The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 11:30pm
We don't rent pigs

Officials dismissed between games

Earlier this week at a local jr. high, the following allegedly happened. (all third hand, wasn't there, didn't see it) Girls game tied at the end of regulation. Just before the buzzer, home inbounds and H1 takes it to the basket. V1 contests the shot and H1 is knocked to the floor without a whistle. Referee is instructing timer to put 3 minutes on the clock for overtime. Home coach, as one might imagine, is unhappy with the no call and voices his opinion. Ref calls a T. V1 goes to the line, makes one, and the Ref declares the game over. Home principal comes in and demands that the overtime should be played. Ref refuses. The crew is sent packing.

The principal (former player and coach) and the visitors' chief of police (former player, coach, and official) called the boys game.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

wow... nice to know that school supports the officials so well.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

How is this even possible? I'd be calling my assignor as soon as I'm out of the building and sending a letter to the state.

And you best believe I'd be getting paid for both games in this situation!

P.S. Shouldn't the overtime period have began with free throw since the technical was not part of the 4th quarter?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

We all know that will be a fairly called game - NOT
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 02:31am
I miss being on the floor

Why would the officials agree to leave? Why didn't they toss the principal out of the gym? He may be the principal, but he's just a spectator, just like everyone else.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Why would the officials agree to leave? Why didn't they toss the principal out of the gym? He may be the principal, but he's just a spectator, just like everyone else.
The principle may be the one that hired them....and has the power to fire them. Perhaps he exercised that right.

Plus, the refs were wrong. Their incorrect application of the rules did take away the chance for the home team to win.

There may be a clause to allow the school to not pay them when they call the game before it should be over (which they effectively did) in absence of a forfeit situation.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 06:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Give me some popcorn.....

Quote:
Why didn't they toss the principal out of the gym? He may be the principal, but he's just a spectator, just like everyone else.
I'd have like to see this.........
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 07:42am
Official & Member

To be fair...this sounds like a pretty big screw up by the officials. The principal was correct. Start OT with the FT's and play on. The officials screwed the home team regardless of whether the principal, home coach, or even the police chief ARE all jackasses. This is a scenario where lack of knowledge of the rules and poor game management skill makes the officials look bad and open to criticism.

The principal had no business dismissing them and the state and local assn. should step in and follow up, but the officials created this mess themselves. Hard to expect a great deal of sympathy from any governing body looking at this objectively.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Dec 18, 2010 at 11:35am.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Did they get paid for BOTH games?

BTW, who do you get to do these lower level games?

Most of the time it's less experienced officials.

We've all screwed up. It's part of the learning process.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He may be the principal, but he's just a spectator, just like everyone else.
He may also be game administration.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. Yes, the crew got the rule wrong on when to shoot.
2. They're a middle school crew. I know a lot of middle school guys who'd get this one wrong. We've seen some self-professed varsity officials come here that probably would get this wrong.
3. Do you really think the principal knew the rule? I don't.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Yep the officials got it wrong. Had the game not been tied, the game would have been over and the T would have been irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Since the game was tied when time expired, the game was still in progress since an extra period was required. The T was awarded between periods at that point and this the extra period should have started with the foul shots for the T with ball awarded to V team at division line opposite table side.

Still don't like the idea of the principal and visitor's CoP calling the game as they have too much interest in who wins and whoever loses could probably protest the game (although at the MS level does it really matter?)

Personally I enjoy calling MS games. I enjoy that age group and while the coaches/players and fans can cause a ruckus at times, it isn't near the level of HS. True though, I have called with some fairly inexperienced officials but I just remember that I was one myself once. And although I have been calling for several years, I still make mistakes sometimes - even in the MS games.

BTW, I thought OT was 4 minutes ?!?!?!?
Robby
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
BTW, I thought OT was 4 minutes ?!?!?!?
Robby
I am going to assume that they do not play 8 minute quarters at that level. So it would be half of the quarter length. I am assuming that they played 6 minutes as that is what is played in many areas that I am personally familiar with.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Had the game not been tied, the game would have been over and the T would have been irrelevant to the outcome of the game.
Wanna re-think that and get back to us?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:54pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am going to assume that they do not play 8 minute quarters at that level. So it would be half of the quarter length. I am assuming that they played 6 minutes as that is what is played in many areas that I am personally familiar with.
I've worked middle school games that have used 6 minute quarters, and some have used 7 or 8. It's really up to that local league.

Recently, I had an MS game that had eight-minute quarters. I called a marginal foul in the first minute, which led to two made visitors free throws. At halftime, the score was Home 51, Visitors 2.

We played six-minute quarters after that.