The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 10:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Don't forget "White you don't talk to blue and blue you don't talk to white."

Keeping to the topic...what about a situation where you have a timeout request from a coach and you recognize that it is coming from his due to his distinctive voice. I had this last year on a scrum for a loose ball right in front of the home team bench. Just as his player gained possession of the ball, the coach bellows for a timeout. I immediately recognized who it was coming from due to his voice and the situation and granted the timeout without looking back to confirm it was him. Should I still visually verify in this type of situation?
I wouldn't. I have a few coaches I could hear over jet engine activity in the area and when they request a timeout I know it's them and grant the request immediately.

Others mileage may vary, though.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 10:53am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
While I'm at it, I can ask them to help out with loose balls, point out all of the floor markings, and remind them not to hand check.
I make the time up by just saying "1", "2", "3", or "1&1" on FTs.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't forget "White you don't talk to blue and blue you don't talk to white."

Keeping to the topic...what about a situation where you have a timeout request from a coach and you recognize that it is coming from his due to his distinctive voice. I had this last year on a scrum for a loose ball right in front of the home team bench. Just as his player gained possession of the ball, the coach bellows for a timeout. I immediately recognized who it was coming from due to his voice and the situation and granted the timeout without looking back to confirm it was him. Should I still visually verify in this type of situation?
What if his twin brother is up in the 10th row yelling "Timeout, Timeout"??
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 10:57am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
What if his twin brother is up in the 10th row yelling "Timeout, Timeout"??
Well in this case, his twin brother would have been yelling in my ear because the coach was no more than two or three feet behind me.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 10:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water-Colored Memories, Of The Way We Were

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Live ball time out requests by player only, would be a vast improvement and would lessen the confrontational opportunities during a typical game.
The way it was before the Gap ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 11:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

Quote:
I immediately recognized who it was coming from due to his voice and the situation and granted the timeout without looking back to confirm it was him. Should I still visually verify in this type of situation?
We've been told, "No". But please check your local listings.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Threadjack alert

Quote:
While I'm at it, I can ask them to help out with loose balls, point out all of the floor markings, and remind them not to hand check.
2nd year. Mostly F/JV a few Varsity this year.

I think a good pre-game conference with players and coaches would be helpful. Is there such a thing?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 11:04am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The way it was before the Gap ???
Actually, we had the point of transition to worry about back then, too. And the 5 seconds to inbound did not end on the release.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 11:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Actually, we had the point of transition to worry about back then, too. And the 5 seconds to inbound did not end on the release.
The lack of action rule. Ahh, memories.

My first season was the first year of the 3-point shot in PA. All the old, crusty vets of the day had such a hard time looking at the feet to see if the shot was a 2 or a 3. That was easy for me - I just screwed everything else up.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 12:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Last night we had a nutcutter, my first one this season. This exact thing happened in OT. Player trapped in the corner, I'm in front of the bench, 2-person trail. I hear a timeout request, player clearly has possession, I look to the bench to see the coach trying to get my attention, verifying he was, indeed requesting a timeout. By this time air went into whistle, the ball was knocked loose. I couldn't possibly care -- it's a legally requested (and granted) time out, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I took grief. Yes, I told the other coach that the player had the ball when the coach requested the timeout. Yes, the other coach disagreed and was annoyed. No, I don't care. Like I told the other coach, I'd do the same thing if he was the one requesting the timeout. Until they change the rule, I'm going to continue granting the timeout in this situation because that's what I'm supposed to do.
You took grief ONLY because it's a bad rule. You did absolutely everything perfectly that the NFHS rulesmakers had instructed you...and all of us..... to do. It's a legally requested and granted time-out as far as the rules are concerned.

We may not like 'em but we still have to call 'em...well, except for that little corner of Connecticut of course.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 12:44pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You took grief ONLY because it's a bad rule. You did absolutely everything perfectly that the NFHS rulesmakers had instructed you...and all of us..... to do. It's a legally requested and granted time-out as far as the rules are concerned.
When the timeout is actually granted is a gray area, which some of us would like to see specifically defined in the rules.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 12:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
When the timeout is actually granted is a gray area, which some of us would like to see specifically defined in the rules.
No more gray than the case play that tells us to call a double foul on a blarge.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

True Confession:

First half. A gets trapped in FC (away from the bench). B puts hands on ball and I call "held ball" just as I hear Coach A yelling for a TO (she had kind of a soft voice). B has the arrow, so as I run past Coach A, she asks, "Didn't you hear me ask for the TO?"

I replied, "Not until after the held ball. I'm not saying you didn't ask earlier, only that I didnt' hear it earlier."

She seems satisfied.

Second half, loose ball on the floor in A's BC (again, away from the bench). A dives on the ball and as B approaches I *clearly* hear a female voice from the general direction of A's bench, "Time Out." I look to the bench and Coach A is looking directly at me. So, I blow the whistle and grant the TO.

Coach A says, "We didn't request a TO."

effme.

So, we had an inadvertant whistle and A keeps the ball.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No more gray than the case play that tells us to call a double foul on a blarge.
Hey speak for the NFHS and NCAA - M only please. We on the NCAA - W side have that one already figured out!
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 01:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That one is actually not gray. It is in direct conflict with definitions in the rule book. Pretty easy to figure out, I thought.

Lonesome Dove