The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 01:03pm
Livin' The Dream

Doing a Regional Tourney Game last night and my partner noticed that another official was at the game as a spectator/fan. No big deal. I didn't know the guy, so I thought nothing of it. But I did notice that he chose to sit at mid-court on the stage by himself. Most of the fans were in the bleachers on the other side.
The game was going fine, then we started hearing comments coming from his direction, and sure enough it was him.
A few more comments were made and in the second half after he realized his team was out of it he left. But after the game he met us as we headed into the locker room and wanted to shake our hands and tell us good game. Needless to say he got less than a warm response.

Would you say something to him next time you saw him or just forget about it?

[Edited by tw1ns on Feb 23rd, 2003 at 04:28 PM]
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 08:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tw1ns

Would you say something to him next time you saw him or just forget about it?

I don't knowingly deal two-faced people.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 08:23pm
Administrator

The official in the stands acted in an unethical and unprofessional manner. I would recommend that you and your partner compose a letter to your StateHSAA describing in detail this official's conduct and file a formal complaint with your StateHSAA.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

...and to purposely put himself in a position where he sticks out. This guy needs reported, then he can sit with the home crowd and make an ars out of himself. I think you fellas went easy on him. He should be thanking you for not slapping him silly.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I had the exact same thing happen to me last night in a boys Area championship game. His son was playing on one of the teams and he was standing up, waving his arms at me and making a general *** of himself the entire game. Although I never made eye contact with him, I could CLEARLY hear his voice trying to talk with me about how the kids are "getting hammered" under the basket, and I needed to call that.

I guess this could be made into one of those mastercard type commercials.

Tickets to son's playoff games......$8.00

Team colored program to curl up and yell at refs...$4.00

Power to determine that official's next year schedule....PRICELESS.

Probably not a good idea to go to a game where the Chapter president is calling with the assigning secretary and act like an ***.. Doubt he will get much more than a 1A game all next year if I don't put him on probation.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 11:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
I could CLEARLY hear his voice trying to talk with me about how the kids are "getting hammered" under the basket, and I needed to call that.
Fine - tell him you'll find out who's letting young kids get hammered and that you will report that person to the police for furnishing alcohol to minors.

Then ask your association to put this guy on double secret probation.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 11:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[Then ask your association to put this guy on double secret probation.
Then if he screws up again, they'll confiscate everything, even the stuff he didn't steal. They'll even take the bar,
the whole _____ing bar.*

*This is a movie reference, perhaps somewhat obscure, but just as relevant to quality officiating as Bozo the Clown
and Howdy Doody.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
Probably not a good idea to go to a game where the Chapter president is calling with the assigning secretary and act like an ***.. Doubt he will get much more than a 1A game all next year if I don't put him on probation.
Let me get this straight...

You and your partner are the chapter president and assigning secretary, and he's yelling about your reffing?!!?!?!

Do his knuckles drag on the ground, or what?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 02:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Reporting?

I do not know if reporting this information is necessary or even warranted. Personally I know of no procedure to report any official because of this matter. This is a your word against his kind of situation. Just put this in your memory bank and do not recommend this guy for anything or request his officiating skills in anything that involves you. If need be, tell spread the word about what he did. There are other ways to skin a cat than writing a report on this.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
*This is a movie reference, perhaps somewhat obscure,
When it follows "double secret probation", it's not obscure anymore
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
What is even funnier is that this game was at a location where they have plasma screens on both ends and TV cameras to broadcast the games live inside the arena. A couple of times he was on the BIG SCREEN acting like an idiot. He hasn't reffed for a couple of years because of his son playing but he plans on coming back next season. We already have a special board meeting set up with him at the beginning of next year if he does come back. If he doesn't, oh well, I guess he is just another ignorant fan..
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:39pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
[
*This is a movie reference, perhaps somewhat obscure, but just as relevant to quality officiating as Bozo the Clown
and Howdy Doody.
Now why do you want to go dissin on Bozo like that??? That's just downright nasty!!

Seriously - these guys are jerks, but what good will reporting them do? State and local boards have enough to do already, and I doubt that these things will be high on their priority lists...I also agree with Mr. Rutledge - these things have a way of "taking care of" themselves... the word will get around, and they will pay for their actions...let it go and forget about it...

PS: I can't believe I actually agreed with Rutledge...wonders never cease!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Reporting?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I do not know if reporting this information is necessary or even warranted. Personally I know of no procedure to report any official because of this matter. This is a your word against his kind of situation. Just put this in your memory bank and do not recommend this guy for anything or request his officiating skills in anything that involves you. If need be, tell spread the word about what he did. There are other ways to skin a cat than writing a report on this.

Peace
Many officials association's have an ethics form set up for something exactly like this and it would be just a matter of filling out the form and turning it in to the assignor. It's a lot more effective than spreading the word...since a person like this would most likely deny it and turn it into a "he said/she said" thing.

Z
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Just wondering...If I do HS ball and I"m still in college and I go to my schools basketball game and heckle the officials, is that unethical?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
Just wondering...If I do HS ball and I"m still in college and I go to my schools basketball game and heckle the officials, is that unethical?
If you don't know them personally, and maybe if you do, it's very unprofessional if it's about calls, no calls and judgment.

If ya wanna dance, ya gotta pay the fiddler.