not?
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Good no-call. No sense in punishing for this small indiscretion. If you get a chance before she shoots the second, a little reminder to make sure she stays behind the line, will do.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 09:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
Calling in a 14-y old girl AAU tournament. Player recieves ball from lead while shooting a free throw. I am at T, watching the shooter. Her toe is barely touching the line but as she bounces the ball before shooting, she realizes this and pulls her toe back. Some loud mouth in the stand wants me to call a violation. I was tempted to but changed my mind when she corrected herself before releasing the ball. Free throw violation or not?
ReadyToRef,
As long as she's not in her throwing motion, I can make that work at that level.
mick
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Good no call especially since the loud mouth said something.

[Edited by Bart Tyson on Apr 3rd, 2002 at 11:21 AM]
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, that would definitely ice it for me, no way am I calling it.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Yes, that would definitely ice it for me, no way am I calling it.
I agree! Sometimes, I might tell the loud-mouth that the rule changed last night at midnight -- just to see their expression.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Over the line

How do you all feel about sixth graders shooting free throws and they go over the line on the shot?
I don't call unless they are attempting to miss and dash after their miss. If they are just shooting and momentum carries them over I pass on it.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Over the line

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
How do you all feel about sixth graders shooting free throws and they go over the line on the shot?
I don't call unless they are attempting to miss and dash after their miss. If they are just shooting and momentum carries them over I pass on it.
As many of you know, I am on the Board of our local rec league (3rd grade thru HS - approx. 1500 kids). For our first 22 years (I've been on the Board for 12 of those), we allowed kids from 6th grade down to go over the line as they shot, as long as they didn't make a move toward the basket for a rebound.

However, this past year, we finally came to our senses and realized we were not teaching proper free throw mechanics. So, we decided to achieve that goal, but still compensate for the lack of size and strength of younger kids by putting down masking tape on the floor two feet shorter for 5th and 6th grade, and four feet shorter for 3rd and 4th grade. We then strictly enforce the line - although we do just give a warning if their toe is barely on it. BTW - 3rd and 4th always shoot at nine foot baskets.

This new FT policy has worked great. The kids are still making a decent percentage of their free throws, and they are learning the proper mechanics.

Remember, this is only in our rec division. We also have teams that play in competitive leagues and tournaments (4th grade up) and they use standard NF rules on free throws.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Some loud mouth? At AAU-fests they are ALL loudmouths.
Good no call!