View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 12:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last night we had a nutcutter, my first one this season. This exact thing happened in OT. Player trapped in the corner, I'm in front of the bench, 2-person trail. I hear a timeout request, player clearly has possession, I look to the bench to see the coach trying to get my attention, verifying he was, indeed requesting a timeout. By this time air went into whistle, the ball was knocked loose. I couldn't possibly care -- it's a legally requested (and granted) time out, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I took grief. Yes, I told the other coach that the player had the ball when the coach requested the timeout. Yes, the other coach disagreed and was annoyed. No, I don't care. Like I told the other coach, I'd do the same thing if he was the one requesting the timeout. Until they change the rule, I'm going to continue granting the timeout in this situation because that's what I'm supposed to do.
You took grief ONLY because it's a bad rule. You did absolutely everything perfectly that the NFHS rulesmakers had instructed you...and all of us..... to do. It's a legally requested and granted time-out as far as the rules are concerned.

We may not like 'em but we still have to call 'em...well, except for that little corner of Connecticut of course.