The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I don't see how you could do that. If A1 accidentally contacts B1 in the process of getting up and reentering the court, I see no reason why you couldn't have a common foul. If he tries to make a play and contacts the thrower, I think you could go with the intentional, no matter where A1 was standing when the contact occurred.
I like that description and I think that is the missing link. Accidental but causing disadvantage = Common

Making an attempt at the ball and contact = Intentional
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Think about the nature and intent of the rule and act. I can't see even a common foul in this case. .
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I don't see how you could do that. If A1 accidentally contacts B1 in the process of getting up and reentering the court, I see no reason why you couldn't have a common foul. If he tries to make a play and contacts the thrower, I think you could go with the intentional, no matter where A1 was standing when the contact occurred.
It depends on the situation - too many unknown variables. Was B2 standing over/too close to A1 for him to be able to get up without interfering. Was A1 slow in getting up indicating a possible injury? In that case, if B2 hasn't yet inbounded the ball, stopping play for a possible injury is fully justified as MTD indicated. It's one of those HTBT situations, and since it's purely hypothetical there's no right answer. It could be common, could be intentional or could be nothing depending on the specifics of the situation.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:17am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
It depends on the situation - too many unknown variables. Was B2 standing over/too close to A1 for him to be able to get up without interfering. Was A1 slow in getting up indicating a possible injury? In that case, if B2 hasn't yet inbounded the ball, stopping play for a possible injury is fully justified as MTD indicated. It's one of those HTBT situations, and since it's purely hypothetical there's no right answer. It could be common, could be intentional or could be nothing depending on the specifics of the situation.
I thought that was what we were doing, covering the variables. If A1 is attempting to return to the court and B1 makes a point of contacting him, you could conceivably have a foul on B1.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

I'm not calling an IF on this one....but I'm also not letting B1 lose the ball.

I'm inclined to just kill the play and restart.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 07:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not calling an IF on this one....but I'm also not letting B1 lose the ball.

I'm inclined to just kill the play and restart.
+1 with Camron and Tim if the contact was deemed accidental without intent.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Agree with just another ref - it doesn't fit the intentional definition. If it was purely accidental, I'd probably just blow the whistle and give it back to B for a throw in (can run the endline).
+1

Even though the ball is live in this situation, I see it as akin to dead-ball contact: ignore it unless the foul would be intentional or flagrant.