The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Questions

I have been lurking for quite a while and learning a lot from many of you. I am about to enter my third year of umpiring Fed and ASA. I still have a son and daughter in high school both playing ball, so I unfortunately have only umpired about 25-35 each of fast and slow pitch games. I plan on becoming more vocal now and asking questions this year about situations that I encounter...and some of these questions may be downright stupid so I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance. I haven't started my season yet this year...as a native Texan, I really hate that we can't start ball up here in Indiana until April!!!

My first question is about mechanics. R1 on first, stealing second. The pitch gets away from the catcher, either a WP or a PB (doesn't matter). Who takes the runner to third in this situation? Do I, as a BU, chase the runner to third? If so, do I stay outside, or do I come inside? Last year, I found myself chasing runners from the outside many times, and even though I am able to hustle enough to do that, it still didn't just feel quite right.

Second questions concerns walking the line as a BU. I gather that this used to be a mechanic for ASA, as my instructors at a recent ASA school kept referring to it as a return to a previous mechanic. It was a little uncomfortable for me, but I'm sure I just need to get used to it. Did Fed change to this mechanic also?

Time for a stupid question now. What exactly is a blocked hat? I kinda think that I know what that means, but would appreciate someone enlightening me.

I'll conclude by thanking you all in advance for your patience and help. I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself how fortunate I am that I'm doing softball instead of baseball because those guys over on the baseball board are absolutely brutal!
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
I have been lurking for quite a while and learning a lot from many of you. I am about to enter my third year of umpiring Fed and ASA. I still have a son and daughter in high school both playing ball, so I unfortunately have only umpired about 25-35 each of fast and slow pitch games. I plan on becoming more vocal now and asking questions this year about situations that I encounter...and some of these questions may be downright stupid so I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance. I haven't started my season yet this year...as a native Texan, I really hate that we can't start ball up here in Indiana until April!!!
Welcome!
Quote:
My first question is about mechanics. R1 on first, stealing second. The pitch gets away from the catcher, either a WP or a PB (doesn't matter). Who takes the runner to third in this situation? Do I, as a BU, chase the runner to third? If so, do I stay outside, or do I come inside? Last year, I found myself chasing runners from the outside many times, and even though I am able to hustle enough to do that, it still didn't just feel quite right.
You absolutely come inside and you go all the way to 3rd. I'll give you credit, taking the outside lane against these girls all the way to 3rd! Bravo.

You cut this and you have a better position and are there sooner.

Quote:
Second questions concerns walking the line as a BU. I gather that this used to be a mechanic for ASA,
Its their big thing STILL.

Quote:
as my instructors at a recent ASA school kept referring to it as a return to a previous mechanic. It was a little uncomfortable for me, but I'm sure I just need to get used to it. Did Fed change to this mechanic also?
ASA extended it out farther. As far as I know, FED did not, but I'll leave this to another as I'm unfortunately not doing FED ball this year.
Quote:
Time for a stupid question now. What exactly is a blocked hat? I kinda think that I know what that means, but would appreciate someone enlightening me.
This is opposite of a propeller hat... ie a hat awaiting a propeller installation.

At the top you form a crease.

Quote:

I'll conclude by thanking you all in advance for your patience and help. I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself how fortunate I am that I'm doing softball instead of baseball because those guys over on the baseball board are absolutely brutal!
ppffff, mostly full of bull.. you'd almost think all they do is eject people.

Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to have you around, Bob.

Baseball is a different game - different culture, so umps need a different approach at times. And many seem to use that same approach when they talk to each other on a board. Talk to one over a beer, and you'll get more of an understanding. So much for what I think things look like.

Anyway, you had some questions.
1-"My first question is about mechanics. R1 on first, stealing second. The pitch gets away from the catcher, either a WP or a PB (doesn't matter). Who takes the runner to third in this situation? Do I, as a BU, chase the runner to third? If so, do I stay outside, or do I come inside? Last year, I found myself chasing runners from the outside many times, and even though I am able to hustle enough to do that, it still didn't just feel quite right."

For Fed, the responsibility (with no other runners on) of R1 at 3B on this play belongs to the plate ump. In an organization where the responsibility is the base ump's, the plate ump must be ready to help, 'cuz BU can't always get where he needs to be to make a valid call. But in that organization, the plate ump is helping & the responsibility is the base ump's. In Fed, it belongs to the plate ump.
When I am the base ump, I will stay outside. If I go inside, I will be too far behind R1 and will not be able to get the angle I want. But, I am able to outrun the vast majority of the players I see.

2-"Second questions concerns walking the line as a BU. I gather that this used to be a mechanic for ASA, as my instructors at a recent ASA school kept referring to it as a return to a previous mechanic. It was a little uncomfortable for me, but I'm sure I just need to get used to it. Did Fed change to this mechanic also?"

This can be a very good mechanic, if you take just a single step. I want my eyes still as the pitch is released - so the camera I'm picuring the play with is still. Start on the line, with your right foot touching/near the outside of the line. As the pitch starts, take a single step forward with your left foot. Your left foot is your pivot foot and doing this buys you a step advantage. I'll do this in all sanctioning bodies.

3-"...What exactly is a blocked hat? I kinda think that I know what that means, but would appreciate someone enlightening me."

A blocked hat is one with a crease in it at the brim. Some of us think that it looks better. Here's a link to another site that many of us visit & participate in. There is a writeup on how to fold & block a hat.
http://eteamz.active.com/softballumpires/
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
1-"My first question is about mechanics. R1 on first, stealing second. The pitch gets away from the catcher, either a WP or a PB (doesn't matter). Who takes the runner to third in this situation? Do I, as a BU, chase the runner to third? If so, do I stay outside, or do I come inside? Last year, I found myself chasing runners from the outside many times, and even though I am able to hustle enough to do that, it still didn't just feel quite right."

For Fed, the responsibility (with no other runners on) of R1 at 3B on this play belongs to the plate ump. In an organization where the responsibility is the base ump's, the plate ump must be ready to help, 'cuz BU can't always get where he needs to be to make a valid call. But in that organization, the plate ump is helping & the responsibility is the base ump's. In Fed, it belongs to the plate ump.
When I am the base ump, I will stay outside. If I go inside, I will be too far behind R1 and will not be able to get the angle I want. But, I am able to outrun the vast majority of the players I see.
Steve's a little faster than most of us and likes to show off.

Speaking ASA, when there is a passed/dropped ball, the PU's priority is 1) avoid a collision with F2, 2) find the ball and 3) move to a position which will not interfere with the defense attempting to make a play. Your scenario needs to be the BU's call. It's not that big of a deal as there is only one runner.

Moving inside is where the BU needs to go, but not toward 3B. Head toward the 3B side of the PP. This will give you a great angle and allow you to see any possible play no matter where the throw originates. This is the same mechanic a BU would use on a wild throw to 2B on a steal attempt.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Mike said
"Steve's a little faster than most of us and likes to show off. "

Guilty as charged.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
This is the same mechanic a BU would use on a wild throw to 2B on a steal attempt.
Put me in the camp of those that go inside. As soon as you see the ball get past the catcher you know there is no throw to 2B and you can cut inside and follow the line suggested by Mike. Maybe not the best position for a call at 3B, but it is the same the PU would have. Also note that on a PB or WP the PU is pushed away from the plate, not necessarily towards 3B. And, as Mike noted, the PU's attention is focused at home.

However, Mike - I do not understand your last statement. On a steal attempt the BU should be on the outfield side of 2B. You don't know that you have a wild throw until the ball zips past you into CF. By then the runner is up and gone and you would be chasing (with your back to the throw coming from CF). I agree that BU should come inside (in case of a throw back to 2B), but any play at 3B belongs to the BU.

WMB
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Here is the How to Block a Hat item that Steve mentioned.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue

However, Mike - I do not understand your last statement. On a steal attempt the BU should be on the outfield side of 2B. You don't know that you have a wild throw until the ball zips past you into CF. By then the runner is up and gone and you would be chasing (with your back to the throw coming from CF). I agree that BU should come inside (in case of a throw back to 2B), but any play at 3B belongs to the BU.
WMB
I should have been more specific. My reference was to getting inside which shouldn't be that difficult.

On a wild throw on the steal, the BU comes inside, but not to cover 3B. The PU should pick up the runner going to 3B. If the PU cannot get to 3B for some reason, the BU needs to be ready to help and just being inside gives the BU a better shot than the PU 60' away.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Great! Now I have a much better understanding of where I need to be. My first year I asked this same question twice and was told both times to stay outside so that's what I've been doing, but I just knew it didn't feel right being out there, and the umpire manuals I've read only talk about what to do on a wild throw down to second.

Thanks for the help with the hat issue also!
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Kinda funny that this question is here. I mentioned this to my plate umpire in my last game pre-game-- that if I had a steal at 2nd base and the ball got away
and if I got caught "flat-footed" at 2nd that he should be heading down the
line to 3rd to make a possible call.
Damned that it did happen--and he did the right thing and made the call !
Communicate !!