The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

A few questions

Had a situation the other night. Team A fouls team B. Team B's player is hurt a sub goes to the table to check in as player B heads toward the sideline. Just so happens team B is in the 1 and 1 bonus. I asked player B if she was okay to shoot the free throws and she did. Now what would I have to do if player B thought they were in no condition to shoot the 1 and 1?

Had a situation the other night where team A is clearly violating the baseline on a throw in. I didn't call anything because I wasn't sure how to administer it
Do I go to the table and report a team warning and each additional violation is a team technical?

Still a little confused on hand signals. When I am the trail official on a free throw. I understand to give a hand count away from the shooter. However do I put my hand up when the shot goes up and chop it down to signal the clock to start if necessary or to signal a point scored? If i'm a trail official on a throw in in a teams front court do I have my hand up and chop the clock along with the lead official?

If I'm a trail official in the back court and the ball handler is clear on the other side of the court is it okay if I move in towards the center of the court to get a better view or should I work the sidelines?

I see a lot of situations where Team A player will shoot and team b screens them out after they shot but before their feet hit the ground is this a shooting foul?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official View Post
Had a situation the other night. Team A fouls team B. Team B's player is hurt a sub goes to the table to check in as player B heads toward the sideline. Just so happens team B is in the 1 and 1 bonus. I asked player B if she was okay to shoot the free throws and she did. Now what would I have to do if player B thought they were in no condition to shoot the 1 and 1?
I'm a little confused here because of your way of identifying players, but the substitute for the injured player shoots the one-and-one if the injured player can not stay in the game.

Quote:
Had a situation the other night where team A is clearly violating the baseline on a throw in. I didn't call anything because I wasn't sure how to administer it
Do I go to the table and report a team warning and each additional violation is a team technical?
For future reference, Team A is the offense. I assume you mean the defense (Team B) is breaking the boundary plane on a throw-in by Team A? If so, blow the whistle and report a delay of game warning to the scorer and Team B's coach. If any of the four delay of game situations happen after that, it is a team technical.

Quote:
Still a little confused on hand signals. When I am the trail official on a free throw. I understand to give a hand count away from the shooter. However do I put my hand up when the shot goes up and chop it down to signal the clock to start if necessary or to signal a point scored? If i'm a trail official on a throw in a teams front court do I have my hand up and chop the clock along with the lead official?
As the Trail on a free throw, I count with my front hand and chop the clock with my hand that is closest to the table. When the free thrower starts their motion, I raise my hand and close down toward the endline, then chop it if the free throw is missed. Do nothing if it is made, as the new Trail will chop the clock.

You only mirror the Lead's chop as the Trail in 3-whistle mechanics.

Quote:
If I'm a trail official in the back court and the ball handler is clear on the other side of the court is it okay if I move in towards the center of the court to get a better view or should I work the sidelines?
I assume you mean in press coverage? Yes, if the ball goes to the other side of the court, work toward the middle to get a better angle if you need to.

Quote:
I see a lot of situations where Team A player will shoot and team b screens them out after they shot but before their feet hit the ground is this a shooting foul?
A's player is still an airborne shooter until they get a foot back to the floor. If the contact is significant enough for a foul, they are considered a shooter until that happens. If it is after the shooter returns to the floor and he/she is displaced it is a non-shooting foul.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the Team B player was not able to shoot, the coach for Team B would pick a replacement player off the bench to shoot the free throws. Allow any subs at the table at the same time.

Quote:
Assuming the violating team was just crossing the plane, first time would be a delay-of-game warning. Stop play and report the warning to the table. Subsequent violation are a team technical. Report the technical as you would any other.

Quote:
Still a little confused on hand signals. When I am the trail official on a free throw. I understand to give a hand count away from the shooter. However do I put my hand up when the shot goes up and chop it down to signal the clock to start if necessary or to signal a point scored? If i'm a trail official on a throw in in a teams front court do I have my hand up and chop the clock along with the lead official?
Trail in two person is responsible for the 10 second count and chopping in time on a missed free throw. Count for the free throw and when the shot goes up, raise your hand and be ready to chop time in. As far as chopping in time in the frontcourt, it'll depend on your state mechanics. I believe strictly doing NFHS mechanics, only the administering official chops time in. Here in Texas, we have only the trail chopping time in on frontcourt throw-ins.

Quote:
It's perfectly fine to move in when the ball is away from you...especially when there is defensive pressure on the ball. It'll help you with a.) your angle to see the play and b.) believably...coach won't get on you for making a call across the court...even when it is your call

Quote:
This is a HTBT play. Is the player making contact with the shooter? Is the defender not allowing the player to land due to the contact? Remember, we have to protect the shooter...which means all the way up and down. If the contact affects the landing, then call a foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 01:47am. Reason: spelling
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

As the Trail on a free throw, I count with my front hand and chop the clock with my hand that is closest to the table. When the free thrower starts their motion, I raise my hand and close down toward the endline, then chop it if the free throw is missed. Do nothing if it is made, as the new Trail will chop the clock.

What do you mean by "close down toward the endline."
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It means to walk toward the endline.

As Trail on a free throw, I start about half way between the lane and the sideline at about the top of the key. When the free thrower starts his motion, I raise my hand to chop the clock and start to walk toward the endline and the sideline (Basically toward the corner), watching to make sure the shooter doesn't violate, making sure the players on the other side of the lane who are my responsibility don't violate, and calling the violation if the ball doesn't hit the rim. I end up a bit below the free throw line extended and probably 6-8 feet from the sideline.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He means as trail to move closer to the endline as the shot goes up. You don't want to bail out and start heading to the backcourt and leave your partner to officiate all the rebounding action by himself.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Take a step or two toward the endline (toward the basket) to cover any rebounding action.

Whenever trail and the shot goes up, hold your position or step toward the action. Don't 'bail out' and start running down court.

Call your assignor; find a local association and a mentor.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

thanks guys
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Can anyone tell me why this is only done in 3-man?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Can anyone tell me why this is only done in 3-man?
Probably because lead and trail are on the same side of the basket in 3-whistle.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Probably because lead and trail are on the same side of the basket in 3-whistle.
I understand that. My question is why mirror at all in 3-person but not in 2-person? Does the trail block the clock operator from seeing the lead?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As an aside, I'm really liking this new mechanic. I was responsible for clock at the table during my son's grade school level game recently and was fortunate to have a couple of officials with h.s. 3 whistle experience doing the game. Instead of crooning my neck to see the lead on end line throws on table side, I could look at trail and be just fine. Just a little thing, but it made things a lot easier. Good to see this 3 man mechanic filter down to 2 man mechanic at lower level ball.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 12:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
For future reference, Team A is the offense. I assume you mean the defense (Team B) is breaking the boundary plane on a throw-in by Team A? If so, blow the whistle and report a delay of game warning to the scorer and Team B's coach. If any of the four delay of game situations happen after that, it is a team technical.
Correct. Tell the scorer to put a DOG (Delay Of Game)warning down on that team's page. If you're working a little kids game, use a PUPPY warning.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I understand that. My question is why mirror at all in 3-person but not in 2-person? Does the trail block the clock operator from seeing the lead?
He answered your question. The Trail and Lead are on the same side of the court. In 2-man mechanics, the Trail would have a hard time seeing when the ball is touched in the corner right in front of the Lead. Not so in 3-man.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

A little preventive officiating can help with throw-ins. If you know the defense will pressure the thrower, remind the defender "don't reach through" along with reminding the thrower "you've got a spot".

At T on a free throw, I do all of my "hand work" with the same hand. Count with the outside hand until the throw is released (after that, there is no need to count), then raise that hand to prepare to chop the clock. To be honest, though, there is so much to watch and think about during a free throw that while it looks like I'm counting...I'm really only flicking my wrist while thinking about all the things that are likely to occur (of which the thrower going past 10 isn't one)

As T in back court in 2 person you want to mentally divide the court into "vertical thirds". You don't want to be farther from the play than the adjacent third. So if the ball goes into the "far" third, you should be at least in the middle third. If it's in the middle third, you can be in the "near" third or the middle third, wherever you'll get the best angle on the play and can still get to the next likely play.

In 2 person the T does not normally chop the clock. However, if the situation warrants, you can certainly do it. I had an end of game situation Saturday where during a time out the clock operator specifically asked the L to "clearly chop". The throw-in was on the end line on the non-table side of the court. My partner and I decided that to accommodate the timer (and in doing so help ourselves) the T would mirror the chop. Unusual, but effective.

As for the "box out" that doesn't allow the shooter to land, I had one of those in a men's game last night. If it had happened in a women's game, the result would not have been so painful and the shooter would not have been walking so gingerly. The answer to the fouler's question was simple, "You have to let the shooter land".