The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Red face

I hope you all have patience with a rookie official asking probably some silly questions:

I worked a rec-league game last night (two man). I was the umpire.

I was the trail official, in this situation: team A trailing by 3 with less than thirty seconds to go. Team A player attempts a shot at the far side of the key from me. I see him "toe the line" and point to the floor indicating a two.

The lead official the referee, signals a three-point attempt. A conference ensues, where the referee insists he has the three. (how looking through all the legs and bodies is beyond me).

Here are the questions:

- Was this my call since it was in my zone?
- I deferred to the referee and scored the three
(correct or not)?
- Lastly, Is a player who is standing but squaring up to
the basket with the ball at his waist in the "act of
shooting" My call was yes.

I can't tell you how valuable this forum is, rookies in my chapter don't get much support.

Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by suntzu45
I hope you all have patience with a rookie official asking probably some silly questions:

I worked a rec-league game last night (two man). I was the umpire.

I was the trail official, in this situation: team A trailing by 3 with less than thirty seconds to go. Team A player attempts a shot at the far side of the key from me. I see him "toe the line" and point to the floor indicating a two.

The lead official the referee, signals a three-point attempt. A conference ensues, where the referee insists he has the three. (how looking through all the legs and bodies is beyond me).

Here are the questions:

Yes, from what you described it was. I generally use the free-throw line as my reference point; above the free-throw line I will signal; below opposite of me I will not.

(correct or not)?

You went to the referee with information in which you knew was 100% right. You provide that information and move on from there.

- Lastly, Is a player who is standing but squaring up to
the basket with the ball at his waist in the "act of
shooting" My call was yes.

This one is hard to visualize. However, I will say no. squaring up to the basket imo is not the "act of shooting"

I can't tell you how valuable this forum is, rookies in my chapter don't get much support.

I understand how you feel!!

Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by suntzu45

Kind of hard to tell from your description. You said that the shot was on the opposite side of the lane from you. As truerookie pointed out, if the shot was taken from below the FT-line-extended, then that would be the Lead's primary area of responsibility. If it was above the FT-line-extended, then it would be your responsibility.

Quote:
(correct or not)?

Probably correct. The Referee decides if a goal shall count if the officials can't agree. If we really stretched it, we could say that the Referee decided that your 2-point goal didn't count and his 3-point goal did count.

But this is Jurassic's nightmare scenario. You are 100% convinced that it's a 2 and your partner is 100% convinced that it's a 3. Are you going to have a fistfight out at midcourt to decide who's right? No. So you did, I think, the prudent thing. (Especially since it's a rec league -- just keep it movin'! )

Quote:
- Lastly, Is a player who is standing but squaring up to the basket with the ball at his waist in the "act of shooting" My call was yes.
I would say no. Standing square to the basket is not part of the "habitual motion" of shooting. If you were to say that he was actively turning to the basket, then I would say "yes". "Standing" is not shooting. But moving the hands, legs, or feet to start a shot obviously is shooting.

I had the pleasure of being observed at camp by Ted Valentine and a coach got on me for giving "continuous motion" and awarding FTs on a foul. Ted told me, "Just say, 'Coach, hand, foot, leg movement. It only takes one'."

Hope that helps a little.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

If this shot is in your area, where were you at on the floor? Were you along the opposite sideline, or did you get out onto the floor where you could see? I know when I was a newer official, I often didn't get out onto the floor to get an angle when the ball was far-side. If this was the case, your partner might have had a better look at it.