The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Player Injury

Had a player injured in his offensive end Friday night - I thought seriously... looked up the court as the other team was heading the other way with the ball - made a judgement to whistle dead immediately to get coach out to help kid... do I have that authority by rule?
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 09:39pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
Had a player injured in his offensive end Friday night - I thought seriously... looked up the court as the other team was heading the other way with the ball - made a judgement to whistle dead immediately to get coach out to help kid... do I have that authority by rule?
Yes, you do. If - in YOUR judgment - the player is hurt badly, kill the play and get them help right now. It is a judgment call on your part.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2010, 10:11pm
This IS My Social Life

Which Body Part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
Had a player injured in his offensive end . . .
That musta hurt. I've never heard it called that before. Injuries to one's defensive end at least have more padding to cushion the blow.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Yes, you do. If - in YOUR judgment - the player is hurt badly, kill the play and get them help right now. It is a judgment call on your part.
This is correct, but Refsmitty should also be aware that the delay would be only a few seconds to allow the play to finish at the other end. I generally whistle once the player with the ball stops his drive to the basket (passes or shoots).

Very few injuries need those extra few seconds: I would stop play immediately for arterial bleeding (spraying blood), bleeding from the ears, and unconsciousness (possible cardiac issue).
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Smitty, I prepared this for my local board last season. I thought it might be helpful. If not, I won't be offended. (Please note that the NCAA rule for when to kill the play when the opponent is attacking the basket is different from the FED rule.)

DEALING WITH INJURIES DURING PLAY

A. Non-serious injuries

1. Examples: Twisted ankle, cramp, etc.
2. STAY WITH PLAYER!
3. If injured player’s team has the ball, or if injury occurs during a dead ball, blow whistle immediately.
4. If opponent has the ball, let them attack the basket.
5. As soon as they STOP attacking the basket, blow the whistle. Do this when:
-- the dribbler pulls up without an immediate pass.
-- the ball is passed AWAY from the basket.
-- a try is released.
6. When play is stopped, check the injured player.
-- If player says s/he is ok, player stays in the game and the game continues immediately.
-- If player need to be attended, start the replacement procedure (see below).

B. Serious injuries

1. Examples: Head hitting floor, knee injury, player on ground under basket.
2. STOP PLAY IMMEDIATELY!! Don’t wait. Player safety is our #1 priority.
3. Allow player to be attended on the court.
4. Once player has been removed from the court and the coach is back at the bench, then begin the replacement procedure.

C. In either case (serious or non-serious injury), if you beckon the coach or trainer – or if the coach or trainer comes on the floor without being beckoned – we MUST use the replacement procedure.

D. Replacement Procedure

1. Inform injured player’s coach that the player must be replaced OR the coach may request time-out and the player may remain in the game as long as s/he is ready to play at the end of the time-out.
2. Very important: the INJURED PLAYER’S TEAM must request the time-out in order for that player to remain in the game.
3. The team may use a 60-second or a 30-second time-out, as long as the player is ready to play at the end of the time-out.
4. If coach chooses to replace the injured player instead of using a time-out, instruct the timer to begin the 20-second replacement period, and sound a warning horn with 15 seconds remaining.
5. Allow the substitute and any other substitutes who properly reported into the game.

E. Resume play at the Point of Interruption.

1. If there was team control when you stopped play, then that team gets a throw-in at a designated spot closest to where the ball was. The shot clock is not reset.
2. If a try had been released when you stopped play, then there was no team control. So:
-- if the try was successful, resume with a throw-in anywhere along the endline for the team that did not score the basket.
-- if the try was not successful, resume with an alternating possession throw-in for the team that has the arrow. Reset the shot clock, even if the offense retains possession.
3. If a basket had been scored immediately prior to the injury, resume with a throw-in anywhere along the endline for the team that did not score the basket.
4. If you stopped play when free throws were going to be attempted, then resume with the free throws.
-- If the injured player was supposed to shoot the free throws, then the injured player’s substitute shoots the free throws.
-- Remember that the injured player’s coach chooses the substitute to attempt the free throws.

F. REMEMBER: you can stop play any time you believe there is a serious injury. Don’t allow a player to hold his knee in agony because you are worried about stopping a fast break. If you judge that it may be serious, stop play immediately.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 10:43am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This is correct, but Refsmitty should also be aware that the delay would be only a few seconds to allow the play to finish at the other end. I generally whistle once the player with the ball stops his drive to the basket (passes or shoots).

Very few injuries need those extra few seconds: I would stop play immediately for arterial bleeding (spraying blood), bleeding from the ears, and unconsciousness (possible cardiac issue).
Like I said, it's a judgment call...if I have a player hit their head hard, or go down and start screaming as they grab their knee, I am killing it right now. You can screw around with those few extra seconds if you want to...I choose not to take that risk.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Awesome - thanks

:d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckelias View Post
smitty, i prepared this for my local board last season. I thought it might be helpful. If not, i won't be offended. (please note that the ncaa rule for when to kill the play when the opponent is attacking the basket is different from the fed rule.)

dealing with injuries during play

a. Non-serious injuries

1. Examples: Twisted ankle, cramp, etc.
2. Stay with player!
3. If injured player’s team has the ball, or if injury occurs during a dead ball, blow whistle immediately.
4. If opponent has the ball, let them attack the basket.
5. As soon as they stop attacking the basket, blow the whistle. Do this when:
-- the dribbler pulls up without an immediate pass.
-- the ball is passed away from the basket.
-- a try is released.
6. When play is stopped, check the injured player.
-- if player says s/he is ok, player stays in the game and the game continues immediately.
-- if player need to be attended, start the replacement procedure (see below).

B. Serious injuries

1. Examples: Head hitting floor, knee injury, player on ground under basket.
2. Stop play immediately!! Don’t wait. Player safety is our #1 priority.
3. Allow player to be attended on the court.
4. Once player has been removed from the court and the coach is back at the bench, then begin the replacement procedure.

C. In either case (serious or non-serious injury), if you beckon the coach or trainer – or if the coach or trainer comes on the floor without being beckoned – we must use the replacement procedure.

D. Replacement procedure

1. Inform injured player’s coach that the player must be replaced or the coach may request time-out and the player may remain in the game as long as s/he is ready to play at the end of the time-out.
2. Very important: The injured player’s team must request the time-out in order for that player to remain in the game.
3. The team may use a 60-second or a 30-second time-out, as long as the player is ready to play at the end of the time-out.
4. If coach chooses to replace the injured player instead of using a time-out, instruct the timer to begin the 20-second replacement period, and sound a warning horn with 15 seconds remaining.
5. Allow the substitute and any other substitutes who properly reported into the game.

E. Resume play at the point of interruption.

1. If there was team control when you stopped play, then that team gets a throw-in at a designated spot closest to where the ball was. The shot clock is not reset.
2. If a try had been released when you stopped play, then there was no team control. So:
-- if the try was successful, resume with a throw-in anywhere along the endline for the team that did not score the basket.
-- if the try was not successful, resume with an alternating possession throw-in for the team that has the arrow. Reset the shot clock, even if the offense retains possession.
3. If a basket had been scored immediately prior to the injury, resume with a throw-in anywhere along the endline for the team that did not score the basket.
4. If you stopped play when free throws were going to be attempted, then resume with the free throws.
-- if the injured player was supposed to shoot the free throws, then the injured player’s substitute shoots the free throws.
-- remember that the injured player’s coach chooses the substitute to attempt the free throws.

F. Remember: You can stop play any time you believe there is a serious injury. Don’t allow a player to hold his knee in agony because you are worried about stopping a fast break. If you judge that it may be serious, stop play immediately.