The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

A1 is attempting a throw-in. He holds the ball across the OOB line so that it is over the playing court. A2 reaches for ball and makes contact with ball while it is still in contact with A1's hands. What's the call?
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

It is a violation. See Case book play 7.6.3 Situation B (last year's book. I assume it's the same citation this year)
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:31am
Huck Finn

I think that may be wrong but I don't have my book. Can you type a quick summary of the case book play?
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Please note that it is A2 who touched the ball, not B1. It would be perfectly legal for B1 to smack the ball.

Here's a synopsis of the case book play:

During an attempted throw-in, A1holds the ball through the plane and hands it to A2. Ruling: Violation

I know that in the offered situation, A2 touched the ball instead of being handed the ball. However, I think the same ruling applies.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I think that may be wrong but I don't have my book. Can you type a quick summary of the case book play?
It's not wrong. A thrower cannot HAND the ball to a teammate. It must be passed.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:40am
Huck Finn

Red face

My bad, a friday assumption had me thinking the two players involved were NOT on the same team. If they are on the same team it is a violation. I'm sorry and tired.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
My bad, a friday assumption had me thinking the two players involved were NOT on the same team. If they are on the same team it is a violation. I'm sorry and tired.
No problem. I almost assumed the same thing when I first read the post. That's why I began my reply by highlighting who did the touching.

For future reference, let me tell you what I tell my wife:If you think I'm wrong, think again.

I don't know why she puts up with me.

Get some rest, tomegun
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I say the play is legal.

Guys,
BktBallRef and I had this debate last year and I know both of us still hold differing opinions.
We agree that handing the ball to a teammate is a violation, but I believe that there is no rule against a teammate merely touching or even grabbing the ball, if the thrower does not release it. I say that since no rule prohibits it; it is legal. Tony says it is a violation.
This was about a 5 page thread last year if I remember correctly, so use the google search and Tony and I can do something more constructive than rehash our positions.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 09:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevadaref, I have to agree with you. If the ball doesn't actually change hands, I've got to let it go. If, however, A2 causes A1 to lose control of the ball, I'm calling a violation for handing it off.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

OK, it's a violation, but what do you call - what's your hand signal? Is it considered travelling, or simply OOB?
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bwbuddy
OK, it's a violation, but what do you call - what's your hand signal? Is it considered travelling, or simply OOB?
"Throw-in violation." No hand signal (other than the open hand straight up).

Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: I say the play is legal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Guys,
BktBallRef and I had this debate last year and I know both of us still hold differing opinions.
We agree that handing the ball to a teammate is a violation, but I believe that there is no rule against a teammate merely touching or even grabbing the ball, if the thrower does not release it. I say that since no rule prohibits it; it is legal. Tony says it is a violation.
This was about a 5 page thread last year if I remember correctly, so use the google search and Tony and I can do something more constructive than rehash our positions.
So, what you're saying is that if A2 touches the ball, but doesn't ever get control, it's not a violation?!? What are the chances? Why would he touch the ball if he wasn't taking it? A fake? I don't understand your point here.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 01:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It could happen for a variety of reasons. An offensive player running by and bumping the ball. A2 trying to grab it, but A1 actually knowing the rule. Or A1 trying to hand it to A2, but A2 refusing knowing the rule.
Not thinking I can call a violation unless the hand off is complete (to the point where the thrower no longer has the ball.)
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 01:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
It could happen for a variety of reasons. An offensive player running by and bumping the ball. A2 trying to grab it, but A1 actually knowing the rule. Or A1 trying to hand it to A2, but A2 refusing knowing the rule.
Not thinking I can call a violation unless the hand off is complete (to the point where the thrower no longer has the ball.)
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Thank you. So you're not calling it if A2 tries to grab the ball, but A1 is pulling back? But you keep counting, right? And then if A2 lets go, no harm done? I see your point. I'd be interested in hearing the opposing view.