Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Wow!

University President Charles Steger Statement on Marcus Vick

January 6, 2006

Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick has been permanently dismissed from the Hokie football program due to a cumulative effect of legal infractions and unsportsmanlike play.

Virginia Tech had suspended Vick in 2004. The university provided one last opportunity for Vick to become a citizen of the university and re-admitted him in January 2005, with the proviso that any future problems would result in automatic dismissal from the team.

Head Football Coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother this afternoon and informed the quarterback and his family of the University's decision. His recent actions are unfortunate and we wish him well in his future endeavors.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

And, of course, he just skips scot-free to the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...ory?id=2282642

Well, that's the theory. I don't know where he fits in the NFL from a talent standpoint. From a threat-to-society standpoint, I think he fits in just fine.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Can hardly wait to see how the "den of thieves" (otherwise known as NFL owners) deal with this. On the one hand they can try to use his problems as leverage against him in the contract negotiations. But on the other, how many of them are willing to let him slide down in the draft order to a spot where they can legitimately offer him less than players around him?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 11:59am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
Can hardly wait to see how the "den of thieves" (otherwise known as NFL owners) deal with this. On the one hand they can try to use his problems as leverage against him in the contract negotiations. But on the other, how many of them are willing to let him slide down in the draft order to a spot where they can legitimately offer him less than players around him?
That is sad isn't it? The guy has problems and all they think of is can we get a good player cheaper?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

It isn't the NFL owners' responsibility to deal with Vick's problems. Its their job to improve their team. If they feel Vick can do that, then they need to consider drafting him and offering him a contract. There is, however, a caveat. I believe history has shown that bad behavior can mean more trouble for a team than whatever the upside is. See Lawrence Phillips. Thus, an NFL owner that thinks he 1) has an easy score in Vick and/or 2) can ignore his transgressions might very well pay dearly for it down the road.

It is amazing how professional sports organizations will take on players when if the same person were applying for an office job in the organization, and had the job skills relative to that of the player's on field skills, how bad behavior would eliminate him from any job consideration.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

I feel sorry for the locker room of the team that takes a chance on this guy. They couldn't handle him under the watchfull eye of the NCAA. All hell will break loose when he is free and has a truck load of money. Also the fact that he dismisses his action as an accident instead of taking responciblity highlights his character and the doom that is instore for the team that drafts him.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 10:29am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
It isn't the NFL owners' responsibility to deal with Vick's problems. Its their job to improve their team. If they feel Vick can do that, then they need to consider drafting him and offering him a contract. There is, however, a caveat. I believe history has shown that bad behavior can mean more trouble for a team than whatever the upside is. See Lawrence Phillips. Thus, an NFL owner that thinks he 1) has an easy score in Vick and/or 2) can ignore his transgressions might very well pay dearly for it down the road.

It is amazing how professional sports organizations will take on players when if the same person were applying for an office job in the organization, and had the job skills relative to that of the player's on field skills, how bad behavior would eliminate him from any job consideration.
I have to disagree with you. It is their responsibility. They are taking a troubled youth and going to pay him Millions of dollars. He may kill somebody or himself or many other issues could happen. They need to responsibly help this kid before worst things happen. One of the best things that could happen is that he never gets a chance to play in the NFL. Has he earned the right to play in the NFL after his cureent college issues?

This a major society problem. People have to understand and learn right from wrong. Then learn to take responsibility from themselves. If any NFL owner cannot see this kid has no clue about right and wrong and lying. Why give him millions and send him out of control?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

The owners as a whole do not have a responsibility but the one who takes a chance on him DOES have a responsibility to do whatever it takes to try to modify his behavior.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 11:56am
tpaul

Quote:
The owners as a whole do not have a responsibility but the one who takes a chance on him DOES have a responsibility to do whatever it takes to try to modify his behavior.
Yes that is what I meant.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

One quote stood out to me and it wasn't Vick's. It was his Mom's quote:

"Everybody does it in the NFL and college football," Boddie, speaking to The Associated Press by phone from her home, said. "He just got caught doing it, and since he's been in trouble in the past everything just got blown all out of proportion."

The article says a little further down, "Boddie acknowledged that her son 'did the wrong thing' when he stomped on an opponent during the Gator Bowl"

OK Ms Vick, your son did something wrong, but it is okay because everyone else does it? I can just hear my own mother right now. If everyone else jumped off a bridge.....

Ms. Vick, quit making excuses for your son, get in his face and tell him to clean up his act or the NFL really will mean, NOT FOR LONG for your son.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

He has already been caught with the wacky weed once. He may have more problems than he can handle when he has that kind of money from the NFL. I hope he gets his life in order!
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

He might kill someone? I mean, Vick (actually both Vicks) seem to be somewhat social miscreants, but killers?

Unless you mean accidentally, a Leonard Little situation.

The NFL has long looked the other way on talented players who are troubled - as long as they remain talented. The instant Randy Moss can no longer do the job, his team will suddenly discover that he's a bad guy.

And I don't know for sure, but where does Marcus Vick fit in the NFL? You want a guy this unbalanced at quarterback for you? You need to be able to lead as a quarterback - I don't know that you can do that when guys can't respect you.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 04:01pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
He might kill someone? I mean, Vick (actually both Vicks) seem to be somewhat social miscreants, but killers?

Unless you mean accidentally, a Leonard Little situation.

The NFL has long looked the other way on talented players who are troubled - as long as they remain talented. The instant Randy Moss can no longer do the job, his team will suddenly discover that he's a bad guy.

And I don't know for sure, but where does Marcus Vick fit in the NFL? You want a guy this unbalanced at quarterback for you? You need to be able to lead as a quarterback - I don't know that you can do that when guys can't respect you.
What does it matter if it is "accidentally?" Somebody still dies because of his stupidty or wrong actions. I do agree he isn't a great fit for an NFL team but one team will risk a few dollars to see if he can help them.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 04:30pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
To be somewhat fair to Vick, Moss had similar (admittedly less severe) problems before the NFL. Yet Moss has turned out to be a great athelete, and at least a decent human being.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 04:37pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie

All companies, even NFL teams, have social responsiblities. Employing athletes that are terrible examples, regardless of their talent and ability to help the team succeed, is a failure to be socially responsible. How many kids look up to these athletes (despite Barkley's mantra of "I am not a role model")? How many kids are likely to imitate their behavior?

As officals, we are in a uniquely important position to counteract such behavior. When a kid comes on the field with a sharpie to autograph the ball after a touchdown, give them a flag. If they stomp on another player, toss 'em. We have a hugely important part in helping keep this from happening. Some part failed in Vick's development, be it the parents, teachers, coaches, officials, or whatever.

Regardless of those failures in the past, the NFL teams are still responsible for fostering good citizenship. Just because someone turns 18 does not mean the are done growing up.