Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Wanna re-think that and get back to us?
Let me clarify my statement. Had the game not been tied AND the shooting of the 2 free throws (from the technical) would not have decided (1) whether the game would have went into overtime or (2) changed the outcome of the game, then they would be irrelevant to the game. When I wrote my original statement I was thinking of the score being at the point where the Technical foul would not have changed the outcome of the game. Granted the T shots would need to be competed if the score is close enough that those shots could change the outcome of the regulation game.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Still don't like the idea of the principal and visitor's CoP calling the game as they have too much interest in who wins and whoever loses could probably protest the game (although at the MS level does it really matter?)
Protest to who? Most MS leagues don't have a state governing body.

Plus, they had one adult from each team doing the game. Why is it hard to believe they could have been impartial. I've seen a few schools that use a couple of their home varsity players to ref freshmen games (Oregon doesn't require certified officials below JV...though most do use certified officials).
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Protest to who? Most MS leagues don't have a state governing body.

Plus, they had one adult from each team doing the game. Why is it hard to believe they could have been impartial. I've seen a few schools that use a couple of their home varsity players to ref freshmen games (Oregon doesn't require certified officials below JV...though most do use certified officials).
Thus why I said, for MS games it probably doesn't matter. Here we require certified officials at every level - ES, MS, JV and HS. Also, no official is assigned to a school game where an immediate family member coaches, plays or ATTENDS so I can not officiate a school game at a school where one of my kids attends even if he/she doesn't play ball there. Not saying they can't be impartial just saying that it isn't a best case scenario.

Robby
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Middle school games here have to be 6 minute quarters. 9th grade games can be 6 or 7 minutes, and JV games can be anywhere from 6-8.

We play a 2 minute overtime period for any game with quarters under 8 minutes.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:03pm
We don't rent pigs

To now fill in a couple of the gaps: Jr. high around here is totally unregulated.
A school can use anybody they want to call the games. Most do get their officials from one of the associations, but it is also not uncommon for a school to make a deal with one official to handle its games.

"You call them and bring somebody with you."

Such was the case here.

The guy who made the call has been a registered official for 10 years or so, and has a considerable amount of varsity experience.

Apparently both the home coach and the principal both did know the correct rule, and obviously the official in charge did not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Dark Side ...

Back in the olden days, when I was coaching middle school basketball, there was one school on our schedule that would use two of their physical education teachers for all their home games. These two guys were pretty good. They made some odd and peculiar calls, but were totally unbiased, making odd and peculiar calls against both teams.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Apparently both the home coach and the principal both did know the correct rule, and obviously the official in charge did not.
While this is possible, it's not necessarily the case from what you wrote in the OP. I took it that they were upset with the official making the call/no-call he made and insisted on overtime anyway
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I've worked middle school games that have used 6 minute quarters, and some have used 7 or 8. It's really up to that local league.

Recently, I had an MS game that had eight-minute quarters. I called a marginal foul in the first minute, which led to two made visitors free throws. At halftime, the score was Home 51, Visitors 2.

We played six-minute quarters after that.
True, but since the officials in the OP were going with a 3 minute overtime, you can assumet he quarters were 6.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Let me clarify my statement. Had the game not been tied AND the shooting of the 2 free throws (from the technical) would not have decided (1) whether the game would have went into overtime or (2) changed the outcome of the game, then they would be irrelevant to the game. When I wrote my original statement I was thinking of the score being at the point where the Technical foul would not have changed the outcome of the game. Granted the T shots would need to be competed if the score is close enough that those shots could change the outcome of the regulation game.
That's better. Good job.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 04:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While this is possible, it's not necessarily the case from what you wrote in the OP. I took it that they were upset with the official making the call/no-call he made and insisted on overtime anyway
I actually talked to the coach, and he stated the rule correctly. It was my understanding that he knew at he time, as opposed to being made aware afterward. As far as what the principal knew, whether the coach told her the rule, or she already knew, or didn't know but was upset, I'm not sure.

Lonesome Dove